• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

Jayta I dig that Bushnell!

Sneaky! I gotta get somethin in the mail so we can see it mounted and you can do some shooting! :D

I use an Aimpoint Red Dot w/ 4 reticles and 7 brightness levels. Really good price at only $50 and it is surprisingly sturdy! Zeroing it on was not a problem at all and it took a pretty good beating last year when my sling stud ripped out of the stock and the gun plumeted to the ground... stupid cheap H&R synthetic stock btw. The objective lense did not break and the finish on the sight was minimally damaged.. 4/5 stars just because when you switch reticles you do have to re-zero the sight and the sights do not maintain zero once switched, thats the only kwirk

Itsricmo said:
I use an Aimpoint Red Dot w/ 4 reticles and 7 brightness levels. Really good price at only $50 and it is surprisingly sturdy! Zeroing it on was not a problem at all and it took a pretty good beating last year when my sling stud ripped out of the stock and the gun plumeted to the ground... stupid cheap H&R synthetic stock btw. The objective lense did not break and the finish on the sight was minimally damaged.. 4/5 stars just because when you switch reticles you do have to re-zero the sight and the sights do not maintain zero once switched, thats the only kwirk
I had a knockoff aimpoint T1 on my Benelli for a bit. Looked cool, I liked the idea of it.

It just didn't like the recoil. Shortly after starting a skeet shooting session, I lost zero, and the highest brightness setting.

8e2e830a-9d58-ac27.jpg

Mine is way different and thankfully it holds on through the recoil! Umm lemme find a model number..... negative on the model number. I have a nice sightmark as well, it does its job

Has anyone mounted this optic on a 3rd gen SPX? My understanding is that the 3rd gen has a higher front site. I had one of the Troops bring a 1st gen (that ran like a super star) to In-service training with this optic, and I recall it being maybe a lower third co-witness. I'm afraid the 3rd gen front site might be too high. The gun brought to In-service ran so well I wanted to have one for when I run shotgun classes (to show others) and the Wife gave me orders to get one on the way for her. She wants the same setup and was quite deadly with it I might add.

BenSamp said:
6364619253_e6f93ae711_z.jpg
6364619251_93bd94c739_z.jpg
6042508078_bd8dba89cd_z.jpg

Here are a few pics of my old RDS and the new Bushnell TRS-25
6373044913_6a8f209f59_z.jpg

I have Bushnell TRS25 on my mossberg 500. It has hold great and no issues at all. I want to change to a reflex type sight and use the TRS25 on my Keltec sub 2000. I'm really interested in the one from Primary Arms but they are out of stock. I don't want to spend alot of money but I don't want to invest more than $100. I looked at the sighmark but I get mixed reviews. If I can't find Primary Arms I might just get another TRS25 and be done with it.

Anyone have any hands on experience w/any of these MDRS's. Which ones have the LOWEST PROFILE after being mounted on a PICATINNY RAIL. That way I can achieve proper check weld with my oem Speed Feed & be able to view the red dot properly. I don't want to get a new stock just to be able to have a mdrs. I wanted GRS that are on the 590a1 Blackwater series but cant seem to find them, the front sight in particular & they dont make the barrel in an 18.5 setup. Even if Mossberg could make me something in an 18.5 w/that front sight I've heard too many bad stories about dealing with Mossberg's CS & QC so I'm going to go w/this route. It will probably be the quickest & less painful to the wallet.

I bought one of these really really cheap air-soft units just to see if its a setup I would like w/out blowing a hole in my wallet. Here is a pic of the style. It sits way too high to be able to get a check weld & view the rectical. I want to be sure & informed before I make a purchase on a real one.

Style I have & do not like.. Too high/tall to view rectical w/check weld.
200x200xsm13003b-dt_main-500x500,P20,P28web,P29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uwH-vtIAII.jpg

Style Im looking for but mounted on a picatinny.

DOCTER
img_1150822641_14967_1174663212_mod_363_147.jpg

BURRIS
images

Sightmark Mini - This guy looks the smallest.
SM14011_main_1000x1000.jpg

Primary Arms - heard good things about them, called but.. out of stock till who knows when.
PAMR-2T.jpg

This Trijcon has a little vally bevelled out which would possibly help veiwing the dot if profile was too high. But then agaiin probably out of my price range, I think... :(
images

So... Yeah any knowledgable input would be greatly appreciated :ugeek: :mrgreen:
THANKS YA'LL!!

Yeah, That SightMark does look small!!!

