• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Re: Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

also ..this just in...

DHonovich said:
Spoke with Joe Zakher and some others about this today at the show (their booth was crazy busy with the release of the FLEX your mossberg release). The owner of Mossberg is aware of the issue and have some new systems being put in place to hopefully get things turned around. Its going to be a work in process but they are well aware and want to make it right.

hopefully jim, this will be just a bump in the road.

cheers.

Hi Jim, so sorry that you had problems with the .22. I was in the market for a Tactical .22 and looked at them all. The plastic on the Mossberg turned me off but the price was right, but I had reservations even with all of the good reports, then I picked up the Sig 522 and it was love at first sight. I live in Ca. so I couldn't take it home for 10 days but it was worth the wait. I also liked the M&P but it was going to be out of stock for a month or so, so that sealed the deal. Are you going to put a scope on the M&P ? Good luck with your M&P and hopefully Mossberg will make it right for you.

I hope this is just a one in a few deal cuz my mossy tactical .22 shoots 2 inch groups out of the box at 50 yards and after i get done fine tuning hopefully Ill have it to an inch.

I hope so too. also I don't think he'll be back either.

ripjack13 said:

Actually, I just DID come back. Curious if others had made more posts to my thread.

Since I dumped the Tact22 I had no follow-up from Mossberg. So, I guess they aren't interested in keeping a customer happy. Ny S&W M&P is an awesome gun. So far I have put about 1500 down the tube and have not had one single hiccup. Even my wife says its sweet.

I recently got a 1950's Mossberg bolt rifle at a garage sale and although its quite rusty on the outside its a tack driver. As I said in post #1 they used to be my favorite.

Bought my wife a handgun for her birthday from the local gun shop. While we were waiting for the paperwork to be finished another guy came in and wanted to buy a Tact22. I just stood there and listened without commenting. The dealer had one, but talked him into a M&P instead. His comments were poor accuracy.

Hey Jim! You made it back! Glad to hear you got something that works! You can start a topic on it if you'd like..we're not just all Mossbergs.....go to the section on the main page where it says other guns and go to either hand guns or long guns...

Thanx for checking in again! Don't be a stranger..you are always welcome here.

wow this threads a bummer, sorry to hear you bought a junker ....

I did too :evil:
it wouldnt load a new round just jamb, I found metal burrs under the top lip of the mag I had to file down...then it loaded but it also stove pipes every 3-5 rounds, tried $100 worth of different ammo to realize I have a junker
metal shavings inside the reciever from the factory causing the slide to hangup, the charging handle became loose after 4 rounds(works but rattes now) the 25 rd mag wont load more than 11 cartridges

Im reading all over the net MANY owners have these problems, they dont get resolved....and am wondering if Im a fool to mail it in to Mossberg as they asked me to do

I GUESS ITS THE OLD ADDAGE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

I have actually been hearing a lot of problems randomly from all over the net on various forums and I have also read numerous posts that make me think that mossberg's reputation is slipping as a quality manufacturer.

This does not include just the 22 guns.

Not to beat it in the ground, but I contacted mossbergs customer service because the safety button is malfunctioning on my 500 because the little plastic tab on the end of it is broken, and I'm unwilling to ship the whole gun to them at my expense when realistically all that needs shipped back to them is the complete fire control group to replace the trigger. I could mail that in one of the little $5 priority boxes or do as they ask and pay UPS $23 to ship the entire gun insured.

I'm not in the habit of throwing $20 bills away when it is stupid to waste that much more money when it's unnecessary to ship the entire gun.

At midwayusa, a plastic mossberg 500 trigger costs $17 and weighs less than an ounce.

The shipping company would clearly be making more money than mossberg than the replacement part costs.

And I wonder if mossberg is getting a big tax break for making the post office money hand over fist.

Did the USPS send them a Christmas card last year. :roll:

If not, they should've

I think there's potential for a lemon in every product, you can't expect every one off of the line to be perfect. I believe its how the company makes it right, or in this case doesn't, that affects their reputation. That being said the Internet is full of people bitching about every little thing and it's hard to trust more n half of what you read...

I think there's potential for a lemon in every product, you can't expect every one off of the line to be perfect

I agree with that statement, but this particular model Its NOT JUST ONE LEMON....I see far too many having the SAME problems....... the complete model is a lemon & hit and miss whether you get a shooter or not and then pay equally as much returning it over and over....this is a common story with others feeling ripped off
additionally there is more chance of the complete line being a lemon when your not making the gun and you contract out the manufacture to some offshore factory and slap your Good name on it ..
kinda duping the public, no?

