1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Shotgun tool?

Discussion in 'Maverick 88 Pump Action' started by Jorge Lopez, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM.

1. Jorge Lopez

Jorge Lopez Copper BB

When I was unpacking for a friend a model 88 combo (18.5" and 28" barrels with shotgun) a cross looking tool(?) of blued steel with one hole on one point of the star that was in a small plastic sealable bag. I looked at the manual but could not determine what it is for? Pardon the question but I have an 88 with 18.5", 28", and a 24" scoped rifled slug barrel and have not seen this before. Any ideas?
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. Pawpaw

Pawpaw .30-06 Supporter

3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Can you provide a photo? That could help.
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. Jorge Lopez

Jorge Lopez Copper BB

Yeap that is it! I didn't realize the 28" barrel was capable of having choke tubes that can be changed. I have an old Winchester auto so equipped. I will tell my friend and check to see which one his barrel has and determine if he may want other choke tubes. Thanks!
    meanstreak likes this.
  5. Jorge Lopez

Jorge Lopez Copper BB

I just went back to check my 28" model 88 barrel and guess what, it too has a threaded choke tube! When I bought it for my son it did not come with the tool so I naturally thought it was a modified cylinder barrel. Live and learn. All that in a budget shotgun. You can't beat it with a stick!
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. Major Dad

Major Dad .22LR

Pretty nifty indeed, Jorge! Also, if you buy additional chokes you usually get a wrench with it. At least the Carlson chokes I've bought came with a wrench.
    meanstreak, nitesite and John A. like this.
  7. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

And by watching this thread I learned as well. Welcome to the forum Jorge.