• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show Us your Bike

Don't know. I put the link to this thread in a browser I don't login to my google account nor here and it shows up. :(

Could be an invalid character in the name somewhere. Some sites wont take a + or an & character in the file names and there may be other verbotten characters.

I found some things and I found out some things tonight.

First I found my backup drive shaft, and second I found that the aftermarket universal joint I had installed in my drive shaft fit in my bike, but it was not the equal of the joint that was originally there.

The trunions are smaller in diameter, there is less thrust surface on their ends, and there is no bearing surface at all at the base of each trunnion. There are other minor differences as well.

20160301_213226.jpg

You can see the trunnion of the joint on the left is smaller in diameter than the one on the right and the missing thrust flange is also evident.
Anyhow, here was the source of my vibration problem .20160301_213218.jpg

Last edited:
2AM, and I just finished the last bolt on Baggins....
20160302_015347.jpg
Its kinda low and you need that 2x6 under the tire to get a jack under it.

I'm freakin' beat but I just had to ride it tomorrow. Baggins hasn't been to the office in a few years.

20160303_072903.jpg
Baggins wallows with all that chome which decorates her substantial fundament.
1457019430231639596586.jpg The mufflers need a repack badly, and as I pulled up the hill to the rifle range I nailed it a little bit--enough so it sounded like a machine gun going off.

We have the "one second rule," so everyone not shooting turned to see who the idiot was. :rolleyes:

The quality of the chrome is production quality, so not as nice in (paint or) chrome as a HD. But the quantity of it on a $13k production bike was impressive in '03.

I stuck a lot more on too, and it's really over-laden up front. I need to beef up the front suspension. Plus that fork oil is from '03.

BTW, That's good advice about the Seafoam. The gas had Seafoam in it and that helps. Also it's possible the gas was not quite so old.

(edit... no I checked my old posts and that gas was from July 2013. The Nomad had only been started once or twice in 2.5 years. It had been on a Battery Tender Jr. the whole life of the battery: 6+ years.)

(Ummm...who mentioned Seafoam? Maybe another post.... Anybody spot my can of Seafoam in the pics above?)

Last edited:
The Nomad was a good deal at the time. I owned a 2007 and bought it new @12,800 OTD. There was nothing in that class that matched it for the price and coming from a Vulcan 800 classic, it was an upgrade. Fortunately or unfortunately, I wanted more. I test rode an 2009 ultra, a vision and a 2010 Voyager, just to see if I could find a cruising tourer that I liked. None of them struck a cord with me and part of it may be that for the Voyager and Ultra, the test rides were short. The HD dealer made me follow the salesman on a 4 mile ride. Even though I asked, I was never given answers to why buy HD. It was like either I believe or I don't. The Voyager didn't seem any peppier than the Ultra which had a 96 vs the 103 in the Voyager. The fit and finish on the Kaw wasn't as good and the luggage was flimsy. Kawasaki should have done better than that. The other thing is that the ergos on the HD and Kawasaki are meant for smaller folks than me. I am 6'5 and weight a bit. The Vision had more room and all the bells and whistles, but I couldn't get beyond the looks and the brakes weren't good, requiring more effort than they should and not much bite. Seems to be a common complaint about the Victory touring rigs and they haven't fixed it. The same dealer that was selling the Vision sells BMWs too. I wanted to test ride a K1200LT, but the model had been discontinued and all he had was R1200RTs. He tossed me the keys and said have fun. I actually had to put gas in it at one point...And I was sold. 570lbs wet with 7.1 gallons of gas, goes better than the other bikes, stops a lot better too and handles way better. I was sold. So Gunny is wrong: Ride a Victory and you'll buy one. I didn't. Losing 250lbs of bike was transformative. I have to wonder if cruiser riders tried a touring oriented sport tourer, would they come to some of the same conclusions I did? DK, but if they are honest with themselves...And I have nothing against cruisers, but Kawasaki didn't and still doesn't make anything I'd buy for having one bike. As with a lot of the Japanese bikes, they are made and engineered well, but there's usually shortcuts somewhere to keep the price down and margins up and it's usually with features and fit and finish. I mean the C14 still doesn't have cruise control. Even Honda's F6B didn't and they're asking 20K for them. They don't even have ABS. There's certain things all bikes should have, ABS is one of them. On any bike that would be over the road, cruise control is another. With throttle by wire, it's easy. So is traction control. That's where BMW shines. All the features and then some can be had. Does it cost more? Yes, but it all works. The funny thing is that the problems that crop up with BMWs aren't the high tech stuff, but the stuff that's been figured out for a while. May be BMW should have Honda build the bikes for them and have HD market them.

I've never even considered a BMW, Ducati, or any European bike because I was always put off by the high prices, but even worse the high cost of parts.

The Nomad parts are high, but still far cheaper.