I gave mine to the kid next door that fell in love with it ....I will let him do the dance with Mossberg service and repair....if he lucks out he gets a gun for shipping costs....however many times that maybe :roll:

screw mossberg and this piss poor customer service and quality control my money is too hard to come by ...going to buy a Colt :mrgreen:

Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

rjpoog1989 said:
That being said the Internet is full of people bitching about every little thing and it's hard to trust more n half of what you read...
Fact.

There are a lot of Internet keyboard cowboys who know EVERY thing.

I lot of what I hear issues about makes me question their general practices.

I don't think a lot of people fully tear down the firearm and do a thorough cleaning/inspection of all the parts.

I know this shouldn't be necessary, but that packing grease collects gunpowder pretty quick and jams stuff up.

As for the mags. I have 6 25 round magazines, and have not had a single loading issue. At first it is impossible to load 25 with your fingers. You have to use the loading tool after the first 10-15 until the springs get worked in.

As far as customer support, it is horrendous, plain and simple. There shouldn't be a single horror story as far as C/S is concerned.

update to the out of the box jamomatic

I did buy a colt .....this just wasnt the quality gun for me, After I ran a few rounds thru the colt I cooled off and started working on the mossberg tact 22 for the kid next door, I wasnt going to throw more cash at it by shipping it to Mossberg,

The major weak point in the gun is the 25rd mags, I found a metal bur under the mags top feed lips causing the cartirdge to catch & the front set of the mag feed lips was spread a little to far apart allowing the round to point upwards to soon and causing the stove pipes every second or third round, although the gun was now operating better it still jammbed periodically maybe 1 per mag....I still had problems loading the full mag, despite leaving it fully loaded a few days to weaken the springs,

I decided to buy another mag, since I had made such a drastic difference in the cycling THE NEW MAG RAN PERFECT, I also realized that the feed ramp on these is a little to low and causing feed jams if one uses hollow points with that flat edge on the nose...this was causing jams and shearing off shards of lead into the reciever and the polymere reciever housing...... :roll:
so I switched to winchester pointed nosed and CCI mini mags and the mag cycled perfectly
the brand new replacement mag ran flawlessly out of the box with both pointed and flat nosed bullets, however the flat nosed hollow points will still hang say 1 in 100 rounds
I bought a second replacement mag since the first replacement solved the majority of the jams, but this second mag also wouldnt load more then 11 rounds without crushing shells, IT TOO WAS A JAMOMATIC every second or third round a stove pipe.... I returned it for exchange, and the replacement mag ran flawless again...THE MAGS ARE THE WEAKEST LINK

with all the jams I also noticed a 2 tone color to the feed ramp, its been painted! and the jams have chipped the paint, well this is an obvious feeding issue, then I found that acetone removes the paint :eek: so its not a baked on cured finish....I removed the chipped paint off the feedramp & I gun-koted the guns exterior then baked it. barrel & reciever are now chemically impervious. :roll:

the plastic Iron sights are horrendous, the foregrips/frnt sights clamp to the barrel with 6 tiny screws so the foregrips/frnt sights can twist on the barrel with very little pressure which caused a wild 10" grouping, I tore it back down again & used rubber tape to shim up the barrel, this now clamps down tight on the barrel and greatly reduces the front sight movement and the gun now shoots dead straight , Im dancing milk jugs at 130 yards now. INDEX YOUR BARREL TO THE FORGRIPS once you are satisfied....its going to change the sights each time you tear down to clean your gun, this bugged me and I have a cheapo NC Star 3 power sight I dont use so I installed it on the gun for the kid so he would not get too discouraged if he knocks the iron sights out of whack
I also felt the front sight was too big, with long shots the target is so small I cant see the bullseye, so I filed down both sides of the front sight till it was 1/2 the thickness it was and now have far better bullseye aquisition
the picatinny mounting plate thats mounts in the handel is off, I couldnt get the sights down low enough to use them, I had to shim the scope, & its not the scope, it works fine on my other guns.

after all this work, Im looking at it thinking, it STILL LOOKS LIKE A TOY, so I tore it apart 1 more time and painted it for the kid , robbed a couple goodies off other guns I have and he now has a sporty looking 22 thats a tack driver @ 100yds, & I have a new shooting buddy :mrgreen: you never saw a 14yr old kid so happy

