• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun shell pricing

I know there is frequently no love for WalMart, but that is where I buy birdshot. Everyday price is $21 for 100 rounds, 12 or 20 gauge. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have found that Rogers and Macks PW have super prices on shotgun ammo. I am an advocate
of the Hevishot brand and I find great pricing at those vendors.

is this not the same company that sold under hevi duty ? did they cure the issue of the pellets turning to powder or small bits
when fired ? seems its all made ubder environ metal.

is this not the same company that sold under hevi duty ? did they cure the issue of the pellets turning to powder or small bits
when fired ? seems its all made ubder environ metal.

Additionally, the Dead Coyote is made under environmetal. I couldn't get decent patterns to 40 yards with open chokes down to tighter turkey chokes and even the Dead Coyote choke. I tried several kinds. It's supposed to be 70 yard lethal but if you can't get pellets out there...

Furthermore, since we're talking about pricing, at least mention what it's going for. The dead coyote stuff is about $50 for 10 rounds no matter where you go. Way over priced for a load I can't pattern.

@mallardmadness You mention your group. What is your group? Maybe you guys can help us out. I've been interested in and looking for more info on the Hevishot stuff. Can you or you group get some info, patterns, choke combinations or anything? You mention great pattern, out to what distance? What are you hunting and where a outs do you hunt? What guns are you using? We have a couple threads going for chokes/guns/ammo/patterns and lots of pics. This stuff could help quite a bit. We try to be fairly comprehensive in as much as we're able but if you've got a group of guys using the stuff you may be able to supply some info and fill in some blanks the rest of haven't had the opportunity to try and get yet.

Problem is the stuff is expensive and most guys aren't willing to put out the money for something without some evidence of its performance. I've tried, as well as a couple others, with some of it but its difficult to be thorough.

@wingseeker You also have experience with it, can you help fill in some blanks as well?

I'm interested in anything you guys have got on the Hevishot.

I'm interested too.

Only experience I have with Hevishot is from trying out some of the Hevy Duty #4 buck. With each shell, many of the 30 pellets disintegrated in the barrel and put over a hundred tiny punctures in an average 18" spread on targets at 10 yards. Here's part of the write-up I posted in another thread...

The Hevi-Shot HEVI-Duty #4 buck put up an 18.5" pattern with the wad punching through at the lower right bicep...

The surprise here was that the 30 pellets turned into 173 individual projectiles that punctured the target at 10 yards. Apparently these frangible pellets begin to fragment inside the barrel. There were several pellets that made it through the target in tact, so I would venture a guess that the pellets closest to the powder are crushed between the wad and the forward pellets upon ignition. Here is a negative of the image that better shows the punctures from the smaller fragments...

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckshot-pattern-test.9802/

I got tighter patterns out of Winchester #8 target shot from the same distance. Wasn't impressed to say the least, especially since it's marketed as "duty" or defensive ammo. Haven't bought anything else from the brand...

Only time I go to Gander is when other stores are out of what I need. I pick up some bulk Winchester AA target loads there every once in a while. But try to shop at other stores if I can.

Rossignol, I also prefer the HS shotgun shells. I use them for waterfowl, turkeys, and some upland game.
In the waterfowl world, I cannot imagine a better all around shell than the HeviMetal (price and how effective
it is). I will see about getting you some patterns after duck season.

Back