• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun ammo vs. a cinder block wall

I ran across a down and dirty ammo test that I and a couple other officers did about four years ago, not long before I retired. We (the firearms training staff) were talking about active shooters and the hazards of barrier penetration inside a building. Specifically, we were discussing an active shooter scenario inside a school, and the penetration of our standard issue ammo versus the 8-inch cinder block interior walls found in most of the area schools.

One lieutenant we had asserted that buckshot and slugs were far too dangerous to use in a scenario like that. He amazingly predicted that buckshot would bounce from wall to wall, endangering innocents and officers alike. Then he took us out behind the range house and set an 8-inch cinder block on the remains of a tree stump and shot it with a 12-gauge rifled slug. It naturally cracked and came apart in a number of large pieces. I was astonished he'd say something like that, and pointed out to the LT that if you had mortared the same block into a wall, it wouldn't have broken apart. He insisted it wouldn't make any difference. So, after an exchange of very colorful language in the manner of old cops, I set out to do a test.

They were demolishing an old section of a local elementary school here that was built in the mid-1960's. The place had been stripped of everything and only had the shell of the building with walls built of 12-inch concrete blocks...and a few interior walls built of 8-inch concrete blocks...still standing. The interior walls did not have any insulation material in the hollow spaces of the blocks. Additionally, the blocks used in the construction of this building's walls were found to be porous, expanded-shale, or "cinder" blocks...as opposed to the heavier, older-style non-porous "cement" blocks.

8-inch concrete block walls are extremely common inside schools and other public buildings here locally and, naturally, have figured into the worries attendant to any hostage rescue, or "active shooter" scenario. I'm sure you've seen tests of ammunition against 12-inch concrete blocks before, perhaps even tested a few of them yourself, but we had no info on how our service ammo would act if it struck an 8-inch interior concrete block wall. Would it ricochet, sending lead and concrete fragments flying throughout a room...or over-penetrate, or cause spalling that would be a hazard to officers as well as innocents? We had lots of "opinions", as you might imagine, but no hard information.

Unable to pass it up, I took the opportunity to test our service ammo, with special interest in our 12-gauge buckshot and rifled slug loads.

Ammo used:

Federal 12-gauge (low recoil) "Tactical" rifled slug

Remington 12-gauge (low-recoil) 8-pellet 00-buckshot

Federal .40 S&W 165-grain "Tactical" jhp

Winchester 9mm 147-grain "Ranger-T" jhp

Weapons used:

Ithaca "LAPD Model" 12-gauge pump w/18.5-inch barrel

Glock M22 .40 caliber pistol

Ruger P89 9mm pistol

--------------------

Five (5) Federal rifled slugs were fired straight-on at an 8-inch block wall from a distance of 50 feet. Each rifled slug struck the weakest part of an individual block, i.e., that section of the 8-inch block that was not supported by the "web" within the block.

NONE of the Federal rifled slugs perforated the wall, nor did they cause impact fragments to fly on the near side, or spalling on the far side of the same wall. In fact, looking at the far side of the same wall, you'd have no idea that the other side of the wall had a two-inch hole from a one-ounce shotgun slug.

--------------------

Five (5) Federal rifled slugs were fired so as to intentionally ricochet off of one wall and strike another wall at the far end of the room, some 40 feet distant from the point of ricochet. The fired slugs impacted the first wall at a 20-degree angle, ricocheted down the length of that wall and struck the next 90-degree wall about 5-to-6 inches out from the wall that they'd ricocheted off. The slugs each smashed through the near side of the individual 8-inch blocks that they struck, but did not perforate the impact wall itself, nor cause fragments to fly on either side of the impact wall. The rifled slugs each caused a puff of gray dust when they struck and ricocheted off the first wall. The dust cloud raised would not have obscured further additional shots, if needed.

--------------------

The same type of test was repeated using Remington 8-pellet 00-buckshot loads. Five (5) 00-buckshot loads were fired straight-on at an 8-inch block wall from a distance of 50 feet. NONE of the 00-buckshot pellets "bounced back" at the (admittedly nervous) shooter, nor did their impact cause any concrete dust or fragments to fly. Most of the buckshot pellets buried themselves about a quarter-inch or so into the cinder blocks, while a few of the pellets dropped to the floor immediately below their POI, completely spent.

--------------------

Five (5) Remingtom 00-buckshot loads were intentionally ricocheted off one wall at 20 and 30-degree angles and into the next 90-degree wall about 40 feet distant from the point of ricochet. The buckshot pellets struck the impact wall about 8-to-10 inches out from the wall they'd ricocheted off. The 00-buck pellets struck the 90-degree impact wall, barely dimpled its surface and fell harmlessly to the floor immediately below its POI. The buckshot pellets did not ricochet off the second wall they struck, despite dire predictions that they would do so. Again, there was a dust cloud raised by the ricocheted pellets, but not as large as the one kicked up by the rifled slugs.

