• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighted in my 930...need help

Joe W.

Hi folks...I have been a member for a while but have not posted in some time.

I recently picked up a 930 Combo...waterfowl and slug barrels. I intend to use it for deer and turkey.

I broke the gun down and cleaned it...installed the slug barrel and went to the range to run some slugs through it. I was using Hornady's SST sabot slugs. Started at 25 yds with the factory iron sights.

Out of the box the gun was very consistent...stacked 3 shots high-right. Adjusted elevation first and got it right where I wanted in a few more shots.

Here is where I have a bit of a problem.....I only worked with the rear sight and had to actually cantilever it way to the left off the sight base to get the windage right. Now the front sight and centerline of the receiver are in line and my rear sight is WAAAY left of center.

How much do I want to move my front sight to the right to correct? Is it my form by chance? I have shot a lot of open sights and never had this issue before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

Pattern the smooth bore barrel at 16yds, I usually do 3 shots with the full or tightest choke off of a rest and observe the center core in relation to POA. This will tell you if it is your mount, especially if it corresponds with what the slug barrel is showing.

Try a box of different brand slugs to see if the same issue exists of if the pattern is elsewhere.

That amount of adjustment seems a bit extreme but every gun is different and some just do not like a particular brand of slugs. You can often take two seemingly identical guns and they will shoot differently with the same brand of ammo.

Thanks guys....I took a good hard look at the gun last night........I put the gun in a vice and put a laser on it....front sight is right inline with the centerline of the receiver....the rear sight is at least 3/16-1/4 left of center. Confused.

Last edited:
Where is it in relation to the toe and heel of the butt stock?

How would you describe your face? Thin, round, chubby checked? It is possible that the cast is wrong for you, that was the reason I suggested that you patterned the bird barrel @ 16yds

Where is it in relation to the toe and heel of the butt stock?

How would you describe your face? Thin, round, chubby checked? It is possible that the cast is wrong for you, that was the reason I suggested that you patterned the bird barrel @ 16yds

Cowboy...thanks for your replies...I appreciate the help.....I will take a look at the line of the butt stock tonight.....my face is thin/narrow. I was very comfortable shouldering the weapon until I had to adjust the sight so much. The use of the spacers and stuff that came with the gun are a little out of my league and I may have to get some help.....or just mount a scope...which I was trying not to do.

I live in the 'burbs and shooting/patterning the shot barrel is kind of a big deal....not easy for me.

When you do dget to the range have somone else shoot your gun. Sounds simple but it will isolate or eliminate user error.

Also are the front and rear sights lined up correctly on the barrel. If one of the mounts is off it could account for the over correction.

Most local ranges have a steel pattern plate for their clay shooters. I would call around, shouldn't be a problem to find at least a couple ranges with a plate.

If the bird barrel pattern is off to the same side as the rear sight, it will prove to be a cast problem that could be as easy as adding a soft comb to push the stock away or using a heat gun to mold the buttstock inward to remove cast.

The frustrating thing is, if you have to crank your head, neck or shoulders to get a good mount, it will not be comfortable to shoot. Regardless of the game or shell, you want a slow methodical mount. It needs to be repeatable, But most of all it needs to be smooth. The whole process should be fluid and easy and come to your face and shoulder at the same time

You know what guys? The front sight is CANTED and I am finding out this is a common problem.....WTH?

@Joe W. This was a common problem with the early gens of the SPX models. I've not heard about this as much from the others. I would call OFM Customer Support @ (800) 363-3555 and have them send you a new one. I would call rather than email.

Thanks guys.....I am very surprised at this whole episode as I bought the waterfowl/slug barrel combo from Gander Mountain and after I got it home and broke it down to clean it and installed the slug barrel it was painfully obvious that the rear sight base was tapped 1/4 inch right of center. Being the base there was no adjustment. You could not sight down the barrel without twisting the gun over to the left.
I brought it back to GM (an hours drive on my day off) and in order to make things easy on me they bought the gun back from me and ordered me a new one......only for me to discover after paying for range time and a bunch of sabot slugs that there is a problem with the front sight on this one. How do things like this get through quality control? On a firearm no less.
I am not a troll and not here to bash....I have a 500 for years that I absolutely love....I own a 100ATR in .243 that I put a Boyds Stock on and the thing absolutely drives tacks....it is a joy to shoot. I wanted a semi-auto for this deer season and saw no reason to spend more as I have been happy with my Mossbergs in the past.

I am just kind of fed up.....ordered bases and rings and I am going to mount a 3-9 power scope I have laying around for this deer season.....working 9-5 M-F in Manhattan gives me little opportunity to hunt with my bow and to sight in my firearms. I will deal with the issue after 12/31.

Thank you all for your input....you guys are always very helpful.

Back