• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

I've been a Mossberg fan since being a Teenager. My first gun was a Mossberg. I only own Mossberg shotguns, plus I have an older .22 Mossberg .22 rifle. So, after being satisfied for almost 50 years it pains me to post a complaint. Nevertheless....

I bought a Tactical .22 earlier this year and can't hit the side of the barn with it. I've tried 4 different types of ammo, added a red dot sight and still no improvement. In contrast, I can set the gun down and pick up my other Mossberg bolt action rifle and easily get a 1" group. So, I know its not me!

Best I can do is about a 10" group at 25 yards.

I sent it back with a detailed letter explaing poor accuracy. It was returned very promptly with the comment that the stock was fixed. ???? Seems like a barrel problem to me, like a bad crown. Certainly the stock was OK.

OTOH, it shoots and cycles flawlessly.

So far I'm out $26 for shipping. I hate to spend another 26 to have them not test fire it again. Any comments or advice what to do?

Attachments

• Bad Mossberg.jpg
    Bad Mossberg.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5,089
Re: Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

Wow, I am sorry I have no exp with this firearm but damn at 25 yards I could do better with a slingshot. I would call customer service and bitch till they paid freight to and from for the real fix, ask .....that is just unacceptable. Tell them you sent it in for an accuracy problem and they sent it back with a fixed stock that didn’t need fix’n . Give the rep a chance to fix it, if you’re not getting anywhere just ask for a supervisor and tell them the story, tell them you will email the picture of the target.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum GypsmJim !!

I'm with Oli700...contact Mossberg and explain the situation, I'm sure they will want to make it right.

Keep us informed by posting back to this thread...Good Luck !

They are mailing me a pre-paid return label, so in 3-4 days I can drive to the Fedex store again and send it back. They said they would give it to a "person higher up in Management" and they would contact me before they repair it. I asked for a new gun.

The letter I included with it was short and sweet and typed in 28 pitch cap letters, so I hope they read it this time.

It's definitely Something with the manufacturing, mine hits the bull no problem. Good luck, keep us updated!

I was shocked how acurate this .22 is. I picked up one for my sons Christmas present, and took it to the range before getting it home. It shot 2" groups (50 yards) right out of the box. I then put a 1960's Sears and Robuck,3x-9x40 scope on it. I was getting 2" groups at 100 yards.
Might want to check the ammo? I put exactly 500 rounds of CCI Stingers through it, and only had two jams. That's a little better than my Ruger 10/22, SR22, or Marlin 60c.
I'll bet Mossberg makes this right in the end. They are a good company w/ some pretty good products.

MYGRANE said:
I was shocked how acurate this .22 is. I picked up one for my sons Christmas present, and took it to the range before getting it home. It shot 2" groups (50 yards) right out of the box. I then put a 1960's Sears and Robuck,3x-9x40 scope on it. I was getting 2" groups at 100 yards.
Might want to check the ammo? I put exactly 500 rounds of CCI Stingers through it, and only had two jams. That's a little better than my Ruger 10/22, SR22, or Marlin 60c.
I'll bet Mossberg makes this right in the end. They are a good company w/ some pretty good products.

Several asked for an update, so here's the latest.

It's not the ammo - I've tried 5 different flavors and all perform poor.

Mossberg Customer Service has been quite stellar. It took almost 2 weeks get the RA (they said 3-4 days) and they've had the gun now for almost a month. Now they aren't answering my e-mails.

In the meantime I picked up a 90 year old J. Stevens .22 pump for $150 and even with my cheep ammo it shoots 1" groups at 50 yards. So, I guess its not me either.

I won't give up and I won't send it back a third time. Stay tuned...

That's not acceptable...I'm looking forward to this problem being solved soon, so good luck !!

...and Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum MYGRANE !!

Post some pics of your son's new .22 !!

I called Customer Service today and they said they were finally working on the gun now. The girl said they were replacing the receiver because of function problems.

I told her it functioned very well, it just didn't shoot straight and it needed a new barrel.

My letter included with the gun was typed in 24 pitch and short bullet statements. I wonder if they can understand English!

GypsmJim said:
I called Customer Service today and they said they were finally working on the gun now. The girl said they were replacing the receiver because of function problems.

I told her it functioned very well, it just didn't shoot straight and it needed a new barrel.

My letter included with the gun was typed in 24 pitch and short bullet statements. I wonder if they can understand English!

Probably not from what I understand they hire alot of people whos first language is spanish. Javier Contreras that helped me is about the only person there that i found wasnt a waterhead. Call and ask for him

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

After nearly 3 months and 5 trips across town to the Fedex store, it finally came back. The last trip to the Texas/Mexico Border Town Service Center took FOREVER, even though the package was marked (by them) "hot" because it was a repeat repair.

