• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show Us your Bike

Finally got to get out yesterday after work on the MTB, I got some work to do to get my ass back in shape. Just my local trails, but better than nothing.

1eXPFfM.jpg

BCxWItD.png

Hit up the body farm trails at WCU yesterday. Probably not a great idea less than 24hrs after a stomach bug, I suffered a lot more than normal, I think one lady though I might actually die. :D Oh well, good to get out no matter what though. I also made a stem change (longer), and so far, I'm liking it.

QdJU3mG.jpg

QW4Nl23.png

So I rode Chicopee Woods on Thursday. I was worried the whole way there, it was drizzling rain of course. I met and talked to really nice local guy, who mentioned that him and his buddy had headed back it was so wet up top (Copperhead Gap). But, he mentioned that the trails dry really well, I checked the radar, and gave it a half hour and headed out. By the time I got to the upper trails, it was nothing but hero dirt, I had such a good time.

Also, I just want to give a shout out to all the GA peeps, you folks are the best. I've yet to come down there to ride, and encounter nothing less than people that want to chat or give advice in the parking lot, ask if you're OK if you're taking a break on the trail ETC. Hell, I don't even get that kind of courtesty on my home trails.

You folks are the best I've encountered yet, until you're in a car on 985 that is. I keed, I keed, kinda. :D

A72ZrwZ.jpg

B0NJU4t.jpg

EtJsuXe.jpg

VaDwqOp.jpg

X7Kbeqi.jpg

Dv3up8W.jpg

So my buddy Mike came over from the Gap (Deals Gap, he's up here from FL riding motorycles) today, and skipped a day of moto to come ride pedal bikes with me. Tough ride for me, it's my first big ride, and big climb this year. BUT, you get a 6 mile downhill run through some nice twisties as a reward, and as Mike said, it did NOT suck. I had a great time as always riding with friends you rarely get to hang out with.

Katie's Falls

TQG30J9.jpg

About halfway up the 6 mile climb

T5Ttito.jpg

At the top

PbFkxnf.jpg

Good times!

kj5Ctut.jpg

Strava deets

N1tOlT6.jpg

J5EwrBR.jpg

Been tinkering around with the squishy bike suspension a bit. Ordered the volume spacer kit for the shock, installed the largest one for a more exponential compression curve, dropped 10psi, and I'm in love. A lot more small bump compliance, yet not even close to bottoming out on some fairly technical stuff Sunday. Have the fork volume spacers on order also. We went and rode White Twister and Stonewall Falls in Tiger GA. I had no idea stuff like this existed close by. Not as technical as Pisgah, but a fair bit of techy stuff, and lots of steep climbing. We had a real adventure, two guys burped their tubeless setups running too low a pressure, and on the second one of the day the skies opened up and it fell a damn flood on us. The last five miles or so was a wet, slimy, slippery, mess. And the 2 mile downhill run back to the falls got a lot more interesting will off camber roots and rocks, and some fairly big falls if you got it wrong. It kicked my ass big time, but I had a freaking blast, and I'll definitely be back!

Shock torn down and the spacer on the left.

cwz8l0Z.jpg

Stonewall Falls, no trail pics, sorry

7AgPsmN.jpg

Bike got a bit filthy, pics don't do it justice, first time it's stayed in the garage since I bought it. :lol:

pAUP7hJ.jpg

Forgot to start my Garmin, as usual. :lol: Ride was just over 15 miles total.

A4JLoTM.jpg

So after that was done, I had decided not to do a whole lot on Monday, But Monday morning, I made a good breakfast and decided an easy recovery ride would make me feel better. And I wanted to tinker with my saddle position a bit anyway due to a recent back problem. So, off we went for the greenway for some HRM zone riding, and a little exploring too.

CnkRXyX.jpg

The Domane ain't scared of single track either

302XueJ.jpg

Hey, I remembered to start the Garmin this time :D

jCm26ss.jpg

I started riding at 9 on 3 wheelers since that's all there was as far as atv's at the time. That in the 80s I built a motocross track at my parents house and never looked back.

Current ride
2ntl7p4.jpg

This was 2 or 3 years ago
bke8l.jpg

Before anyone ask what brand it is I have to say that it's fully custom made. Cromoly chassis and suspension parts, long travel shocks ( 12 inches) with about 4 factory parts in total.

I'm old and worn out so I don't ride it much anymore because the old brain still thinks I'm 20....lol

^^NICE, who's motor? Honda, Yamaha? And I know the feeling of being mentally 20 and phiscally, well more than double that.

So I've been giving the supermoto some TLC for my ride coming up Saturday with Scoop. Bike has close to 23,000 miles on it, bought it brand new. A good 18,000 of those miles have been HARD miles, chasing buddies on high HP exotic machinery. I am very good about maintenance, I don't go by the owners manual on oil changes, well, because I ride my bike harder than most DRZ's will ever get ridden so I change it early (the shifter will tell you when it's time :D), often, and use good oil and filters. All four of my valves are still in spec after around 8,000 miles since the last check with more aggressive cams, and my cam chain is still good to go also. I figured I'd at least need to shim the valves. I LOVE this bike, it's the best motorcycle I have ever, ever owned, hands down.

