• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting in with different ammunition

Chris C

.270 WIN
This may sound like a ludicrous question to those of you who have been involved with firearms and ammunition all your lives but........................

I've never shot slugs in a shotgun before. And, honestly, since plinking has been my main use for any firearm before, I've never really looked for a special ammunition that works best with a particular firearm. I've just grabbed something recommended and shot a few rounds that hit close to the bulls-eye and called it good. So far I've been lucky, I guess, because the firearms I've owned and the ammunition I've chosed seems to hit where (or mighty darnned close to where) I've wanted. At least I've been able to dispatch the predators that have threatened my llamas over the years.

I'm wanting to use Brenneke's Green Lightning slugs...............but have just recently found a place that would order them for me...............and I still don't have them. So yesterday I picked up a 5/box of
Federal Premium, 1oz slugs. If I use them to sight in the red-dot on my Mossie 500, with they be at least "close" to hitting in the same area as the Brennekes...........or will I just have to do the sighting-in all over when the Brennekes arrive?

yep it will be real close.....the further you shoot the more of a difference you may notice but inside 50 yards your good

Thanks, oli. Just didn't want to waste the time or 5 Bucks if it wasn't going to do any good.

oli is again correct. If you bought six different brands of 1-oz slugs, sighted in one brand, and then shot them all you'd probably see a big gaping softball-sized group on paper at 50-yards with a red-dot that holds zero.

I'm going to pull the trigger on ordering some Green Lightnings. I feel like since I was one of the first to bring up the name Brenneke (first started shooting them in the 80s) and helped get people interested who had never heard of them before that I need to step up to the plate and get me a case of Green Lightnings and do some reviews and pics.

it will do good....shooting always brings some sort of good

This brought a much needed smile to my morning. :)

Back