Part of the charm of the Nomad is the look, but much of is is in that I can work on it .....
CRAP ANOTHER server error cost me half of this post. I'll finish later.

Last edited:
I've never even considered a BMW, Ducati, or any European bike because I was always put off by the high prices, but even worse the high cost of parts.

Part of the charm of the Nomad is the look, but much of is is in that I can work on it .....

New parts are more expensive for sure. There are resources to rebuild things that make it more reasonable, like ABS units, shocks, and drive shafts. An ABS unit on my bike is $2000 from BMW. I can have mine rebuilt with warranty for $350. Shocks are $3500. I can have the pair rebuilt for around $500 with new springs. A new drive shaft is close to a G, but it can be rebuilt for under $200. So it goes. Find the resources. After owning this bike, I won't get another bike without ABS and cruise. The brakes on this bike are better than anything I have ridden. Last year I was doing 80 on rt 87 when a native made a left turn in front of me and I just hit the start of the turning lane on my side. I grabbed all the front lever I had as BMW has partial integral ABS. The front lever actuates front and rear. The tail on my bike started to lift and I stopped about 15 feet from the suburban. If I was on the nomad or any other bike I've owned or ridden I'd have hit him.

Point taken Ponch, but if you're going to go 80 on uncontrolled roads you're gonna need that.

I don't normally do sport bike speeds on this barge. It's just for cruising. I haven't one ticket on a bike since the 70s Bro. ;)

But it could nonetheless use improvement at every point, and the suspension is a major issue.

I blew a rear shock in Mesquite and I'm still running a used one bought from Chuckster over on the Vulcan Baggers site.

The front springs have sagged a bit and the fork oil is 13 years old.

The mufflers were getting blown out, and the V&H mufflers were always too loud. I repacked the fiberglass and I also welded a restrictor on the front of each baffle. I need to actually extend the baffles. They only fill half the muffler.

Red hot!
20160304_211336-1.jpg

This should make a difference.
20160304_212312-1.jpg

(edit...I tried them out in the garage and they're still pretty loud. It's pouring rain so I didn't ride with them yet.)

Last edited:
Point taken Ponch, but if you're going to go 80 on uncontrolled roads you're gonna need that.

I don't normally do sport bike speeds on this barge. It's just for cruising. I haven't one ticket on a bike since the 70s Bro. ;)

But it could nonetheless use improvement at every point, and the suspension is a major issue.

I blew a rear shock in Mesquite and I'm still running a used one bought from Chuckster over on the Vulcan Baggers site.

The front springs have sagged a bit and the fork oil is 13 years old.

The mufflers were getting blown out, and the V&H mufflers were always too loud. I repacked the fiberglass and I also welded a restrictor on the front of each baffle. I need to actually extend the baffles. They only fill half the muffler.

Red hot!
View attachment 11315

This should make a difference.
View attachment 11314

(edit...I tried them out in the garage and they're still pretty loud. It's pouring rain so I didn't ride with them yet.)

I don't consider that sport bike speed, which to me would be over 125. I've seen some guys on HDs go 95 and I have little trouble passing them. :) What I like about my bike is that it will eat miles well. Put the cruise on 80+ and a lot of territory can be covered. I know a guy that used to have a K1600GT and he was owner of San Jose BMW and had a place in Show Low AZ. He told me there were parts of the trip where he could ride at max speeds for an hour. That's nuts and fast, but he had a lot of territory to cover, knew the roads and had the gadgetry to do it. The best I've done is 780 miles in 11 hours with stops for gas, pee and food. I couldn't do that on my Nomad. If I had a day long seat on the RT, I could ride much longer. The seat is the biggest limiting factor to me. I have a hard time doing more than 12 hours a day in the seat.

Normally I try to keep the speeds to 5-8 over. 10 and more and it's ticket time.

The Nomad is a fine bike. I think they made a mistake with the redesign in 2009 though. They should have kept the side opening bags and had ABS on US bikes from the beginning. I wish I kept my Nomad as bike 2 and in retrospect I could have, but the wife said only one bike. I won't make that mistake again.

I am not the Nad's harshest critic, but it does have its warts (and I too would have liked to see the Nomad take a different turn.) But If it was perfect I'd probably lose interest.

It's a toy for me. Serious motorcycle touring is not in the cards, because the Mrs can't go too far in a ride. In the Tacoma, she can roll all day.

I would like pack Baggins up in a small trailer and haul it around to famous destinations.

100 miles is a serious ride for my wife, and 200 will leave her sore and surly. 50 miles around the Tetons would be great.

Unfortunately the Nomad wants to go 500 LOL

image.jpeg Husqvarna announced the viptilian 701 concept will go into production. With a 400cc and 125 cc version to come later . It's not for me really, but I love the way it looks.

Edit. 701 may come down the road. 400 cc is what is in production. No 125 for the USA.
There is a flat tracker version with knobby tires, not sure if it will be in production.

Last edited:
Back