• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun shell pricing

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I made the mistake of stopping at Gander Mountain today.

I looked at a box of Federal High Velocity 20g 2.75" #6 almost dropped the box when I saw the price of $22.

For one freaking box of field loads!!!!

I will also note they want $54 for a bag of lead shot.

I know GM tends to price a little high but damn!

Seriously? The pricing of all gun firearm related items is just ridiculous.

A Gander Mountain opened up a few miles from the house and their prices are absafreakinlootly ridiculous. Ammo prices are insane, but their prices on used guns are a joke. Saw a bone stock, WELL used 500 Persuader on their rack for $349. Suggested retail brand new is like $309! I stop in every once in a while just to kill some time and the only people I see actually buying stuff are yuppies that look like they probably have someone else shoot their guns for them.

The Academy down the road loves Gander Mountain for driving all the business their way...

GM was having a Red Tag sale on some long guns. Their sale prices were on par with the std retail prices I've seen elsewhere.

I should know better than to stop there by now but they do on occasion have things on clearance for decent prices. This particular store has really downsized. There was almost no camping gear and it looks like they have walled of a small potion of the store.

The only other sports store close enough to hit at lunch is Dicks and their prices are just as bad with a fraction of the selection.

A Gander Mountain opened up a few miles from the house and their prices are absafreakinlootly ridiculous. Ammo prices are insane, but their prices on used guns are a joke. Saw a bone stock, WELL used 500 Persuader on their rack for $349. Suggested retail brand new is like $309! I stop in every once in a while just to kill some time and the only people I see actually buying stuff are yuppies that look like they probably have someone else shoot their guns for them.

The Academy down the road loves Gander Mountain for driving all the business their way...

+1 on both of these^^^^ Haven't been in the brand spanking new Academy yet but i NEVER make a point to go in the GM anymore... This is in Lake Mary, FL. Of note is GM gets $25/hr to use their indoor range! :eek:

Sheeeesh.

Recob's Target Shop online has shot for $40 per bag but until recently it was hovering around $50. Shipping on top of that of course makes it about $48.00/25# bag. I have shot that I bought for $16.99~$19.99 per bag!

And the high brass Federal #6 is pretty damn high. I know bird shot/target loads are a little cheaper still but that box of hunting shells shouldn't cost more than about $8.95 in todays market.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...-4-1-oz-6-shot-box-of-25?cm_vc=ProductFinding

There used to be a gander mountain in Dayton, there's a field and stream not too far away and some hipster outdoor recreational outfitter in one of the trendy suburbs. Prices in these places are nuts but the people who shop these stores wouldn't know the difference or they don't care.

No experience with Gander Mountain, but in the city near me, there is an Academy Sports that opened last fall, right across the street from Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's has a rather small firearms section in the far back corner of the store, but Academy has a section that is easily 3 times the size. And their prices are better also.

Most of my recent buying has been online at MidwayUSA and Sportsmans Guide...which periodically have good sales.

Dicks's Sporting Goods has a big area dedicated to hunting and fishing...and I can still get .22 ammo on occasion, as well as bulk shotshells when required.

Now...OO Buck...MidwayUSA has 250 round cases for $79.99...and you know I've been stocking up on that deal for months now... !! :D

It's getting goofy. I was reading some ten year old posts on another site. They were complaining about the price of 5 shot Golden Pheasants in 16ga. They couldn't believe that the store wanted $5.00 per box. Now, ten years later, the best price I found was $17.95. I ordered 4 boxes, I probably should have gotten more. It's ridiculous. No one will convince me that there isn't some government manipulation going on.

prices going up makes sense. seen the prices of food lately ? everything has gone up so why not ammo ?

Speaking of stupid prices, there is a local pawn shop near me that is going out of business. They've been in the same place for at least 25-30 years that I know of.

Anyway, they hired a man about a year ago to take care of and manage the store because the owners are getting up in years and have a daughter which requires their care, but after they hired the guy running the place, is probably why they're going out of business.

They had a big poster sign out front on the sidewalk that said "going out of business everything 50% off", so I go in and see what they have.

When I look at the prices, some of them were astronomical, while others seemed reasonable.

I spotted a USED Mossberg 500 that didn't look in too bad of shape that I eyeball from over the counter.

Price tag hanging on the trigger guard said $229 (which is more than I can buy a brand new one for). But I figure, with the 50% off going out of business sale they have going on would be worth $115 so I wait in line to tell the guy I want the gun and he comes over and picks it up and looks at the tag and says he can let me have it for $150.

I stop and give him the expected "you're an idiot look" and I told him half of $229 is much closer to $115 than $150, to which he says he can't let it go for that. I turn and point to the sign through the window and read it to him and he said flat out that wasn't for the guns in the rack, just the ones they had sitting over in that corner.

Needless to say, I don't think he put it where I told him to, but I didn't take it home with me either.

mbshop, agreed, but I haven't noticed any grocery items that have increased 350% in the last ten years.

In the last week I ordered some Winchester XR (heavier than Lead) I couldn't find on shelves locally. It's listed at $11 a box which isn't bad until you read the description and realize that's for 5 rounds. I bought two boxes. Including shipping it came out to $30 for 10 rounds.

It's expensive but it actually worked as advertised.

I just looked up the price for hevi-shot in 16ga on the Cabelas website. $43.99 for a box of ten rounds. That could make for a pretty pricey hunting trip.

I bought a box of Rio #7½ shot at my LGS for $11.95 plus tax. Found the same thing online at Academy for $8.99. Got 3 boxes to qualify for free shipping.

Cant believe how much you guys pay for ammo! I think i get alright prices over here

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Cant believe how much you guys pay for ammo! I think i get alright prices over here

Which ones particularly? I know a couple of the more recent loads mentioned are specialty stuff and heavier than lead. The stuff works great if you can get it to pattern. It extends the lethal range of the shotgun. The one I mentioned I ended up ordering a few more boxes because I like it so much. The heavier than lead allows using a smaller shot that retains lethal velocity of larger pellets but it also puts more pellets on target.

But with more traditional shot like unplated lead target or game loads, I don't like paying more than say 7 to $8 a box of $25.

Ultimately, not all loads are created equal. Some things are gimmicky and some things really work and improve performance.

I'm currently paying

£33 / $49.14 for 250 28g 7 1/2 clay loads so $4.90 a box of 25

around £50/$74 for 250 34g 5s $7.40 a box of 25

£9 /$13.40 for 25 00Buck

Back