• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sight options for Mossberg 46B-B?

old gunner

Copper BB
I have a Mossberg 46B-b that I got when Dad passed away a few years ago. I can barely recall when he first got it in 1949 or 1950. He had a scope on it, which I replaced since it was all fogged up. The inner magazine tube spring was weak and the last 2 rounds would not chamber. I have a new one on order now.

I am thinking about removing the scope and replacing the sights. I have some grandsons that are getting to the age of shooting and want them to use open sights. The rear sight is OK as far as I can tell. The front sight is missing the hood and has been banged around the last 50 years or so.

Just looking for options for those that have been thru this before.
1) Replace the front sight and maybe add a peep sight. (also remove the scope).
2) Update front and rear sight with new version from Marbles.

Any suggestions?

old gunner

I have two 46B-Bs and a 146 (the next generation). Those aperture sights work great but another option is an old external adjustment scope. Good luck with it, they are great rifle.
Mossberg46BTgt_zps20458a00.jpg

46BTgt-1_zps3eefd279.jpg

I maybe late on this post. I have a 46B(b) - was my Grandfather's & Father's - and a 46B(a). Both tack drivers like the above post shows. I try to keep my Mossbergs (the older ones) original. The 46B(b) has a S106 front sight and a S107 rear sight. The front sight on the 46(a) has been modified to a blade but still has the hood. It has a S102 rear sight. Both 46Bs have side holes for scope mounts and rear side holes for peep sight mounts. Triggers are adjustable. I made a new front sight hood out of a spent .45 shell and painted it flat black. The hoods are usually lost. Oh and I cheated on my Grandsons and gave them a Sears .22 this last September.

Not now but will but it on my list. I have several .22s from model 26BA to 144LSB to 402, 464, 640KD to the Mossberg International 702/715/802. Then the 817s came along. The big bores and shotguns keep adding up too. Still looking for more older Mossberg .22s and parts here in Canada. The pictures I have don't do them justice.

The original peep on this rifle was a S-130 and a S106 front. Keep in mind that all Moss. peep sights had the same hole spacing from the #4 to the end. Lyman made a 57 with the same spacing for Moss., these are hard to find and cost more. Other wise you will have to make new holes (at least one) and value will drop, if this matters to you.

Back