• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

Hi Jimmy,
I have a 500 with two barrels.I use Eotech with the 24" rifled barrel and a TRS-25 with the 18.5"cylinder barrel.I´d like to use Eotech for both but the point of impact is diferent (I use different ammo in each barrel).
I think that is a good red-dot for the price.Before buying, I found a lot of good rewievs on it.The only little problem that I found is that depending on sun position sometimes there is some soft red reflections,but nothing to worry about.I have it installed in a UTG quick mount in order to remove it quicker if neccesary.It elevates 0.5" the red dot axis.To correct eye alingment I have one Accu Riser 6000 cheek riser.

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail....1=&level2=&itemno=MNT-RS05S3&status=&mtrack=m

I have been looking that little piece inside (illuminator) ,and it is different from your picture.I can see that mine have a better finish (flat) different from your pictures.
I will try to make a picture (macro) to show it.
About your links ,I like the first.I also have the same bead sight as you.If you have the UTG picatinny rail,you can not use the bead :roll: .I have on mind a little project to install flip-up sights in my 18.5 "barrel with the TRS-25 red dot.Yesterday I installed a picatinny barrel mount with the same height as the UTG in receiver.

Oh yeah dude! That is way better craftsmanship! Your right it is a lovely little unit, i wasnt happy to see it go back! Would of done an exchange but i wasn't confident the replacement would be a different quality seeing as Amazon most likely buy's these in Bulk Lots off of the Manufacturer.

After the Bushnell, i upped the price point & picked up a Bushnell First Strike, I also like that unit. Open design, low profile... Just what i need. I turned the thing on, went outside & it seemed legit... I thought to myself GREAT... The wild goose chase for a red dot is DONE!! That was until night fall... I decided to see how it would perform inside in the dark. YUP.. That was a definite NO-GO! The auto sensor was wack & wouldn't present a dot while in a dark room. Some might say it was my eyes & adjusting to night conditions but that's a moot point. If i cant see it i cant see it.

At this point i probably sound like a test pilot or a picky bitch... Reality is.. Im just getting what i pay for. I contemplated going to a Burris FF, but have heard a few things regarding the same night time issues so I said @#$% it! I by passed the mid range price points & ordered a Trijicon RMR. I guess we will see what a $500 price tag will get me. Who knows maybe the marriage of my Mossy & red dot just weren't meant to be but i hope to avoid litigation...LOL. Ill post some pics up in a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I hope to see your rewiev and thoughs about the Trijicon RMR.
I also have a red dot (Hako Panorama MK-IV) that has an automatic sensor for light.If you put the protective case,the red dot go to sleep mode.Also,if there is no light (totally darkness) there is no red dot.I have used it for hunting with no problem.
About the Burris Fastfire III:
The FastFire III offers upgraded features such as windage and elevation adjustments that don’t require a special tool; a convenient power button with three levels of brightness and an automatic brightness setting and battery access on the top of the sight making it easier to change batteries. We’ve also added a low battery warning indicator and see-through protective cap. 8 hour automatic shut off.
I see a good idea to include a protective cap,specially for rainny days.Last sunday we made our last wild boar driven hunt with about 30 hunters involved.We were almost 2 hours under a very hard rain and cold.Any problem with the Eotech.I have installed flip up style protective caps on it.
Very useful also the Hogue forend made of rubberized material in rainny days.
I must install a GG&G one point sling on my 500 with 24"rifled barrel.Believe me,two hours holding a gun with a total weight about 8.5 pounds in "ready position"most of time can left your arms very tired.We hunted 3 boars on that hunt;one of them a male with good tusks was hunted with a semiauto shotgun.

selous said:
The FastFire III offers upgraded features such as windage and elevation adjustments that don’t require a special tool; a convenient power button with three levels of brightness and an automatic brightness setting and battery access on the top of the sight making it easier to change batteries. We’ve also added a low battery warning indicator and see-through protective cap. 8 hour automatic shut off.

I wasn't aware that the Burris Fast Fire had adjustable levels, I thought it was all automatic..?

''We've also added a low battery warning''
Do you work for Burris or is that a typo?

6364619251_93bd94c739_z.jpg
jimmycrackcorn said:
Any Y'all run into this with your TRS-25 Trophy Dot

Just received this little sucker after returning a ''Sightmark Mini Shot Pro'' due to missing contents & looking to get a lower sighting plane. Read some really positive things about it but received this one & there is a mound of what looks like solder/flux inside the tunnel/tube. I Specifically got this unit specifically because, believe it or not, it has a lower sighting plane than the Mini Shot. Yes it looks bigger but the mount is concaved & the tube sits in lower allowing for a better check weld with the OEM stock on my 18bbl 590A1 running a self modified speed feed..