--------------------

Five (5) each of the Federal .40 S&W and Winchester 9mm loads were fired straight-on at an 8-inch block wall from a distance of 50 feet. NONE of the handgun bullets "bounced back" at the shooter or caused any fragments to fly. The handgun loads, regardless of caliber, buried themselves into the cinder block surface on impact about the length of the bullet's body with the base still visible in most instances.

--------------------

Five (5) each of the Federal .40 S&W and Winchester 9mm loads were intentionally ricocheted off one wall at a 20-degree angle and into the next 90-degree wall about 40 feet distant from the point of ricochet. The ricocheted bullets struck the impact wall about 6-to-7 inches out from the wall they'd ricocheted off. They'd lost so much impact velocity during the ricochet that each of them barely scuffed the block wall that they struck.

--------------------

Even an 8-inch concrete block wall appears to be pretty good cover, at least from the rounds we tested, and the predicted hazards from shooting in a cinder-block walled room, i.e., bouncing projectiles and flying concrete fragments, never occurred. While there are other angles of impact and ricochet that could possibly present different hazards for discharging a firearm in a room built of this sort of building material, a great deal was learned by this simple series of tests. It's always best to address and attempt to answer questions well before any need to implement deadly force in a high-risk scenario.

I came back a day later and tried the testing with full-power Federal 12-gauge Foster slugs, and they were no different than the low-recoil version. Only difference I saw was the full-power slugs' entrance hole on one side of the block was perhaps a quarter-inch or so larger in diameter than the low-recoil slugs. The impact cloud of dust was a bit larger, too. But they still didn't fully penetrate the 8-inch block wall.

Presumably if you were to pick one spot on an 8-inch block wall, and pound it repeatedly, it would eventually start spalling fragments off the far side and soon fully penetrate the wall. But in the moving, fluid dynamic of a rescue operation, we couldn't think of many instances where the rescuers' gunfire would hit the same exact spot on a wall over and over before the situation was terminated.

WOW! Snowman, you ROCK! It's great info for professionals to actually KNOW what to expect from their equipment/ammo in high risk situations. The write-up is top notch and professional. Nothing but appreciation for your commitment and service. Thanks. :D

Sincerely
Paul

P.S. You should take some additional time to publish these results for other LEO's if not already done so, so that they too can be aware of the true performance of their equipment in high risk situations. :ugeek:

I have, Paul. But I ran across it and thought the defensive shooters here would want to see it. We know that, even under the best of circumstances, it takes time to get a SWAT or SRT team on scene to do entries.

Columbine taught us that in active shooter scenarios you have to cobble together whoever is there and go stop the killing with whatever weapons are on hand. We'll need citizen defensive shooters in this country very soon, and I think you and I agree that some things are just too important to not share.

Achmed and Rashid will be bringing their travelling terror show to a neighborhood near you a lot sooner than any of us are gonna like. Turns out the media spin about that film being the reason for our Libyan ambassador being killed was all bullshit:

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/16/161228170 ... ident-says

Hey thanks for this post. I'm glad there are still folks in police depts that can think outside the box and say "hey, lets find out what REALLY happens"

And yes, I bought my shotgun last week, partially in response to the current mid east situation but also because sadly I foresee "social unrest" coming sooner here in the USA than Achmed and friends

I'm glad somebody else tried this. I was kinda wondering if you could just "shoot down" a cinder block building as easily as you can trash individual cinder blocks. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington.

I wonder if these would change the results up a little bit:

http://www.rioammo.com/law_enforcement/ ... _slug.html

Not exclusive to LE personnel. CTD has some periodically, as well as AbleAmmo and MidwayUSA. roughly $5 - $7 a box. They are said to have a Steel core and from photos it has a spike/conical shape to it.

Also, I would like to see what, or even personally test, Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" Slugs :D I bet those go through ;)

Thank for your information, Snowman!!

Itsricmo said:
I wonder if these would change the results up a little bit... They are said to have a Steel core and from photos it has a spike/conical shape to it.

Steel core might make a difference.

The older style steel core 7.62X39mm AK-47 ammo will penetrate an 8-inch wall pretty reliably...but...you need to get something close to a straight-on 90 degree impact for it to punch through on the first round. As I noted during the testing, we deliberately targeted the weakest part of the individual cinder blocks. If bullets start impacting cinder blocks at an angle, then the bullet has more cinder material to penetrate. Kind of like the sloped armor on modern tanks.

It would be interesting to test hardened small arms projectiles, like the steel-cored shotgun ammo, and the hard-alloy Brenneke's, but this test was limited to the issued police ammo.

Since a lot of you have .223 rifles in your arsenal, I thought I'd include this info from the same battery of tests we ran on the department issue shotgun and handgun ammo.

Same place, same drill. From a 16.5-inch Bushmaster:

Federal 55-grain fmj .223

Federal 55-grain jsp .223

Federal 62-grain "Tactical" .223

NONE penetrated the 8-inch concrete block wall in straight-on impacts from 50 feet. No fragments flying on the near side of the wall during the impacts...no spalling on the far side.

