• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

"Sighting in" advice query

Mudbug

Not exactly competition shooting question, but general sighting question for ya"ll. Got a 590A1, 20 in barrel with ghost ring sights. At what range should I start at, to see where my grouping is? After adjustments, at what range should I have it zeroed? Gonna use it mainly for home defense and at the range.

I'm interested in the answers you will be getting. I have a 20" 590 with GRS so I'm tagging this thread.

I would consider the distances inside your home or on your property at which you would likely have to take a shot in order to neutralize a threat. Start with the closest distance and pattern your shot. Move your target out in increments and note how your pattern changes at different distances until you've reached the longest shot you would have to take. You'll want to zero your sights to the distance with the optimal shot pattern that will be most effective inside your home. Different brands/loads will pattern differently, so it's a good idea to try a variety until you find one that works for you and your weapon. Remember you're responsible for every pellet that leaves your firearm, so knowing how your chosen ammo performs at various distances can mean the difference between life and death for you, your intended target, or anyone on the other side of it...

As expected, very informative answer, LES. I have walked the inside of my house to be aware of the background and also what is outside the walls. As far as HD, 30 ft of hallway being the longest line of sight I would encounter, a zero pt is probably negligable, you think? In an outside environment, with maybe a slug, however, is 50 yds a good range to zero? Elevation adjustments would not be too extreme, would they?

Honestly, I still think your shot spread should determine your sighted zero for HD.

You'll want to find the farthest distance that your weapon and chosen ammo will pattern tightly. It will very likely be well inside the 30ft you mentioned above. Once you find your sweet spot, you can zero your sights to it and at distances inside that zero you'll find that your POA/POI will not vary much.

As far as slugs at the range you can adjust as needed for 50yd, but make sure you either mark your sights or record your adjustment so you can return the sights to your HD zero before returning home...

Thanx, LES. Good idea about marking sights. Will do. Then, I could click back and forth to those marks. Maybe try two different colors of my wife's fingernail polish with a thin brush. Or is there a product available for marking sights?

With cylinder bore the only control that you will have with shot is the ammo. I'd want to know via real world tests what my gun did with various ammo. FWIW many have reported VERY tight groups with Federal "Flitecontrol" Buckshot from cyl bore shotguns.

Gearing up to go to the range, now. A little cool outside, 40 degrees, gonna see how much wind before I decide to get on the line. Have beau coup slugs, will find my 50 yd mark for sights. Thanx, guys. Ya'll been a lot of help. "Di Di Mau"!

...fingernail polish works just fine. I started using those enamel paint pens when my wife got aggrivated at me for messing up her fingernail polish...

Good advice LES……..I think once you get shooting you will find if you’re on at 50 with a slug , your 00 buck will easily be minute of chest at HD range.
My advice, don’t over complicate it, don’t worry about the wind much inside 50 yards with an OZ of lead. Work on trigger pull, recoil management and the mechanics of follow up shots with a pump ...for you HD use

Eagerly awaiting your results

Re: "Sighting in" advice query

Mudbug..

I'm not sure if these are helpful with GRS's but I know they work pretty good for optics. I wont be using it with GRS's but I will be using it with a red dot that's in the mail. Thought it could be helpful for you.

e9a3ume3.jpg

$30 on amazon, prime eligible, arrived in less than 36hrs.

If planning on getting one, I'd steer away from anything cheaper than this one, where as they're diameters might not fit tightly in chamber causing the zero to be way off. This one looked the biggest, plus it has a flange like a shell does so it will be pressed against into place nice & flush with the bolt & barrel. Others don't have that flange so there might be a possibility of movement or it totally sliding down the barrel if its too small.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Re:

jimmycrackcorn said:
Mudbug..

I'm not sure if these are helpful with GRS's but I know they work pretty good for optics. I wont be using it with GRS's but I will be using it with a red dot that's in the mail. Thought it could be helpful for you.

e9a3ume3.jpg

$30 on amazon, prime eligible, arrived in less than 36hrs.

If planning on getting one, I'd steer away from anything cheaper than this one, where as they're diameters might not fit tightly in chamber causing the zero to be way off. This one looked the biggest, plus it has a flange like a shell does so it will be pressed against into place nice & flush with the bolt & barrel. Others don't have that flange so there might be a possibility of movement or it totally sliding down the barrel if its too small.

Bore sights are a great tool especially for guns that you cannot get a look through the barrel for visual help. I have one for most calibers that I own including the 12G like yours.

mingaa said:
Bore sights are a great tool especially for guns that you cannot get a look through the barrel for visual help. I have one for most calibers that I own including the 12G like yours.

This will be my first time using one of these, how far out are they good for with slugs, 50-100yrds?

They are ok for getting you on paper at close range.....a laser projects straight, a bullet flies in an arch, a slug flies with a giant arch. Depending on the bullet or the slug the arch varies greatly

Yeah. That's what I was wondering. Kinda like a slow pitch softball league, the slugs get lobbed out there with a high arch. What about the sabot slugs, I've never shot em. Do they got a little less arch... maybe like a fast pitch softball league. Haha..

Yeah, less for the sabot for sure, once you get out beyond 50 yards with foster slugs you can really tell the difference between low recoil and full power , inside 50, they mostly all act the same or same enough to me, past 100 I can tell a difference in ammunition manufactures......Talking 1oz fosters.

there is value in laser sighter if you firearm is way off and you can’t see through the bore like someone else here mentioned....of course this is all based on opinion, I never have seen anyone operate one of these good enough to call it precision…… paper ,yes

oli700 said:
I never have seen anyone operate one of these good enough to call it precision…… paper ,yes

:shock::?But.. but... but.... Sightmark says ''precision'' on the packaging!!:cry:

Haha.. I hear what your spitting.

I'm gunna be using a china made bore sight to sight in a china made red dot. Its the ''PRO'' version too..... I'm in for a "precision'' treat.:lol:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back