I really love the little guy but.... that solder mound mentioned before looks as if it could possibly interfere with the FOV given the right circumstances. As in it could block out part of a target at longer ranges or the dot will disappear behind it.

Id like to hear some feedback from people who have SHOT with it or people who have seen this oversized mound of solder in person. After all is is produced in China so my instincts tell me to exchange it but.....

1. I don't want to return it if this is just how they are & I am going to end up with the same exact circumstances. Plus the possibility of having the exchange unit having other known defects.
2. I've already returned the Sightmark so I'll be out an optic a for a bit. (I know.. cry me a river)
3. I don't like the post office lady!

Here are a few pics
pyvuqyja.jpg
e2e3e4ed.jpg
6e5e3aze.jpg
utazehu2.jpg
y2y4agyg.jpg
etazuvyr.jpg
a2yzazyt.jpg
5e4aha9e.jpg
e2a4e2er.jpg
ade8aheg.jpg

Jimmy this is what mine looks like on my 930, here is a link for aimpoint http://www.aimpoint.com

jimmycrackcorn said:
selous said:

I wasn't aware that the Burris Fast Fire had adjustable levels, I thought it was all automatic..?

''We've also added a low battery warning''
Do you work for Burris or is that a typo?

Jimmy,I made a copy and paste from Burris website.At this moment I don´t have any sight from Burris but I like the last Fastfire III with the protective cap.I live in an area when the rain is present a great part of the hunting season and this "gadget"help to have a better vision of target when raining.

jimmycrackcorn said:
BenSamp said:
]

Jimmy this is what mine looks like on my 930, here is a link for aimpoint http://www.aimpoint.com

If you have an aim point, its gotta be cleaner than that Bushnell I posted the pics about... No? Oh wait.. Are you talking about your Bushnell? Im confused.

Sorry to confuse, the link was for the aimpoint, The pic that I posted was of the Bushnell TRS-25 to illustrate the the area in question.

BenSamp said:
jimmycrackcorn said:
BenSamp said:
]

If you have an aim point, its gotta be cleaner than that Bushnell I posted the pics about... No? Oh wait.. Are you talking about your Bushnell? Im confused.

Sorry to confuse, the link was for the aimpoint, The pic that I posted was of the Bushnell TRS-25 to illustrate the the area in question.

No prob dude! I gotchya!

Hey.. Would anyone mind if i took down a few of those Bushnell pics? Tapatalk app only allows so many hosted on they're server. I want some allowance to be able to post the Trijicon RMR.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Your posts, your call...
Word.. I leave a few up for reference to make my posts relevant, that way I don't sound like a bumbling idiot like Mayor Mumbles Menino talking off script. LOL =P

So here is that Trijicon RM08A I picked up last week. It has an Amber 12.9 MOA Triangle. The unit is Very,Very,Very well built. None of that cheap metal you find in the low-end to mid grade breeds of MDRS. This thing is a square block with a concave extremely tuff metal, yet its really light at the same time. It looks as if its milled out of a single block, no seams nor screws holding it together, no wings needed to make it fly or protect it. Straight up tuff. The Mount which is a RM33 is of the same characteristics.

mutybuba.jpg

5y7ere6u.jpg

ytetu7ys.jpg

For those that don't know, there are three models of the RMR. Like mentioned before, this one is the Dual Illumination model... It uses fiber optics during the day & tritium power @ night, has no adjustments for brightness & does not use batteries. Its all automatic on the brightness. The two other offerings with different MOA dot options for each are, a Non adjustable LED model & then a even more expensive Adjustable LED model. Both of those use batteries.

Outside during the day, the Fiber Optics dont hesitate to give you a nice bright reticle even when its highnoon & you need your gucci stunna shades. Its produces a nice, clean & defined reticle. Definatley a few teirs above the others I've bought. No star bursting, not 20 little dots in a fish shape or half moon. It just does what its suppose to do.

For those that have glass preferences, it does have a slight blue tint to it but not obstructive to my eyes at least. I can almost grantee it is a higher quality glass than the lower cost red dots so worrying about breaking it from dropping or SG recoil wasn't even a concern. Not to mention the way its designed with its convex window housing. That design will take the impact & send it down the sides of the housing rather than down onto the glass.

mene3ysu.jpg

9ybypu5u.jpg

Although im not jumping into my frozen lake right now playing Super hero Scuba Steve, the water proofing seems to be on point where as i mentioned before there are no seams on the unit & any opening is water tight with rubber gromets & possibly some sort of glue/epoxy/sealant.