Cams timed at TDC, and still a perfect 15 links between timing marks.

ZvU1Oii.jpg

Pretty impressive stuff guys. You can sure spend a bundle on racing stuff.

Andretti said to make a million dollars racing you start with $5 million and work backwards.

Those were the days when you could buy a new Corvette for $5000.

^^NICE, who's motor? Honda, Yamaha? And I know the feeling of being mentally 20 and phiscally, well more than double that.

I built the bike in 06 or 07 and at that time I decided on the YZF426. I used a 2000 motor and big bored it to 444cc, Hot Cams, major head work, ect..... Those 426 motors were the old 5 valve head and it has steel valves, another reason I chose it.

I too change my oil when it feels like it's going south, normally 3 good rides.

Pretty impressive stuff guys. You can sure spend a bundle on racing stuff.

Andretti said to make a million dollars racing you start with $5 million and work backwards.

Those were the days when you could buy a new Corvette for $5000.

You aint kidding.

To build an ATV like mine you could by a new Mustang GT. And hope you never break it or blow it up...lol

I loved the 426 motor, but yep, that's the one big gotcha of the modern HiPo 4 stroke, they make big power, but they make a bigger hole in your wallet if they go boom. Buddy of mine has been trying to get me back into dirt bikes. If I do it, you can bet it'll be a two stroke setup right for woods riding.

I have been riding 2 wheels as far as I can remember. My current scooter is 2013 Harley Street Glide running with stage 1 (Screaming Eagle air, Kuryakyn Crushers pipes and ThunderMax ECM).

IMG_20140705_100120_280_zpsf4f99665.jpg

IMG_20140413_121154_741_zps0a1d8ad2.jpg

Almost every year me and some of my buddies try to take 2 weeks off and plan a long cross country trip. This year we headed down to Grand Canyon and took the long way to stop and enjoy the finer things in life. Starting with the road map, it took 2 weeks and 5000 miles of road stories to share. The route is counterclockwise :)

Untitled2_zps62f7f74a.png

We pull over any camp site or along the way anywhere to camp.

IMG_20130621_181748_902_zps5a39dfb0.jpg

Stopping at the Four Corners

NewMexico_zpszk6hcqxm.jpg

Monument Valley in the background

Utah_zpssja2co9r.jpg

Beartooth Mountain Montana

ERT-2014-0674_zpsnm8i0vtf.jpg

Colorado_zpsvxxrxkvm.jpg

Here is my '15 BMW R1200R. Emotionally, I was leaning towards a Harley Low Rider, but the one on the lot didn't have the options I wanted. If the Low Rider S had been released at that time, I definitely would have gone with that instead. Still, the BMW is an excellent bike. Tons of features, comfortable, and extremely easy to ride... Just really expensive to maintain. I had some problems with it early on, but all is good now.

If it's more expensive to maintain than a Harley I would stay away from it completely. Baggins been fairly easy and cheap to hop up and maintain, (except for a couple instances where I screwed it up myself.)

Gas mileage is only fair though & It's much heavier all around. I do not try to keep up with lighter bikes, like Roadkings, in the corners.

Thanks deplorable. It can't keep up with the sport bikes (I don't try to anyway), but it has enough power for me. Plus much more ergonomic.

CaddmannQ, the annual service is what gets me. came from a Honda so I had sticker shock when I took the BMW in for its first service. People on the BMW forum seem to just accept it. They basically say what do you expect from a European luxury bike?

Once I am out of warranty, I think I will try to figure out how to do the service myself.

But for the most part, she has been a joy to ride. It doesn't lack in history, but it does lack a bit in character. I think my next bike, whenever that may be, will be a Harley though. My salesman who sells BMW and Harley said "Everyone should get a Harley at least once in their life to get it out of their system. Then they can sell it and buy a good bike." Even with that warning, I want a Harley. Emotionally, I have always been drawn to them. Plus gotta love that they are an American company.

Recently I thought about picking up a nice used Sportster for just bopping around town, but so far I haven't decided to part with the cash.

I have ridden exactly 4 Harley-Davidsons in my life. The first was an iron Sportster with rigid struts. It was fun for about 10 minutes. The second was converted from a 45" meter maid trike . I rode it around the parking lot in Layton Utah and decided I didn't want to buy it, no matter how cool it looked.

The third was a 60's Electra Glide, which was a nice bike in its day but it was too expensive and pretty heavy compared to the Yamaha that I was riding. (Much lighter than Baggins The Nomad however.)

The fourth was a 2000 model Road King and nearly-new. It belonged to my former next-door neighbor. I thought it vibrated an awful lot at idle. The steering was much lighter than the Nomad, but the clutch was very stiff, as it was on all these bikes.

Anyhow those experiences mostly steered me away from wanting a Harley Davidson.

Back