• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

The Bushnell TRS25 has been a great mini red dot but I moved it to my Keltec sub 2000 and I love it.
IMGP2594.jpg

I really needed a red dot on it. If it comes down to it I can buy another one but i will like to have a small reflex type one

Jayta98 said:
I saw one on ebay and i let it go. i'm regreting it. What about the sightmark mini one? any good feedback? the reviews I found online are mostly bad :(

Page one of this thread LES posting about it. He has had it on both his 590 & 930, no bad review from him. Ballpark of a Benji ain't a bad price either. I'm currently contiplating buying that same model or go the PITA route of getting GRS installed because the one I have isn't working out.

I currently have a red dot set up like mingaa's tru-glo w/ a bead up front.. I honestly dont know how he got that thing to work/zero while maintaining a cheek weld. I would assume his & mine have relatively the same size specs. Using slugs I was trying to zero mine in, I was in the woods & I didn't have much room for distance so I was just messing around @ about 20-30yards. I had to lift my head just about off the stock just to see the dot over the rear "hump" of the red dot. If I adjusted the dot up high enough to be able to see it w/a cheek weld over its "hump" my shots would be WAY LOW! Bring the dot down to get closer on target & my cheek would have to be completely off the stock & then you have to deal w/the whole "do I have my head in the exact same spot as my last shot so I'm not chasing this thing, cuz when you move your head the dot does as well?" I believe they call it ''parallax''. I'm pretty sure if the rear "hump" wasn't there (like on the sightmark mini) I wouldn't run into these issues. I don't have much experience w/the red dots so maybe it was just inexperience.

So.. ahh yeah... Maybe some one w/the same stlye setup could chime in & enlighten me just so I can get the hang of these things before I get anything else..

On the issue with the parallax, once its sighted in, whatever you put the dot over is what youre aiming at.

The issue of cheek weld is exactly what I've had problems with while usin a red dot with my 500. It just made slug shootin thoroughly unenjoyable. That was with a rather high profile Bushnell Trophy, like an ACOG look alike. I havent tried something lower profiled, but I'd like to one day... For me, it would be between the Sight Mark Mini or the Insight.

Rossignol said:
On the issue with the parallax, once its sighted in, whatever you put the dot over is what youre aiming at.

The issue of cheek weld is exactly what I've had problems with while usin a red dot with my 500. It just made slug shootin thoroughly unenjoyable. That was with a rather high profile Bushnell Trophy, like an ACOG look alike. I havent tried something lower profiled, but I'd like to one day... For me, it would be between the Sight Mark Mini or the Insight.

I' Im hoping Mingaa will chime in & tell me if he can get a legit cheek weld w/that higher profile setup he has & maybe throw some pointers @ me on how to sight it in. That way I can figure out how to sight this one in before I go & buy another one.

I really just want some danged GRS, but as we have spoken Rossi, it seems as though my pickings are slim & I'm a picky prick.. I dont like this, I dont like that, ohh I like that, DAMN its been redesigned, ohh that one is cool too I'll get @ Mossy to see who makes it "sir we cant give out that info" .. blah blah blah blah. UUGGHH!! (@Mossy #Useless). I'm Irish so maybe I'll get lucky & finally choose a Red Dot or GRS once I get irritated enough but i swear that damn luck thing was left out of my DNA. Here's an example of my luck, I just get done fixing my mower today & what does it do.... &%^!*&% thing decides to catch on fire, like inferno style!! :roll: I should of let it burn but I dont have 8K to replace it so I dumped my Starbucks on it to put it out, which made me even madder :evil:

Jayta98 said:
I might get sight mark mini and give it a try. Thanks.
What kind of stock are you running? You should get it either way & let me know how it works out for ya!! :D :D

jimmycrackcorn said:
Rossignol said:

I' Im hoping Mingaa will chime in & tell me if he can get a legit cheek weld w/that higher profile setup he has & maybe throw some pointers @ me on how to sight it in. That way I can figure out how to sight this one in before I go & buy another one.

I really just want some danged GRS, but as we have spoken Rossi, it seems as though my pickings are slim & I'm a picky prick.. I dont like this, I dont like that, ohh I like that, DAMN its been redesigned, ohh that one is cool too I'll get @ Mossy to see who makes it "sir we cant give out that info" .. blah blah blah blah. UUGGHH!! (@Mossy #Useless). I'm Irish so maybe I'll get lucky & finally choose a Red Dot or GRS once I get irritated enough but i swear that damn luck thing was left out of my DNA. Here's an example of my luck, I just get done fixing my mower today & what does it do.... &%^!*&% thing decides to catch on fire, like inferno style!! :roll: I should of let it burn but I dont have 8K to replace it so I dumped my Starbucks on it to put it out, which made me even madder :evil:

Jayta98 said:
I might get sight mark mini and give it a try. Thanks.
What kind of stock are you running? You should get it either way & let me know how it works out for ya!! :D :D

ATI Talon with limbsaver pad.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Hey LES do you still have the sightmark on your shotgun? How is it holding up? I know you gave it a great review but everyone else in different sites are giving it a bad review. all the way down to one star.

jimmycrackcorn said:
Where are the bad reviews? I'm curious cuz Im contiplating buying this unit & like to read them. I've spent about 20 minutes looking for bad ones & I cant find them.

I read here http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... 13001.html

& here http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... L4BEPMCMAQ

I only saw 1 or 2 bad ones out of say 30. I aint calling you out or anything, just wanna find them.
This is interesting. I agree with you I only found 4 bad ones from amazon... Where in the hell I was looking lol? The only thing i see is that most of the reviews they have used it in 22's. I might just have to get one and try it. Thanks for the link on amazon is cheaper.

Have two of them now.

The one on my 590 has held up like a champ through hundreds of rounds. If I end up needing another MRDS, I'll buy a third one for sure...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Have two of them now.

The one on my 590 has held up like a champ through hundreds of rounds. If I end up needing another MRDS, I'll buy a third one for sure...
Thanks LES. I will get one then. Can you use the burris reflex sight protector base with the sightmark?

Jayta98 said:
Thanks LES. I will get one then. Can you use the burris reflex sight protector base with the sightmark?

Not sure on that one. You'd have to compare the specs to the Burris...

Jayta98 said:
Jayta98 said:
I'm wondering if this one is the model with the sensor and that why is so cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Mini-Sh ... ewpoints=1

I read that they have replaced that sensor with a 2 brightness position switch in the newer units.
well this is weird. If you click on the link of the sight from the checkout cart of amazon it shows a whole different item. ???

Yeah, id be cautouis as to what your getting off amazon for half the price.. Might not be what the picture is representing.

Back