• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotguns: non-Mossberg

It's my duty week and S seems to HTF every time I'm on duty!!!! Lol, its a Topper 88 12ga... barrel is cut down to 19"... it's no refined buty by any means... Since she'll be my throw-in-the-back-of-the-jeep gun, I'll probably just make sure there aren't any large rust spots and rattle can her a few times :D

Seems to be a match made in heaven to me brother!

Congrats on the pick-up and I'm lookin forward to pics of that beauty...

Image quality leaves a bit to be desired, but it's the best I could do at work :D

IMG_0626_zps23ac6d49.jpg

Alright, I'm admitting it... I'm a little girl!!!! Went to the woods for an impromptu shoot of this Topper 88. I put a box of 2 3/4" bird shot through her first... it kicked, but as long as I shouldered right I thought this ain't too bad. Lol, then I thought I'd cut right to the chase and run some 3" Magnum slugs through it....AAAAOOOWWW. I've never been bruised by a firearm, and I've put quite a few down range between the 500 and 590, but after those 5 shots of 3" slugs... I've got an oval blue bruise about the size of the stock :lol: :lol: :lol:

Needless to say, I'm throwing a limbsaver on her, she beat me to hell... I'm filing for a restraining order tomorrow!

AK, I ain't mad at ya! I have a Topper 20 gauge with the straight grip. It is no fun to shoot and it is a Modified choke.
Chris, I hope your wife is doing well. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife for a speedy recovery.
I am interested to see how the Hatsan is coming along.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Not judging, just laughing!

You're restraining order comment pushed me over the edge... :lol:

That comment me me laugh a bit as well. There's a reason people (well a lot of people) don't like sighting in slug and turkey guns and why lead sleds sell so well. :lol:

You guys didn't warn me before I went and shot it :D

I don't usually like using "kicks like a mule" cause for one... have you ever been kicked by a mule??? I'm sure it would hurt worse! And secondly, nothing I have shot (until now) was sever enough were I thought "man...this thing really hurts". I've clocked myself in the face with my thumb shooting slugs out of the 590 with the short LOP... but I guess when you mix a gun thats less than 6lbs, a hard plastic recoil pad and 3" magnum shells... you get a shotty that makes you think "man...this thing really hurts!"

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I've been kicked by a horse a couple times, does that count?

:lol: (well, I laugh as I say I'm very sorry you've had to experience that!) Yes I would say that counts... did any firearm come close? Maybe this would :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxMlL333_Y[/youtube]

Ha! I still laugh every time I see that video.

Had an old sorrel that used to kick me in the shins when he was in a pissy mood and it hurt like hell. Never kicked me in the shoulder and I've never had to deal with firearm recoil on my shins, so it's kinds hard to compare... :D

The wife and I went out this weekend and I told her to try some heavy field loads, nothing major just some 2 3/4" high brass. She fired her 500 youth and said that hurts. A little later, I asked for her gun and put in a 3" turkey load. I shot it and honestly my first thought was I should of bought a 20ga instead of the 835 for turkey season. Alot more user friendly. Then she tried it, my wife is small about 4'10" 90lbs. I handed her the gun with only one shell it in, she braced herself. Pulled the trigger and hobbled back about 3 steps. She looked at me and said are you serious. I responded with wait till you sitting down. But then told her that if she has a gobblers head behind that bead I promise she wont feel a thing even if she and the gobbler rolls.

For me personaly the hardest hitter Ive ever shot would be a toss up. I shot a 10ga with no pad or anything on the end of the stock. Didnt really want to do it but wasnt going to wuss out. Shot my cousins Marlin 45-70 which wasnt bad till I told him that and he filled her to the gills and said treat it like a real cowboy gun. I dont know how many that thing held but I was ready for the truck afterwards. And lastly was a 500 special purpose with a pistol grip. Stick a 3" turkey load in one of those puppys and HOLD ON! if you can. The gun spun me in a half circle and tore a layer of skin off my hand between the thumb and index finger almost the size of a quarter. The buddy that was with me that day started jumping up and down clapping his hands yelling...ME ME ME..so I handed the gun over.

I am by no means judging those that rock pistol grip shotguns, but I must not be skilled enough to actually aim without a buttstock... kudos to those guys (and gals) that do :D

aksavanaman said:
I am by no means judging those that rock pistol grip shotguns, but I must not be skilled enough to actually aim without a buttstock... kudos to those guys (and gals) that do :D

Pistol grip isnt bad honestly, just dont be well stupid like I was putting a heavy turkey load in it. Light to moderate loads are user friendly.

Looks like I'll be calling H&R in the morning... took her out tonight to test out the new limbsaver slip on (what a freakin' improvement... so much nicer to shoot now :) ) and I'm pretty sure it's got a broken firing pin. I'm not too distraught about it since I only paid $40 bucks, but I hope I can send them the receiver for repair... doesn't look like drifting those pins would be easy...

:( So I guess my Topper was made in 82'... and H&R won't work on anything older than 87'. Guess I'll have to find a Gunsmith somewhere, although there aren't any on the Island. Maybe I could try and do it myself??? Bummed...

Back