• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotguns: non-Mossberg

I got to fire the Stevens 67 today. It did ok...I'll give it a lacklustre overview. It did fine with regular number 7 1/2 shot, but had some trouble with slugs...and it was set up for shooting slugs LOL. Had a couple that were difficult to extract after firing and I missed the target every time I fired at it. They were all low. I did much better shooting slugs with my 18" Mossberg 500...which just has the traditional bead near the muzzle! At least I almost hit the bullseye. I will keep the Stevens for just making noise with, but if I ever need to use a shotgun for anything other than fun, I will grab my Mossberg 500. Too bad this Stevens Shotgun is not a 520 or a 620 instead LOL, not a bad gun, but not my first choice.
I'll give it another chance though.
What have I learned from this? Don't pick a gun because you like the looks...LOL, but I'm sure I will do that again...

Mark

Nice gun Mark! Good Resto! As a "mechanically inclined" fellow, I find a big part of the enjoyment of firearms is taking them apart and seeing what makes them tick. And putting them back together successfully helps, too! :D

Just an FYI for someone, but I just tossed an old soft rifle case that had a deteriorated liner inside and was leaving almost a "grit" on the guns I put in it! :eek: Pulled a rifle out covered with grit and I said to myself "WTH! I just CLEANED this thing!" :mad: :oops:

Looks good. Glad to see older guns brought back into service.

Just got this back from the Gunsmith, had a replacement buttplate fitted. The 80 plus year old one it came with had long over ran the experation date of 1920's Bakelite. Didn't really need to share that, but I have little to talk about on here sometimes LOL.
Mark

I took the Stevens Model 520 out to a trap and skeet club today, and did it shine!!! First time shooting actual Trap today and I shot my H&R No.7 Single Shot 16 Ga. from the 1920's first and did good for first timer, fired the Stevens on the next go round and did even better!! I told the bloke not to keep score because I did not want the pressure and just wanted to make noise. Sort of regret that as I ended up doing good (in my take on the situation), think I got about 19-21 out of 25? or close to that. Anyway, had fun and think I'm hooked?
Mark

My gun is in the centre, not sure who owned the Mossberg and the under/over?

Thanks...I do love this Stevens. For a "utilitarian grade" shotgun, there sure was a lot of workmanship put into making it. The word "quality" comes to mind.
The good news...from what I have seen, the Stevens Model 520 tend to be sold on the cheaper side. Another thing about it, at least for me. I tend to shoot good at moving targets with this gun. Just like my Remington "The Sportsman" semi-automatic 16 Ga. shotgun, I've had good results with it too. Lo and behold, both were the brainchild of John Moses Browning... I was shooting Federal Target loads, number 8 shot, the recoil was just downright tame with this gun. I'm thinking this might be a good shotgun for someone who has never fired a 12 Gauge before.
Glad I spent the $150 on this one...
Mark

Thanks...I do love this Stevens. For a "utilitarian grade" shotgun, there sure was a lot of workmanship put into making it. The word "quality" comes to mind.
The good news...from what I have seen, the Stevens Model 520 tend to be sold on the cheaper side. Another thing about it, at least for me. I tend to shoot good at moving targets with this gun. Just like my Remington "The Sportsman" semi-automatic 16 Ga. shotgun, I've had good results with it too. Lo and behold, both were the brainchild of John Moses Browning... I was shooting Federal Target loads, number 8 shot, the recoil was just downright tame with this gun. I'm thinking this might be a good shotgun for someone who has never fired a 12 Gauge before.
Glad I spent the $150 on this one...
Mark

Don't worry. Pics will b coming soon once I order the bullpup kit.....
Its an easy conversion and just takes about an hour to do but at the price of 300 for the kit. So I'll shop around for a bit to see if I can get a deal somewhere.
You get the bullpup kit yet? Would love to see some pics!!

Sorry bro. Not yet. I got 2 AR lower builds right now so I've been buying AR parts left and right. I actually just finished one but got a few finishing touches left like the ambi safety and JP enterprise springs left to do then im posting the thread. W/pics:D.
And I just bought another lower on Monday for a separate build which im about to roll into now.
OH yeah and LES got me on this Pistol AR binge as well after I've seen his. So I guess that's 3.
Got to get the kit for the Bullpup, but its still holding strong at 300.00 so kinda waiting for a sale on it somewhere to "pull the trigger" on the kit. :rolleyes:
But will put up more info once I get it. I promise. Its coming.

Last edited:
Back