Heres the Insight I had mentioned, and on a 930 with a mount designed and made by AIMPRO!

MRDS-930-Mount-2web.gif

Ahh I see.. I believe the mounting design is another hurdle. Depending on who's you get & how it is manufactured is probably the determining factor on whether or not its low enough. Ya know what I mean.. The sight itself could be nice & "low pro" & then the mount could be thicker than J-Lo's junk in the trunk. But who knows.. I'm probably just overthinking this because they can cost good money & the cheap one I have now is unusable because of its rear profile design. The ones that are flat in the rear will probably be just fine. I really like that Docter though.. That mount on the handgun looks almost non-existant!

I spoke w/LES & he used his Sightmark Mini in conjunction w/his 930's OEM stock & he had no issues w/what Im stressing about.

Does the 930 & the 590 have the same profile as far as reciever to stock?

I think youre absolutely right in that any sight or optic of any kind, still has to be mounted and the mounting system can make a low profile optic unusable with some platforms... especially a shotgun.

I always liked the Bushnell I have, but not on my shotgun. It was difficult to use properly and made shooting with it seem like a chore.

As far as the profile similarities between the 590 and 930, I dont know for sure off the top of my head. I would think theyre very close. The surest way, and Im about to leave for work or I'd take a look real quick, is to get on OFM's site. Maybe open up tabs side by side. One for the 590 and the other for the 930. Get to the spec page for each and find the columns that show the DAC (drop at comb) and DAH (drop at heel) and also compare the LOP (length of pull) I cant guess what the difference in drop is at either point if there is a difference, but I bet theyre very close.

I've mounted the Mini Shot on both my 590 and my 930 using the same rail and I didn't notice any difference looking down the sight...

Heres what I found;

For this style stock, the standard 930 stock;
85360.jpg

TACTICAL 85360 12 3" CYL BORE 7+1 18.5" LPA M-16 FRONT SIGHTS
LPA GHOST RING REAR SIGHT 39" 14" (DAC) 1 1/4" (DAH) 2" MATTE BLACK SYNTHETIC 7 1/2 LBS $756.00

For the standard 500/590/590A1 and 835 I think too; (My LGS has one of these right now and I want it!!!)
50645.jpg

9 SHOT 50645 12 3" HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED 9 20" BEAD CYLINDER BORE 41" 14 1/2" (DAC) 1 1/2" (DAH) 2 1/8" BLUE SYNTHETIC (BLACK) 7 1/4 LBS $521.00

So the 590 is 1/4" lower at the comb and 1/8" lower at the heel. If anything, youre 1/4" farther on the 590 with the higher cheek weld goin to the 930.

I personally have zero experience with the 930, so I defer to LES' above statement! ;)

DAH, DAC man I'm always learning when you guys speak. Thats some good info buddy. Thanks for looking all that up for me.

Personally the only thing I've ever had to worry about is my BAC! woop woop woop! :lol:

So I went out & tested that cheap red dot. I had a hard time using it, missing targets @20yrds. It was all out of zero or its profile was just way to high to use correctly w/a stock weld. I'll explain in further detail in a later post because I could use some advice with this dang thing, but for now I have a quick question for now regarding a different red dot.

If I was considering the Docter MDRS there are 2 MOA's, which MOA should I be considering. 3.5 or 7?? Seems like a big difference in size..

Yeah, That is a big difference, especially if youre using slugs and you start lookin 50 yards down range.

My personal preference will always be for the smaller dot. 7MOA may well cover the entire vital area of a target, say deer for example, to the point you arent able to accurately determine your hold.

Gotta go to work!!! L8R!

The SPARK has worked out real well on the AR - great extra are the multiple options for mounting methods and height that come IN THE BOX. Was able to set up co-witness with BUIS with supplied hardware.

The TRUGLO TG8360B (unit #2 - free replacement for defective #1) continues to hang in there. The 2 color 4 recital choices are nice for different shooting environments. It's budget (MSRP $102 - street $75 - 85) but for shotgun range the target acquisition is quick and it is darn fun to shoot with!! :D

7242643620_d505d45fb9.jpg

6533303699_2d6fdfa6eb.jpg

Does anyone knows why Primary Arms is always out of stock with their micro reflex sight? I would love to get one of those but they are out of stock everytime I check. I was thinking a redot reflex sight but I really want a micro reflex type but i don't want to break the bank.

I saw one on ebay and i let it go. i'm regreting it. What about the sightmark mini one? any good feedback? the reviews I found online are mostly bad :(

Back