• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

Ugh... That sux. We have a couple ranges here that are nearly identical in restrictions.

I do nearly all my shooting at a friends place down the road. There are no restrictions there cept to not shoot the deer.

Yeah, sadly I yearn for but still do not have that buddy with the open property—who is okay with or into shooting. I play Powerball and land is pretty affordable around here. Tried to talk to my wife about investment land. The price goes up when you add her cabin, pond, electricity...

The new TRUGLO TG8360B reflex sight bit the dust on day 1 today at the range. There are many reviewers using this sight on shotguns and the occasional lemon low rating - sounds like I got one of those. The reflex optics glass released from its housing and chipped in two locations. I had zero at 50 feet and was going to 75' / 25 yds using 2 3/4 slugs then POOF. Too bad I had a variety of shot with me and was planning a post a follow up.

Now we'll see what Optics Planet is made of. I have a call in to the rep that I have now purchased 2 sights from and no call back yet. IMHO 1st use DOA items should be handled by the seller who can rep them back to the company. If they send me to TRUGLO... :twisted:

Hope to know more tomorrow.

Optics Planet has a 30 day refund policy and have offered to help me out in the long run if TRUGLO does not do the right thing. OP asked this because the unit had been mounted and used and technically was a warranty item. I got authorization from TRUGLO to send it back but they also want $12.50 for return shipping and handling. The customer service was really sub par - short and not sweet. With my shipping (del confirm and insured) and the money order I'm out $20 with on a unit that died on day 1 at the range. It's listed on their website as rated for shotguns, rifles, black powder etc. and 'heavy-duty' is one of the bullet point features of the sight.

Maybe the CSR was having a winter solstice-busy holiday type day. I really hope that is the case and that I have a replacement at my door ASAP. We'll see. *fingers crossed*

OP sold over 600 of this sight last year and only a handful came back. That is reflected in all the review that I have seen-hoping I just got a lemon.

1/27 - Truglo is sending a new unit, no hassle at all. :D

Well I got one of the Primary Arms MRDS green 5 moa dot for the Mossberg 930. Took it out Monday to zero it. First 2 shots were touching 2inchs low and dead center at 25 yrds. 3rd shot was low,4th shot way low and watched the dot jump to the top of the glass 5th shot jumped higher.
Prior to shooting checked all the locking screws all were snug.
Took it back to the rig and got in to my new range box my Lovely Fiance got me for Christmas, and started to adjust the dot. I bottomed out the down with no luck on getting the dot down.
Disappointed removed the sight and finished running the gun for another hour worked like a charm.
Got home and called Primary Arms the guys there were outstanding after telling them what happened one of the guys suggested the Mini red dot with fixed base and stated they would send it out Tuesday with a return label. They really stand behind what they sell. Which surprised the Heck out of me no questions asked and were really knowledgeable. So if anybody is considering a sight or scope check out Primary Arms and thanks Oli for recommending them.
I'll update when I get the sight in a couple of days.

tripawdgunner said:
Well I got one of the Primary Arms MRDS green 5 moa dot for the Mossberg 930. Took it out Monday to zero it. First 2 shots were touching 2inchs low and dead center at 25 yrds. 3rd shot was low,4th shot way low and watched the dot jump to the top of the glass 5th shot jumped higher.
Prior to shooting checked all the locking screws all were snug.
Took it back to the rig and got in to my new range box my Lovely Fiance got me for Christmas, and started to adjust the dot. I bottomed out the down with no luck on getting the dot down.
Disappointed removed the sight and finished running the gun for another hour worked like a charm.
Got home and called Primary Arms the guys there were outstanding after telling them what happened one of the guys suggested the Mini red dot with fixed base and stated they would send it out Tuesday with a return label. They really stand behind what they sell. Which surprised the Heck out of me no questions asked and were really knowledgeable. So if anybody is considering a sight or scope check out Primary Arms and thanks Oli for recommending them.
I'll update when I get the sight in a couple of days.
Aww man sorry to hear that. So the dot moved and you couldn’t adjust it back in? A couple of my friends have gotten these since I have had mine and one of them ended up with one that was intermittent. Marshal and the guys at Primary Arms made it right and fast. Sent a box to ship it back and a new sight, made it from Texas to Oregon in two days. Their customer service was great. Keep us updated

It did suck I really liked that sight was nice and compact, nice clear dot. Your right Oli the guys were great. I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow as I live in Washington. If it does it will be a gun working weekend, as I have to work on the Fiance's 10/22 I got her a Boyt stock and a Tactical Solutions barrel for Christmas, So barrel change and time to play with my 930 Wooo hoo.

TRUGLO TG8360B reflex sight replacement arrived in a timely fashion. I mounted it, let the Locktite set up for 24 and headed to the range (slow to report - new job for me). I put 50+ rounds through of various shells from bird on XXL choke to 3" buck on more open choke - shot great as before AND the TRUGLO sight stayed zero AND stayed in one piece. 50 rounds is a pretty good test but I'll go out again this weekend with some more big buck AND some 1 oz. slugs. This unit is getting the acid test. If it can't hold up I need to know sooner than later and I won't mount it a third time. There are other guns that I could use it on while I consider what is the best match for the 930 and as I'm thinking 3 gun I'd be removing it for that anyhow. We'll see. i'm happy for the time being and when the sight is on it is really on - i do like it a lot and it's accurate with a locking set screw for elevation as added support - just remember to loosen that before making adjustments!

Congrats brother!

I'm glad the replacement is working out for you so far. Keep us posted on the progress...

Shot 15 rounds of 1oz slugs and 15 rounds of 3" 00 buck today. The sight held up and held zero. I'm starting to believe that I had a lemon on the first time around - the sigh gets such rave reviews with that occasional 'quick death' that I experienced. I hope that I'm in for a good long run of fun accurate shooting. *fingers crossed*

ok so I got a red dot sight for my mossy 500. I got a Bushnell Trophy TRS25.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4005

It was on sale and with a rebate, so it comes at the end to like $70 bucks. I put it on the 500 and looks great. One thing I noticed is if I set the red dot to maximum brightness I get a red holografic ring aroun the red dot. It happens depending on how bright or dark is the room.If i bump it down to like number 7 I can bearly see this ring and the dot is still bright. The brighter the room the higher I can put the brightness but i can never have it max out because of this issue.

Is this normal for small red dots? I have a 30mm truglo and I never had this issue. I know a few own this red dot. Have you guys experience the same situation? I can always return it but I'm waiting to test it out and zero it in. Thanks.

Jayta, in the past I have heard only good things about the sight, and in fact yours is the only issue that comes to mind.

My Bushnell is a little different, but I havent had any alo effect with it.

Back