• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sierra Tipped MatchKing

Funny thing, I went back to my recipe. The group of nosler that I,verified zero, and checked chronograph operation was also 23.5. The Nosler is a .340 B.C. gonna have to do head to head comparison at distance.

As far as the bullets, I like them. Can't really form an opinion until I see results on target. Some terminal ballistics would be good to see also

Forgot to mention, i got the OK to have powder and primers shipped to work, that'll make aquiring components for testing a little easier. Im content with the RL 15 as far as grouping, I dont think that humanly i can shoot any better. No sense locking this thing down into a vice/rest to obtain better groups, as thats terribly impractical for real life use. I would like to try some 8208 XBR though, not just for these, but for other loads. The temp stability is very appealing.

Well in that case if you like RE15 your going to love AR-Comp.....temp resistant RE15 with higher velocity and less pressure sign per grain is the best I can describe it....

2105892247990fc2cd726076ed294051.jpg

40 more. At 23.7 grain. Hopefully not raining tomorrow. Going to shoot these side by side with the noslers. Going to attempt to measure theoretical drop from Strelok, to actual drop. I'm hoping they drop less than calculated. Corn hasn't sprouted, so I could walk the field to set targets, but its been raining all day. So could be a muddy mess.

4f58f87241e4581069142a7033b7f76c.jpg

cb572f82d3a47d291bf139dc36efce25.jpg

2d7d6b13a7e85e22e4f3b4a924c6459b.jpg

The Sierra's were averaging 1/4 left when I zero'd. The nosler's were grouping about 1/2 high and 1/4 right of zero. Wind from 9-10 o'clock, about 15 I'm guessing

Overall it seems the Nosler cc shoot flatter at about 2650 FPS. than the Sierra at the same speed

And The Sierra drift less, so... which would you rather compensate for?

Tough call.....I'd have to shoot them

I'd probably go with the best grouping projo's regardless

I know for a fact Nosler Custom Competitions do shoot faster than Sierra

Something to do with the way or how much of the bearing surface engages the rifling...less drag on the Nosler . After I read that share enough my Nosler 77 and 69 had over 150fps faster velocity than the identically loaded Sierras I had.

Nosler groups better for me too so I haven't looked at Sierra till these tipped projo's came out....stll don't know if I think they are the end all be all looking at you results

Groups were similar, as good as can be hoped for from my end. Ive still got overs 100 noslers left, so I'm not gonna run out and any any more Sierra.

A lot of my best medium range shooting has been with Nosler. The Custom Competition and the Ballistic Tip.

I don't shoot scoped rifles much, and my "main" guns don't wear magnification. But I think Nosler is a damned fine bullet from what I have loaded and toyed with.

Side note: The .308"-series of Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets are color coded bright green so I have ZOMBIE bullets!!!! That makes me awesome and totally ready for the Apocalypse. Bwahhaahhaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dredging up an old thread, but didnt feel the need to start a new one. I got a pound each of AR Comp, and 8208 XBR today. My intentions are to find loads with similar velocities to what ive got with my current load of RL 15 (which i need to chrono now that its mid summer, see if theres a variance) and compare groups on paper. Granted, were not benchrest shooters here, and i can take any powder in my stock, and make a load to hit near enough POA to get business done. Just one of those things, gotta try it.

Back