• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun wraps/skins

Thanks rip.

I'm thankful that @ScottyB posted his up. It looks great and doesn't feel like the stock is wrapped in vinyl tape. Once heat is applied and the wrap adheres to the surface, it takes on the texture of the stock. I'll be ordering another skin in A-TACS LE for my 930 JM Pro in the near future...

I might have to look into this for one of mine. Not sure which one I'd like to wrap up yet....

By the feel of it I figure it'll last as long as I want it to on the 700.

It's on there pretty good. If it were on an AR or shotgun it might see a bit of abuse, but my bolt guns get handled with a bit more care.

I was wondering for my AR , bet it would be a hard application though, and it gets hauled around , shot thrown in the truck, scrubbed in the dirt all that on a regular basis and it never sees a case

The AR skin kit is sectioned off in pieces for application to the receiver.

The video on their site made it look easy. For $40 or so it might be worth a try...

not for me, I like it on your application but when I watched the video on the AR application I didn't like it and you know me, I can F up a steel pot with a rubber mallet .....probably melt it off in my truck on a hot day lol

Yeah, the heat issue is the only thing that I don't really trust.

A lot of their stock photos show the film applied to the barrels as well but I don't see how that wouldn't melt or at least bubble up during use...

Ok, guys, now that it's getting hot out and I've had my wrap on for a few months I think it's time for a follow up, without pictures (sorry).
The way I was forced to apply the wrap around the unusual contours of the 930 made it not only difficult to apply, but not very durable. One spot in particular is where it wraps up around the outside lip of the foregrip. When dis/ass'ing the shotgun you have no choice but for the vinyl to rub in this spot causing it to want to peel away, that coupled with 85+ degree weather and the head from firing = vinyl peeling. Although it is easy enough to just push it back on, it doesn't lose its adhesive...ness, it is annoying. I'm not at all knocking GunSkinz product, I think it was more so my fault. If I had another chance to do it again I would do a few things different.
1. Do it when it's hot outside so that the vinyl is soft and you won't need to use a hair dryer/heat gun. Allowing the pieces to heat up in the sun before applying would have been a huge help.
2. Use more materiel and sort of "over wrap" the areas so that the ends aren't rubbing against other things.
3. Doing it again after previous experience would have been a huge helper. Not that this can be changed if it's your first time doing it.

Overall, I'd say it's a very good product. Especially to use one something that either has no moving parts or doesn't need to be taken apart often in order to avoid the rubbing and peeling. I would definitely recommend this for a rifle stock. I would not recommend the AR one, although I haven't bought or tried it, based off of my experiences all of the sharp corners and heat will cause a lot of problems.

I plan to do another follow up review whenever I get out water fowling this fall to review its durability in the cold wetness.

Thanks,
Scott

well, less than a year later the wrap started to tear off so I removed it. It's not the product's fault, I just didn't do a very good job of putting it on. I liked the way it looked camouflaged, but I don't think I'll buy another kit because of the cost.

Back