• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
They use a relatively low power LED light that produces a reticle at a singular point in the center of the HUD. With this type of sight you will need to make sure the dot is in the visual center of the display to maintain your zeroed POI. A holographic sight utilizes a more powerful laser that bounces around and is distorted to produce an often more complex and intense reticle that is projected everywhere in the HUD. Once a holographic sight is zeroed, no matter where the eye picks up the reticle on the HUD it is still aligned with the point of aim/impact...
I'm confused, I have a micro reflex that hits when the dot isn't in the middle of the glass and I have a tube style red dot that uses an LED projected and it hits as well....very well. :?:

oli700 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
They use a relatively low power LED light that produces a reticle at a singular point in the center of the HUD. With this type of sight you will need to make sure the dot is in the visual center of the display to maintain your zeroed POI. A holographic sight utilizes a more powerful laser that bounces around and is distorted to produce an often more complex and intense reticle that is projected everywhere in the HUD. Once a holographic sight is zeroed, no matter where the eye picks up the reticle on the HUD it is still aligned with the point of aim/impact...
I'm confused, I have a micro reflex that hits when the dot isn't in the middle of the glass and I have a tube style red dot that uses an LED projected and it hits as well....very well. :?:

Yeah.. +1 on what Oli said..

Could it be because of the widely used term "Parallax Free" even though it's not holographic?

Man we've spoke on this soo many times, yet I always hear stuff that contradicts what is known fact. Maybe its different depending on the quality of the non holographic reflex sight.

What are you running Oli?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I have a PA micro reflex green dot that I put on my shotgun for a while and I am currently using a Vortex Strike fire on an AR. Buddy of mine has a M# clone from PA and it works the same. Shooting through the barrier drill really confirms it because its meant to make you shoot in awkward positions and a couple spots it not really possible to get a good cheek weld at all.

My SightMark Mini Shot is a holographic reflex sight.

Some of the better reflex sights use holography in their reticles as well...

oli700 said:
I have a PA micro reflex green dot that I put on my shotgun for a while and I am currently using a Vortex Strike fire on an AR. Buddy of mine has a M# clone from PA and it works the same. Shooting through the barrier drill really confirms it because its meant to make you shoot in awkward positions and a couple spots it not really possible to get a good cheek weld at all.

Nice.. Great feed back.. & on a couple very popular units to boot. I wasnt too sure about the whole cheek weld scenario with the middle tier budget minded optics like the Strikefire.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
My SightMark Mini Shot is a holographic reflex sight.

Some of the better reflex sights use holography in their reticles as well...

I thought that only the EoTech's with two panes of glass (like the one you have) & only tube style optics were truly holographic & that only holographic ones had the capability to hit 100% of the time on target while obstructed or off the bore axis. For example, the EoTech if cover in debris on the HUD, will move reticle to an in obstructed area & still be zerod w/out worries of parallax either. Thus making it holographic technology.

Now, being under that impression I also thought that all other reflex styles (like the Sightmark) were classified as another technology (not holographic) & are susceptible parallax because of that. A Sightmark or FF having its retical obstructed means your just SOL because it has a different style of technology & reticle won't automatically move around the hud w/out you moving. Also, thought they would be parallax free up until a certain position on the HUD.

Kinda like technology A, Technology B, Pros of A, Cons of B.

Please correct me were I'm wrong w/out sending this thread in circles. I don't want to lead anyone to the wrong conclusion.:-?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Parallax only becomes an issue when dealing with aligning your FOV to your POA trough multiple lenses.

EOTech has one of the most sophisticated holographic reticles capable of producing a 1 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA ring, but they are not the only ones that use holography. The principle of holography is that the visual dot is produced on the lens by a series of light sources that combine to form a single image. A non-holographic reticle is produced by a single light source projected onto one point on the lens. Because holographic sights use multiple light sources projected from multiple angles to form an image on the lens, the image stays on your zero even when viewed by the shooter from various angles. A single light source projected directly onto one point in the visual center of a lens to form an image will stay on a singular plane regardless of from what angle it is viewed by the shooter.

That help?

Bought this UTG/Leapers SCP-RD40RGW-A 1X30 along with a UTG MNT-MB500T as a package deal for $42. Haven't shot through it yet though. Had issues with the vendor on ebay and had to send it back to UTG for repairs. I think the vendor resold it to me a called it "New".

