• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHUTDOWN!

What a surprise, the Chinese want us to keep borrowing. As noted in John's article by Thomas Sowell, just because we don't raise the debt limit, we can still pay on the interest and principle of our loans. maybe that would be a good thing. I hope the Chinese remember what the Japanese said about us...something about a gun behind every blade if grass.

The Chinese Vice Foreign Minister, Zhu Guangyao, told America’s deadlocked politicians on Monday that “the clock is ticking” and called on them to approve an extension of the national borrowing limit before the federal government is projected to run out of cash on 17 October.

“We ask that the United States earnestly takes steps to resolve in a timely way the political issues around the debt ceiling and prevent a US debt default to ensure the safety of Chinese investments in the United States,” Mr Zhu told reporters in Beijing. “This is the United States’ responsibility,” he added.

The American government entered its seventh day of shutdown on Monday, following the failure of Congress to approve the national budget a week ago. And there was little sign of progress on the still more crucial issue of the fast-approaching “debt ceiling” deadline. Yet rather than indicating a willingness to negotiate, the Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, stated on Sunday that it was “time for us to stand and fight” over the budget. He added that a default was “the path we’re on”. American stock markets opened down in response to the belligerent comments yesterday, with the S&P 500 Index of leading shares shedding 0.5 per cent.

My only hope is that voters remember what and who all this is about come the Mid-term elections in 2014.

All the drama is about a shift of power from the individual to the government. Most won't understand it until freedom is lost. They will be the first to whine.

I hope the house holds out until the debt ceiling expires. The Chinese can pound rice!!

Scott M said:
My only hope is that voters remember what and who all this is about come the Mid-term elections in 2014.

All the drama is about a shift of power from the individual to the government. Most won't understand it until freedom is lost. They will be the first to whine.

I hope the house holds out until the debt ceiling expires. The Chinese can pound rice!!

Unfortunately many voters can't remember what they had for breakfast. As for understanding power shifts, even more are already convinced that bigger more intrusive government is a really good thing. It's not unusual (historically) for slaves to like their status as long as they're treated reasonably well, since it relieves them of the heavy burden of responsibility that comes with freedom.

See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=9777&p=129976&hilit=who%27s+in+charge#p129976
Almost all voters -- 88 percent -- say “the government is in charge of the people.” That includes 83 percent of Democrats, 88 percent of independents and 94 percent of Republicans.

Only 8 percent feel “the people are in charge of the government.”

4% don't know.

Remember, the Chinese (and others) are thinking strategically, we are thinking locally. They are playing chess, we are playing, uh, well, video games.

The big feather in their hat would be the world reserve currency becoming the yen. They could care less about us as "a nation" because once that occurs and everything trades off the yen, they can treat us however they like. They won't need to invade us, they'll just let us wither on the vine.

They will be laughing all the way to the very literal bank while we embarrass ourselves politically. We will show we are unstable enough politically as a nation that we shouldn't be left in charge.

zagmp03 said:
Remember, the Chinese (and others) are thinking strategically, we are thinking locally. They are playing chess, we are playing, uh, well, video games.

The big feather in their hat would be the world reserve currency becoming the yen. They could care less about us as "a nation" because once that occurs and everything trades off the yen, they can treat us however they like. They won't need to invade us, they'll just let us wither on the vine.

They will be laughing all the way to the very literal bank while we embarrass ourselves politically. We will show we are unstable enough politically as a nation that we shouldn't be left in charge.

Actually no, the Chinese are playing Go. Completely different strategy than chess.

zagmp03 said:

That will be the time to make all US Currency valueless and go back on the Gold Standard!

The Quote of the Decade:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a
sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own
bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from
foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies.

Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally.
Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.'

Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the
backs of our children and grandchildren.

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

carbinemike said:
The Quote of the Decade:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a
sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own
bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from
foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies.

Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally.
Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.'

Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the
backs of our children and grandchildren.

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006
Wish he lived it but it appears the "bubble of office" and those that pull the strings of power actually want America indebted.

