1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Shooting slugs through chokes

Discussion in 'Bags, Gear And Load-Outs' started by John A., Jan 10, 2018.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

It has came up many times where someone has asked "can I shoot a slug through this choke or that choke?".

And I have seen a LOT of answers, including on this forum.

A while back, I saw this video and planned to embed it here because it answers that question and is the best explanation that I have seen.

Fast forward to 2:00 to get to the meat of the answer

2. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Thanks for posting the video John.
  3. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Grand Dads full choke single shot gun fired MANY 1-oz foster slugs during his lifetime and killed a buttload of white tail deer. I'm going to shoot some more maybe this weekend thru that break open shotgun!.
    MikeD and John A. like this.
  4. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

This info is definitely sticky worthy!
  5. John A.

This video was probably the best explanation I've ever seen on the subject.

In a project that I recently have began measuring for, I realized that my 1989 Remington barrel with a cylinder choke, which has apparently seen its' fair share of slugs through it, has actually opened up to what would equate to be a NEGATIVE choke. It is currently .740" at the muzzle.
  6. GT_80

GT_80 .270 WIN

Paul Harrel has a lot of good videos on it too. I have a 500 20 gauge with what was a 28" barrel that was modified to be 19" barrel and I tried shooting slugs out of it and they were way off aim- I wondered if the whole barrel was tapered or just the end where a choke would have been. Or maybe it's just me. :) I don't even think I have a bead on that barrel.
  7. GT_80

GT_80 .270 WIN

Actually Pauls was more on smooth versus rifled, but I know he has done testing on buckshot versus slugs in hunting with smooth , choked, and rifled barrels I believe..

meanstreak and Elbert Garrett like this.
  8. John A.

He has some good videos. I like his honest and down to earth style. He keeps things simple and honest. Sometimes funny too.

GT_80 and meanstreak like this.
  9. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Good videos. Thanks for posting guys.
  10. GT_80

GT_80 .270 WIN

I love watching his stuff. He’s so modest and nonchalant about his videos/ he does testing like I like too- probable accuracy at expected range of fire, and what to expect at greater distances etc. he has great videos and they’re all what everyone is thinking... I like the “this caliber vs that caliber- is it just hype or really worth while to switch?” “How good is a Taurus judge really? Is it worth the money?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John A. likes this.
  11. John A.

His "How to spot a fake expert" video is funny and truthful at the same time. If you haven't seen it, look it up.