• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Shot Placement"

I am still up in the air what to use for home defense. I alternate between the 590A1 and my AR15. I practice regularly with both, but I wish I could settle on one. I put a Vickers padded two point on the shotgun, but am starting to wonder if it just gets in the way for home defense.

Both will get the job done.

My 590A1 has a quick detach soe single point sling. It's not attached unless I need to stand guard during bad times or when I'm in training seminars.

Sling will just get in the way for HD situations IMHO.

I don't have a sling on my 500. Nor on my 1911.

I have used slings on my 500 but it's been dependent on its primary role at the time.

I've actually settled on my Glock 19 for most HD situations. Well at least the initial contact (my layout allows me to get my family to one location and engage rather quickly being an upstairs apartment)

After taking an 8 hour no light course which included identification before shooting having a light in your support hand to initially identify is a little more comforting so you don't muzzle your family members by accident (coming home late, sneaking in).

The whole class was shooting with a light in your support hand. Really a good class.

To me, Slings and holsters not are not wanted for home defense.

Only for carrying.

I have various night lights, set up to leave me in the shadows, if I come out of the bedroom, but they light the other rooms of the house just enough.

I want to remain hidden, so much as possible, so no lights on the guns.

The NRA study posted above was for successful cases of self defense. The homeowner was successful in part because the perp was unmotivated or amateurish.
Get a perp who wants to kill, or wants to die, or is crazy with racial or religious hatred and he would have walked all over most of these homeowners.
Again, getting a shot or 2 in a perp and getting shot yourself before he passes out is not a good outcome.

You're forgetting the common predatory criminal has overwhelmingly ceased criminal activity upon being shot based on the link I provided.

Criminals choose their victims based on perceived weakness and little to no combat required to achieve their goal.

Unless you are targeted for a gang execution you're more likely to fire off a few rounds and have the assailants flee or give up.

It's extremely rare you're gonna have an extended fire fight in common encounters.

Definitely train for it. Cry in the dojo laugh on the battle field.

^^

We don't disagree that much.

The NRA study posted above was for successful cases of self defense. The homeowner was successful in part because the perp was unmotivated or amateurish.
Get a perp who wants to kill, or wants to die, or is crazy with racial or religious hatred and he would have walked all over most of these homeowners.
Again, getting a shot or 2 in a perp and getting shot yourself before he passes out is not a good outcome.

What we disagree on is the initial shooting zone. You say train for head shots. I say go for higher percentage hit zones first. I never stated 2 and stop. 2 minimum.

Again I don't get to choose time, place because I'm not out there looking to rob people.

I'm less likely to make precise shots:

in the dark, at 3am, just being woke up.
having my business stormed with armed men as I'm helping a customer
eating dinner with the family as someone is kicking down my door

et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Adrenal dump and the chaotic environment is going to be a sensory overload for most people to be calm enough to focus on the front sight to put one or a few to the dome. Again, add in movement, fear, confusion, dynamic speed of how the situation changes in mere seconds is something a lot of people disregard in their training.

My first 2 shots are going to be chest box. My next shots will be dependent on a variety of situations I'll never be able to train for.

So I've trained:

Standard response - 2 chest box

High response - 2 chest box, 2 head

Low response - 2 chest box, 2 pelvis

Timed, in the dark, one handed, slow, fast... what do you do when you run out of ammo and the perp is nose to nose with you and you don't have a chance to reload?... I train that too.

You're out in public and shooting starts... you're with your family... what do you do... I've had a training course in that too. communication, prior planning as a family unit, how to shield a loved one and shoot, cover/concealment, cover fire, emergency tourniquet. And that's assuming you're not the one who was shot first during the gunman's initial rage.

Admittedly, my focus has been competition most of this year. But I've also have some funds set aside for a few 8 hour defensive courses for 2017 to reinforce the 5 other 8 hour training courses I took in 2014-2015.

What training courses have you taken CQB handgun, Shotgun, carbine or all three? I have done a few handgun courses in Florida but would like to take a carbine or shotgun course next. I enjoy my time at our gun club but I realize the training isn't really too practical in a real life scenario.

Primarily handgun.

I had scheduled a carbine course but it was cancelled and my schedule only allowed me to supplement it for another handgun course.

The no light course was the most challenging.

Fighting for retention, firing from 3" from the target and shooting from your back was the most fun.

I'm looking to do carbine in 2017 and a shotgun course.

I'm looking for a carbine or tactical shotgun course in or near Florida for September or October. I don't know where you are located but it is brutally hot this summer in Florida. Were running about 4-5 degrees hotter this summer than normal. Heading to the outdoor range at 9:00 tomorrow, we will be soaked by 9:30. Oh well, need to get the weekly practice time in.

I get to a range a few times a year. I also have a friend with property I can shoot on occasionally. I know it is important, but unfortunately I don't get out as much as I would like. This thread really brings up points that I had not thought about, much less trained for. Keep the information and ideas coming. They are greatly appreciated.

I would go crazy if I could only shoot a few times per year, it's very relaxing for me. I try to get out for a couple hours each Saturday or Sunday. I mix it up with shooting the handguns, shotgun and rifles. Also do about 15 minutes of dry fire practice each day to work on my form, grip, stance, sight alignment and trigger press. Dry fire practice works wonders for your live fire time and it's free.

Since having property I can shoot on at leisure, I find I'm not jonesing to shoot as much. Instead, I shoot whenever I change anything or to pattern a load and choke combination and to make sure I'm still sharp. I don't shoot as often as I should and honestly, the arthritis has been so bad lately I don't feel like walking down the hill and back.

I too dry fire a lot and vouch that doing at least that little bit of practice helps yield better results when I do actually shoot.

I have slowed way down the last couple months .......I have a mountain of brass to reload and not looking forward to it either........don't get the therapy some get reloading. Unless I am loading match rounds I actually get no enjoyment from reloading. Once I find a good load for a particular firearm I just set up and hammer down. Just banging out bulk rounds wears on ya with a 1977 single stage lol

I am an ex-Paramedic, have kept up my required continuing education, and my license is current...I just don't do it for a job anymore. As I prepare to move next spring into a very rural area of South Dakota, I may volunteer for my (distant) neighbors... But back on topic. When I was on a truck in Houston and Dallas, we handled many GSW. Most were to COM actually. Usually 1 or maybe 2 rounds of rimfire or centerfire handgun. I would guestimate less than 30% were fatal at scene. Maybe some of those died later, and for certain probably 60 to 70% were rendered incapacitated on scene. All of that said, my handguns just buy me time to get to a long gun. Shoot COM. Shoot until incapacitated. There is no such thing as "knockdown". Stop the threat. Be aware of the need to shoot...move....reacquire...shoot again if necessary...

Back