Attachments

• Dot green downsized.jpg
    Dot green downsized.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Dot Red b downsized.jpg
    Dot Red b downsized.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 702
  • UTG Leapers red green dot sight b downsized.jpg
    UTG Leapers red green dot sight b downsized.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 701
More of the set up

Attachments

• Mounting nut inteferance b downsized.jpg
    Mounting nut inteferance b downsized.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 704
  • Mesa 8 shot holder b downsized.jpg
    Mesa 8 shot holder b downsized.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 703
  • Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 703
Morning Mossbergers

I have just got a 930 JM Pro. I've fitted a cheap reflex sight which has just disintegrated on me! Whilst it lasted it was just what I wanted. The use is target shotgun, 50yd paper punching.

My questions are,
1. do the expensive sights last and work on a slug gun, if so what makes work?,
2. do you prefer reflex or tube red dot?
3. 3moa dot for 50yd slug?

Over here we are a bit short on choice so any info would be much appreciated please. Thank you.

Thanks for a most useful site too!

JohnG
Cornwall

John,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I can't answer your questions, but will share this...

I have a 40mm UTG on my Mossberg 500. The UTG was inexpensive, and poor quality in my mind.

I will not be buying another one.

I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on a Ruger 22/45 pistol. While it's worked fine, I find it sometimes difficult to "find the dot". Part of that is because the sight is about 28 inches from my eye when in shooting position. (It's on a pistol, remember)

I also have a Bushnell TRS-32 on my Mossberg 930 SPX. I absolutely LOVE it. It's held up to "about" 1,000 rounds of mixed high brass rounds so far, (Buckshot and slugs) and has worked GREAT.

The Bushnell sights are not expensive, but high quality.

Duane

Bushnell Trophy 1 x 28, mounted with Weaver 30mm Tactical Rings.

Attachments

• 590a3.jpg
    590a3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 590a2.jpg
    590a2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 294
  • 590a1.jpg
    590a1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 293
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I use a Sightmark Mini Shot on my 590...

As for performance, this thing is a little beast!

What it lacks in size it more than makes up in results on target. Windage and elevation adjustments are made with a small screwdriver. Took me about five shots to get her dialed in and I was punching holes where I wanted em in no time. Here's one of my 50 yard targets using Centurion 2.75 inch, 1 1/8 oz slugs. Ten rounds went into this one...

Put 50 rounds down range today with no movement or vibration in the optic or mount. I highly recommend the Sightmark Mini Shot to anyone looking for a great, affordable reflex red dot.

I bought one for my 930 and killed the sight after 2 shots...it wouldn't come back on!

Put on my EOTech from my AR and it worked fine, here's from about 50 feet away from what I was shooting with slugs. Consequently, I've bought another for my 930!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwhOG8AMMk[/youtube]

johngarnett said:
Morning Mossbergers

I have just got a 930 JM Pro. I've fitted a cheap reflex sight which has just disintegrated on me! Whilst it lasted it was just what I wanted. The use is target shotgun, 50yd paper punching.

My questions are,
1. do the expensive sights last and work on a slug gun, if so what makes work?,
2. do you prefer reflex or tube red dot?
3. 3moa dot for 50yd slug?

Over here we are a bit short on choice so any info would be much appreciated please. Thank you.

Thanks for a most useful site too!

JohnG
Cornwall

I had a sightmark mini on my 930 for 2 shots then it fell apart on me...the red dot flickered then went out completely...

OldKraig said:
Well I wasn't sure if I actually wanted a reflex sight, and after today I'm still not sure that I do. Anyway, I picked this guy up off of Amazon for less than $40 shipped just to see if it would interest me. I didn't expect it to last any time at all, but I just got back from the range and after shooting 100+ rounds, she's still going. If anyone's interested in just trying out a reflex, I can recommend this one. AIM RT4-01.
522516_4395436687678_212923321_n.jpg

Wow, that's amazing, I bought a sighmark and it died after 2 shots.

Here's my 930 with an EOTech 512 mounted on the picatinny rail. This was a replacement for a sightmark that pooped out on me after 2 shots...I ran about 75 rounds thru it so far without a glitch.

9bc66b2e5c680664d7f52b89e24efd10

Keeps on tickin' like a Timex!

8020e2a199730c87d896feded3ca3153

love eotech's , cant stand the cheek weld needed to use it on a shotgun with the traditional comb....waaaayyyy too tall for me

Yeah, I like the aftermarket pistol grip AR style stocks when using an optic on my 500. They are much better.

5udetazy.jpg

gaze4ury.jpg

Holding up good after 100 or so rounds of 00 buck, slugs and some birdshot.
Feels like I'm cheating but its so quick on follow up shots for me.

Back