The adjustments are something to be desired, no silly hex heads no adapter wheels, no retarded locks to manipulate or malfunction. Just nice, audible, tactile clicks out of the screws & there are markings for each 1 MOA as far as I know.

sy5a5e8y.jpg

e8ehe3y8.jpg

Now, on the other hand, when it comes to night... Users that are looking to run one of these on a HD setup with a light. I would have to steer you towards a more expensive led version w/batts. Yup.. sorry... its a sexy little bitch that will take a beating but this dual illumination washes out when used in conjunction with a weapon light. It also washes out in different indoor situations. Pointing from low light to well light area. In that retrospect it only worked a little better than the Bushnell First Strike Reflex that didn't work at all @ night.

Yes.. that factor was very disappointing to find out considering the price tag.. I really thought $550 would get me something that would clear that hurdle. Seeing as the RM08A is cheaper than the other two RMR's, I guess I went cheap while going expensive...LOL. I bought the Benzo with the 16'' hubcaps I guess. (No they don't spin either :p)

To leave on a positive note... As far as an outdoor sight, I would definitely recommend it, I didn't get it to wash out on a sunny day on top of snow & as i mentioned before it was a very well defined reticle. I've also seen videos of ppl hammering in nails with this sight! Try that with a J-point, Docter or Burris.. I will most likley be picking up the Battery Powered RM02. I've read that these function better with a weapon light at night by 10 fold.

Here is one more pic & it of the the triangle. Cant really make it out but trust me, the thing is much larger than it seems. I took about 30 dang pics & i could not get the camera to pick it up for the life of me! I was also indoors so it wasn't as projecting as it would if you were outdoors. It was late, the camera batt died trying to pick up the dot & then it go put in the mail the next day so that's it for shots, Sorry.

2ehy2ugu.jpg

Really odd how the camera is resizing the triangle.

usyqu5uz.jpg

Sent from my WX435 using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy,

Thanks for the detailed review. I am a little bummed about the Night options. I was looking into one of these, as I hate to rely on batteries. How bad is the wash out at night? Can you still see anything? I am guessing a little wash out is better than a dead battery? Do you think the green might show better than the orange?

I think you and I come from the same back round (stunna glasses, scuba steve, etc..) I was laughing my ass off. Hope others get what you are referencing.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
Jimmy,

Thanks for the detailed review. I am a little bummed about the Night options. I was looking into one of these, as I hate to rely on batteries. How bad is the wash out at night? Can you still see anything? I am guessing a little wash out is better than a dead battery? Do you think the green might show better than the orange?

I think you and I come from the same back round (stunna glasses, scuba steve, etc..) I was laughing my ass off. Hope others get what you are referencing.

Frank

Yeah.. About that green one.. I had one lined up because i had a feeling about the amber, but after seeing the poor performance indoors with a weapon light, i decided against it. I didn't think it would make a diff. I couldn't see the reticle AT ALL when using the weapon light & as you can see, the camera had a hard time too picking it up too while indoors even though it was way bigger than it looked in the pic & that was with out a weapon light mind you.

I came across a thread elsewhere with ppl saying they switched from the dual illuminated one to the LED one & the indoor washout difference was night & day. Like I said It works great outdoors for me, just sucked inside with a weapon light.

As far as batteries go... I think ppl worry too much about the SHTF scenarios & batteries.. Just don't be retarded about it & change them out once a year & you'll be fine.. they ain't expensive.. buy 10 & you won't have to worry for 10yrs. Do it on your birthday. You'll remember because that's usually the time of year when ppl get they're panties all wet dreaming about someone buying them a weapon related item so the topic will be fresh on your mind. Plus.. if the concern is that great, you wont forget. The tritium also does have a half life & when it runs out you have to send it back in.. Who's to say they will even be in businesses then, never mind if it starts crapping out when u need it because you've lost track of the tritium's half life & when you bought it, at that point you cant just pop a new batt in.

The only time I've had battery operated items fail on me is when they are cheap products, these little bugga ain't cheap.. I'll stand by what i said in my earlier post. IMHO, Its good for outdoors but if your going to need it for HD with a weapon light, shell out the extra $$, buy the LED version & buy the extra batteries instead of having to compromise functionality in exchange for being forgetful.

In reference to " hope ppl get what your referencing''..

Haha... Me tooo! Most probably don't... Its cool though.. just how I roll.

Hope all that clarifies any question bout the rmr.
Later

Sent from my WX435 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

If money were no object, I would do what I normaly do. Buy Both. But this one is going to be one or the other. From your reveiw and suggestions, I am leaning more towards the battery now.

Frank

I got the Alum C-More Railway with a GGG QD on one of my 930's and a Burris FastFire 2 on my other 930. I like them both with the exception of the heavy weight of the C-More. I like the 6 MOA dot (you have a choice when ordering) on the C-More vs the 4 MOA dot on the Burris. But I gotta say $199 for a red dot that will hold up on a shotgun (1000 G forces) is hard to beat. I also put the Burris FF 2 on my Baretta PX4 45 SD and I love that I can put the bullet right on target at 25 yds.

Back