Three recent calls and each time they said it was being worked on, the last call was that it was shipped. Three different stories...
1. the stock was repaired (OMG they thought I couldn't sight it in properly)
2. the receiver was being replaced (because of "function" problems - I clearly stated it functioned fine, just couldn't hit the target)
3. they cleaned it and it test fired ok.

OMG, you think I didn't clean it before proclaiming it to need a new barrel. You could see the scratches in the bore from the poor boring job when they made the barrel.

The return box did say "requested new barrel". Actually, truth be told I asked that this piecojunk be replaced!

OK - here are the result....I took it to the indoor 50' range and bench rested it with the SAME ammo they said they test fired it with (they always want to know what ammo you use). Lousy results!

Then, I ran 100 rounds of Federal ammo thru it and it was better than their choice.

End result - 4" group at 50' bolted to a gun vice. Well, anyway it IS an improvement - it started out at a 10" group.

Took my Henry along and got a 1" group. So, its not me, nor the ammo.

What a piece of crap! NEVER buy another Mossberg as long as I live. Mr. Mossberg is probably rolling - I should have known when an old company starts having their stuff made overseas. All my Rugers are USA and even the Henry is USA made.

I'm in a quandry what to do now. I WILL NOT send it back again. The returns are costing me too much money. I hate to sell it and saddle some other schmuck with junk.

Anybody live in Western NY State? Bring me a six pack of Bud and its yours. Its never going back to my range again!

that just sucks man...but..i live in CT. maybe i could take a weekend trip over there. ;)

but seriously. i wouldn't say that all mossbergs are crap. mine is awesome! and i'm sure there's quite a few here that would say so as well. it's really a bummer that sometimes this stuff happens. a real bummer. i can't even imagine how you feel at the moment.

ripjack13 said:
that just sucks man...but..i live in CT. maybe i could take a weekend trip over there. ;)

but seriously. i wouldn't say that all mossbergs are crap. mine is awesome! and i'm sure there's quite a few here that would say so as well. it's really a bummer that sometimes this stuff happens. a real bummer. i can't even imagine how you feel at the moment.

Oh I agree. I did my homework before I bought it and everybody raved. All my old Mossbergs (I have 4 others) are fantastic. I just got a lemon this time and the factory doesn't know how to repair it.

This is my last post!

I would not have come back but several of you nice people asked for updates, so I have complied.

I have been shooting and collecting for over 50 years. NEVER have I had to send a gun back to the factory. I have 90 year old guns that are rusty and still shoot 2 MOA.

I was going to give Mossberg a 3rd chance, but when their shipping label took a week and a half to get to me because they couldn't even spell my address correctly, I just gave up.

The tactical .22 has been trashed at my expense. If Mossberg decides to go back to be an American company once again, maybe I'll give them another try. But for now I'll stick to buying "Made in USA".

I only hope that my negative advertising impacts Mossberg to a greater extent than my own personal monetary loss.

Re: Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy - Last Update

I said I wouldn't post again, but I'm just so Happy I just had to.

Took my losses like a man and put an extra couple hundred down and bought a S&W M&P Tactical 15-22. Awesome performance, awesome accuracy (at least 2 MOA) and a fine well made piece.

Shot 550 rounds thru the first day with not a single hitch. Didn't even need to sight it in.

So, I bought a second magazine for the second time out and found the spring tension wasn't 100% right - it wouldn't keep the bolt open on the last round. Otherwise perfect. I figured I could rectify it but decided to write S&W anyway to ask for advice. Soooooo, what did they do???

Didn't ask for me to return it......didn't question the problem, didn't want a RA, made no excuses. A complete new magazine was sent out express mail the very same day - no questions asked.

Now that's Customer Service that will help sell me the next gun.

The icing on the cake was all MADE IN USA.

Nice......Dan should show this posting at the Mossberg booth. Glad you are a happy shooter, been considering mp15-22 for my woman

Every company has lemons....how they remedy the problem once they have your money is when you see a company’s true colors....

Dear Mossberg, people are reading these.....and they are buying other company's guns

Thanx for the update jim. You know we'd love to have you visit here more often. Just cuz it says Mossberg owners doesn't mean we are just all about Mossberg . We have other topics and stuff you can chime in about. Hunting. Ammo. Just to name a few. And we all would love to see pix of that new beast! Not just me....well ok..I really want to see it too.
Don't be a stranger.

Back