All that being said I feel Mossberg has made a tremendous error in contracting this manufacturer, a single model can destroy the rep of an entire company.....look at Century Arms and thier AK-47 WASR10...people actually hate Century Arms and they never have owned one of thier weapons

If your willing to spend 1/2 a day tuneing up this plinkster, then its a straight shooter, & cheap enough to have fun BUT BUY THE NON HANDEL MODEL....you can still buy a picatinny mount AR handel in aluminum if you must have the handel and you eliminate the phony iron sights this gun has

Attachments

• mossberg22.jpg
    mossberg22.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,116

GypsmJim said:
ripjack13 said:

Actually, I just DID come back. Curious if others had made more posts to my thread.

Since I dumped the Tact22 I had no follow-up from Mossberg. So, I guess they aren't interested in keeping a customer happy. Ny S&W M&P is an awesome gun. So far I have put about 1500 down the tube and have not had one single hiccup. Even my wife says its sweet.

I recently got a 1950's Mossberg bolt rifle at a garage sale and although its quite rusty on the outside its a tack driver. As I said in post #1 they used to be my favorite.

Bought my wife a handgun for her birthday from the local gun shop. While we were waiting for the paperwork to be finished another guy came in and wanted to buy a Tact22. I just stood there and listened without commenting. The dealer had one, but talked him into a M&P instead. His comments were poor accuracy.

That's because these guns are all about poor accuracy. We bought one on a whim and it's a pile of junk. Throws lead all over the target at 25 yards. I know it's not me as I can take my Stag or Black Spectre ARs and shoot the clothes pins off the target at 200 yards.

These are junk. If you want an AR style rifle....buy a real one.

Shooting clothes pins at 200 yards is some pretty fancy shooting.

That's because these guns are all about poor accuracy. We bought one on a whim and it's a pile of junk. Throws lead all over the target at 25 yards. I know it's not me as I can take my Stag or Black Spectre ARs and shoot the clothes pins off the target at 200 yards.

try shimming your barrel with rubber tape strips or "Orings" to prevent the foregaurd and sights from twisting on the barrel....they do have issues NO DOUBT but they do shoot straight

I dont know about clothes pins at 200 yds :roll:

michaelb said:

try shimming your barrel with rubber tape strips or "Orings" to prevent the foregaurd and sights from twisting on the barrel....they do have issues NO DOUBT but they do shoot straight

I dont know about clothes pins at 200 yds :roll:

Perhaps we should meet up at a range. I can shoot.

Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

I'd love to see clothes pins at 200. Even with a bolt gun.

Both of mine shoot straight. All 25 rounds in to a head sized target at 100. Good enough for me :)

I thought we were talking about the accuracy of a mossberg tact 22lr , isnt that what your bitchin about?

"Black Spectre AR" your talking apples and oranges? :roll: hell I can hit anything with the right equipment but what can you do with a mossberg tact 22lr

Im dancing milk jugs @ 150yds with a 5"-6" pattern 's with the kid next door's mossberg,
Id be hard pressed to hit clothes pins with any 22 at that range, the gun is accurate,

the gun is cheaply made I give you that, they primarilly need to work out the mag & loose sight issues

these are CLEARLY beginner plinker fun guns & are already as accurate as one should expect for a 22lr & for what you paid .....clothes pins at 200 yds with a mossberg tact 22, I think you need to be more realistic

give your mossberg a tuneup and see what you can hit then

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Is this for real turnin into an arguement over who can shoot what with what equipment or am I readin this wrong?

If I'm wrong, let me know, But sounds to me TexasOutlaw was sayin very much the same thing as GypsmJim in his post about bein able to shoot other rifles which were tack drivers at range, but not so much with the Tac .22 which has significant issues, maybe not the receiver or barrel so much as the plastic stuff its wrapped in. Whatever.

All I'm questioning here is the tone and askin yall to keep the debate on point and relevant to the OP minus the tone of a nasty disposition. Again, unless I'm mistaken in which case I'll apologize and be corrected.

Actually if you spend a little time on a good cleaning with this gun and stop the front sights from twisting shim. As described in above posts its not that bad my12 year old daughter can hit the ends of Pepsi cans at 100 yards I am pretty sure a lot of accuracy problems can be corrected with a o ring and a little tape also take care how you put the recoil buffer in get it right.

Back