• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sight question, Ghost ring vs. bead?

One of my final questions about the 590 is not necessarily about speed but durability. I know that the bead sights on the 590's and all Mossberg shotguns are simply screwed into the barrel. How durable is this? I know the ghost ring sight is silver soldered onto the barrel and then the rear sight is screwed into the receiver holes. I've tried both and have no preference, as both work good for my application. My question is simply how durable the 590 bead is over time with high power loads? I feel like I've been bombarding this forum with endless questions, but that's what a forum is for, right?

If you follow the KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple) mentality then I would go with the bead sight over the ghost rings. The bead sight design is a very tried and true system that just plain ole works.

A bead is good for fast, short range shots. A longer shot, the GRS gives you more accuracy.
As a compromise, a GRS with a Dot front sight (especially a Tritium Dot for low light shooting) gives you the best of both.

I know this may be a stupid question as the 590a1 is known for its durability especially with the military, but since the bead is simply screwed into the barrel. How well does it hold up to lots and lots of rounds? I think to myself, if it was a major problem then they wouldn't use that method of installing them on the barrel anymore but I've heard that they can fall out.

the problem is not the number of shells but breaking them off in use , like stuffing it in the truck and it getting knocked around in the field. I have seen quite a few broke off at the threads and a couple that fell out.

The bead sight wont be worn out by shooting, nor should it back out spontaneously. If it were a concern, you could put some blue loctite on it. As for durability, one vs the other, if youre hard enough on a gun to bust the bead off, the GRS front post/blade isnt gonna last any longer.

The bead because of its low profile, while not indestructible like Oli mentioned, is far better suited to daily use/abuse I would think. Any other sight with a higher profile is more likely to snag or get dinged/bumped/banged... Just what I'm thinkin. I know lots a folks have GRS sights and never damage those either. Just depends how hard you are on a gun I guess! ;)

low profile is the only thing that healps it, the marerial is weak and when caught right it dont take much to pop it off. GRS is much stronger and will take more abuse IMO

sorry for the late addition, but let's not forget that beads are cheap and easily replaceable. Having said that though, I'm considering ghost rings for my smooth bore 500 just for the added range down-barrel on those pesky white-tail.

For me, the primary difference is in the use of the weapon and the accuracy of firing the weapon. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the durability of either solution. I'm a fan of the ghost ring sights for "battlefield expediency". On an upland game bird gun or a trap gun, I'll stick with the bead or a fiber optic sight.

Back