Above three .223 loads in the 20-degree ricochet test:

Small poof of gray concrete dust from the ricochet impact. The ricocheting .223 bullets, regardless of weight or type, skipped down the impact wall and struck the next 90-degree wall about 4-to-5 inches out from the wall off which they'd ricocheted. The ricocheted .223 bullets barely dimpled the 90-degree wall on impact. The 55-grain fmj and jsp .223 bullets shattered into fragments on the 90-degree wall. The 62-grain bonded "Tactical" .223 loads impacted with a slightly larger dimple and were found on the concrete floor below POI, about four feet out from the wall they'd struck.

Fired Federal 12-gauge full-power "Maximum" one-ounce rifled slugs in both the straight-on and 20-degree ricochet tests:

They penetrated and ricocheted no differently from the low-recoil one-ounce rifled slugs we tested before. The full-power 12-gauge "Maximum" slugs blow 2.25-inch entry holes into the 8-inch block wall, compared to the 2-inch entry holes created by the low-recoil one-ounce rifled slugs. Neither penetrated the 8-inch interior concrete block wall.

Okay...this last one was on my own hook. I noticed a few days after the above testing that two short, parallel interior walls were remaining at the school demo site after the work-crew had left for the day. It was too much to resist.

Ammo used:

.308 155-grain Hornady TAP jsp

.308 110-grain Hornady TAP jsp

.30-30 125-grain Federal Cartridge jhp

Weapons used:

Ishapore Enfield .308 w/25-inch barrel

Marlin M336 .30-30 w/20-inch barrel

All shots (three of each test bullet) were fired straight-on into the unsupported (i.e., weakest) section of different 8-inch cinder blocks in the wall nearest to me. The parallel 8-inch block wall behind the wall I targeted served as a backstop in case of over-penetration. No ricochet-shooting for these test-shots...nothing left on the site to ricochet ammo into. All shots were straight-on into the target wall from 50 feet away.

NONE of the .308 110-grain Hornady TAP loads, nor the .30-30 125-grain Federal Cartridge "varmint" loads penetrated the 8-inch cinder block wall. These loads blew shotgun slug-sized entry holes in the blocks they struck but failed to punch through-and-through in any of the tests shots. Based on this test and previously-conducted gelatin testing, both of these rifle loads would be excellent for LE/urban use.

The .308 155-grain Hornady TAP was the only load to perforate the target wall, guys...and I'm not entirely sure that much of the TAP bullets themselves penetrated completely through-and-through on any of the three test shots of that particular load. Each of them blew out a small exit hole on the far side of the blocks they struck, but did no damage to the parallel "backstop" wall some 20 feet beyond the target wall. Honestly, I can't tell if the "exit" holes from the 155-grain TAP loads were actually caused by bullet perforation, or by spalling due to enegry release. I'm not much of an engineer.

Three test shots isn't much to go on, but I suspect that if the 155-grain hornady TAP loads had struck the section of the blocks that was supported by the internal "web" of the block, or if they'd struck the blocks at, say...a 30-to-45-degree angle, they would not have made it though the 8-inch cinder block wall. This too would be a superb LE/urban load based on this test as well as prior gelatin testing. Impressive energy release on impact. Full-power rifle ammo in the .308/.30-06 class would probably get the best of an 8-inch cinder block wall in pretty short order. At least in straight-on impacts.

Also, I don't mean to infer that the above-listed .30-30 ammunition was department "issued". I've been packing a .30-30 lever gun around in my pick-up truck at home since the early 1970's, and I was curious about the 125-grain factory-loaded ammo I'd been using in it. Additionally, it'd be beneficial to remember that these tests were done in an attempt to minimize ricochet and excessive penetration in a hostage-rescue type of scenario. We need to keep in mind that there might well be situations where we want ammo with good hard-barrier penetration.

I'm sure there are other rifle, shotgun and handgun loads that need tested, but the above listed loads were the ones available here to our personnel and I wish we could have tested them even more extensively. The thing I'm recommending isn't that you use any one of the above tested loads, but rather that you scout around for a building under demolition and do some testing yourself. The knowledge (and for me, the relief) of better knowing what service ammunition might or might not do in this type of shooting scenario is well worth the trouble of setting up and coordinating an impromptu "lab" at a demolition site.

The last thing any of us need to be worrying about as we tighten up on the trigger is "What'll happen if...?"

Awesome Information! Thank You Snowman! Might I say, I need to move where you live, just shooting up old schools at your leisure :p haha

This particular school was in an outlying part of the metro area, and I had cleared it with the supervisors, and then called in to the comm center to tell them that if they got any shots-fired complaints it was me and my crew. I had the testing evolutions pre-plotted, so the amount of time that shots were being fired was minimized.

I had about 35 years on the job at the time, and had been teaching use-of-force and officer survival at the academy for many years. You probably couldn't have dispatched a cop to the scene who hadn't been in my classes. There were several cop cars sitting around outside while we were shooting inside the shell of that old building, and as far as I know, no one in the neighborhood even called in on us.

OH! I was unfamiliar with what you did for a job :) That always helps haha a metric s**t ton of squad cars sitting out front could have prompted a great news accident :p haha

Thank you again for the information! And your Service! :DD

Back