1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Should I prioritize fitting my Shockwave with an aftermarket safety?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by Mossbergermeister, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mossbergermeister

Mossbergermeister .410

I see the subject come up frequently when it comes to the Mossberg 500 Series of Shotguns (save for the 590A1 with the Aluminum safety) of replacing the stock plastic safety with an aftermarket safety made of metal, and it has gotten me kind of worried.

Folks seem to be concerned about the durability of the stock safety since it isn't made of metal, but is it really so flimsy that its something that I should prioritize? I mean, I see a lot of folks online who say that they immediately replaced the stock safety, but is it a necessity? In other words, is the stock safety so terribly unreliable and prone to breakage that replacing it ought to be made top priority?
    I see a lot of folks expressing concern over the durability of the stock safety, but is it really warranted? I find it hard to believe that Mossberg would have continued using a safety which is indeed unreliable/prone to breakage, especially considering that such could easily become a legal liability, but then again, stranger things have happened.

So what's the real deal on the Mossberg plastic safety? Are there indeed cases of it being terribly unreliable and if so are they recent or from years past? Is it a matter of immediate concern or is it merely that if one takes a Mossberg 500 out shooting/hunting on a regular basis for 50 years then the safety may break somewhere around that time?
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. Ernst

Ernst .270 WIN

As far as I'm concerned it's more of a marketing scam or for those who would rather accessorize their guns than shoot them. Must change out that plastic trigger housing next?

I've had a couple of Mossbergs for years and the plastic safety lever is still intact and works fine.

To each their own. I choose to spend my hard earned money on ammo.

Regards
    meanstreak and Mossbergermeister like this.
  3. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

Mine seems to function properly and it`s still a bit stiff but then again I don`t use it very much.....
  4. Ghmann

Ghmann .270 WIN

If your safety switch works smoothly and easily, no need to change it. I changed the safety switch on my 590A1 because the lower profile OEM switch was difficult for me to move into the fire position, especially when shouldered. The Promag or Brownell's safety switch is raised a bit and allows a better surface area for my thumb to push on it.
    Mossbergermeister and meanstreak like this.
  5. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

While I have no problem accessorizing or upgrading a gun whatsoever, I can say that I have a 500 that I have owned for 19 years now and the selector switch still isn't broke.

So, if it ain't broke....
    Mossbergermeister and meanstreak like this.
  6. blacksmith

blacksmith .270 WIN

The new safeties are pretty strong, it was the old ones that tended to break.
    Mossbergermeister likes this.
  7. Mossbergermeister

Mossbergermeister .410

Just as I expected.

It seemed to me that it must be a legacy issue if anything since I haven't been able to find any cases of them breaking among newer models in recent decades.
  8. LTB45

LTB45 .30-06 Supporter

I replaced the safeties on a few of my 500's.
    When hunting with gloves on the larger aftermarket switches are easier to actuate.
    It had nothing to do with concerns of breaking them.
    MikeD, Mossbergermeister and nitesite like this.
  9. LTB45

LTB45 .30-06 Supporter

I like customizing my guns!

When it comes to shooting them, I think that shooting them every weekend qualifies me as someone that SHOOTS!
  10. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Short of bashing your Shockwave like a baseball bat against light poles and concrete barriers, I doubt that your OEM safety would ever fail.
    Mossbergermeister and John A. like this.
  11. Mossbergermeister

Mossbergermeister .410

That sort of makes me wonder just how those who claim to have broken the safety switch on their Mossberg managed to do so.
    nitesite likes this.
  12. ricky_bobby

ricky_bobby .22LR

I change my Mossberg safeties to the Vang Comp aluminum/metal version more for the shape and tactile feel as its larger than the stock one. its worth it for the $30 and 5 mins to change out on each of my Mossy's....
  13. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

This!!

Hows it going LTB?
  14. pepi

pepi .410

They really don't cost much and they made a big difference on both my 500s
    Ghmann likes this.
  15. LTB45

LTB45 .30-06 Supporter

Great thanks Mike!

Really busy raising a 4yo and trying to keep competing shooting Trap.
    The 4yo is winning. ;)
    nitesite and MikeD like this.
  16. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 .270 WIN Supporter

I've replaced all 4 of my safety selectors (including my 590A1) with the Promag safety. For me it's about ease of activation not durability and hence a priority.

IMG_0146.JPG
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    nitesite and Ghmann like this.
  17. Warhammer

Warhammer Copper BB

I had the plastic safety break on an old Mossberg, but it was a 20-30 year old gun. I did replace the safety on my Shockwave, but that was more for easier manipulation than over worrying that it might break.
    Ghmann likes this.
  18. El Companero

El Companero Copper BB

I guess I too fit in the category, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If manipulation is an issue, then I'll consider it.
  19. Warhammer

Warhammer Copper BB

I don't remember exactly which brand of safety I bought, but it's the same style as the Promag. Since I replaced the birdshead grip with a pistol grip and brace, it's much easier to manipulate. I can swivel my hand up and push the extended tab with my index finger.

[​IMG]