Sent from my SGH-I747M

GunnyGene said:
Actually no, the Chinese are playing Go. Completely different strategy than chess.

True. At any rate, we are coloring with crayons and they are using 3D printing. Or whatever analogy/metaphor you want to use. At any rate, we aren't thinking strategy, and they are.

Scott M said:
That will be the time to make all US Currency valueless and go back on the Gold Standard!

Right, but who has been buying all the gold? As is said, "he who has the gold makes the rules", and right now, much of it is overseas. The yen will be the next world reserve currency, and unfortunately, it will happen in my lifetime if the US doesn't get its fiscal house in order, and quickly.

I think we're past the slap in the face.

We're waking up in a tub full of ice after congress has harvested our organs.

MikeD said:
I think we're past the slap in the face.

We're waking up in a tub full of ice after congress has harvested our organs.

MikeD wins the internet - I think the note is going to say "You just got screwed, call China for help" signed - Congress.

I want to set the record straight about what Shinseki (runs the VA) said today.

Here's the quote:

Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki issued a dire warning Wednesday about the impact of a prolonged budget impasse, saying millions would see their benefit checks halted if the stalemate is not resolved in the coming weeks.

Shinseki said more than 5.18 million checks worth $6.25 billion could soon be held up.

"I will not be able to pay all these beneficiaries (without a budget)," Shinseki testified before the House Veterans Affairs Committee.

He said that if something is not done by Nov. 1, "I will not be sending checks out."

Though some Republicans have accused the Obama administration of making the impact of the partial shutdown worse than it needs to be, Shinseki claimed his hands are tied.

"What is best for veterans and for all of us right now is a budget for the entire federal government," he said.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the most highly staffed divisions of the government during the partial shutdown, with only a small percentage of workers furloughed. But Shinseki claimed the department's money will nevertheless run dry for a variety of benefit payments -- and explained there will be additional furloughs down the road.

A detailed breakdown in his written statement to Congress said that if the stalemate lasts into late October, disability compensation payments to more than 3.8 million veterans will stop in November, including those with "severe disabilities."

He said payments would also stop for more than 364,000 survivors getting special benefits, and pension payments would stop for more than 500,000 veterans and spouses or dependents. GI bill programs would stop for more than 500,000 people.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10 ... -payments/

Many might interpret the pension payment statement incorrectly. It does not refer to normal retiree pensions. Per DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting ) http://www.dfas.mil/pressroom/govtshutdown.html :

During the government shutdown, the Department of Defense will have no legal authority to pay any personnel - military or civilian - for the days during which the government is shut down. The shutdown will not affect payments to retirees and annuitants as those funds come from a retirement trust fund. Below is the effect the government shutdown will have on active duty military, civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, and DoD contractors.

It looks like the military death benefits are coming back.

The National Mall in DC will also be reopened...for a pro illegal immigration rally. Those sob's make me want to puke just thinking about them.

I hope the truckers shut down traffic on them.

Let's see: We're into Day 9, and so far nobody is jumping out of Wall Street windows, we've discovered that most of the Park Police are redundant, garbage is not piling up in the streets, the EPA is pretty much out of business (new regulations are on hold and no climate catastrophe has wiped us out), the military is getting paid, and quite a few other things.

Seems like we can live without the obese Fed Govt pretty well. The diet seems to be working! Let's make it permanent. :mrgreen:

Yup, as long as I get a paycheck... I can do without some of the "necessary" programs that are shutdown. You know, throughout all of these threats of the Military, Veterans and Retirees not getting paid... why did I never hear of welfare checks ending huh???? You give 20 years of your life to the service and then not get paid... but deadbeat trash can get their food stamps?

I think we all know the answer to that AK.

You can't be going around making the base mad.

Not saying everyone who gets help sometimes support the democrats because I know that isn't true and I have gotten food stamps before when I was first hurt and out of work, but there are many in that category that the shoe does fit that think the Gov is supposed to take care of them with no end and they can be footloose and carefree without being questioned. Those are the real ones that are the problem.

Back