• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sighting of scope ?

Gunowner99 said:

Ok. I'm not familiar with that scope, but did a little research. It's not a first focal plane scope. Which means that when you change power with it, it will affect focus and mil-dot ranging, and it may be the reason for your issue. As long as you know this, you can adjust accordingly, although it's not the best setup. Some of the reviews I read also were not complimentary about the glass, especially at higher magnifications. Here's what I would do initially to try and help with your particular issue.

Set your power at somewhere around 6x-10x and don't change it. Adjust your focus ring to get a good focus at your normal range and hold in the prone position. If you still have the black ring you mentioned you can either move the scope forward or back on the mount if possible, or change your cheek weld. If you must loosen the scope rings themselves, make sure you don't rotate the scope in the rings - might want to make a small index mark on the tube and ring first.

Next, I'd recommend watching the Sniper 101 video's dealing with scopes. There's 4 or 5 of them, 40 minutes or so each, and very detailed concerning the mechanics of scopes and everything else connected with them. He's talking about Extreme Range shooting in these, but much of what he talks about pertains across the board. https://archive.org/details/SNIPER101 . The other videos are also well worth watching.

Lastly, it may be a mechanical issue with your scope, so you may be able to exchange it where you bought it if necessary.

Back