• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Simple Green

Simple green is a household cleaner available in most big box and grocery stores. It`s cheap, safe, and rather pleasant to use. It comes in a handy spray bottle.

I cleaned a ``new`` Yugo SKS covered in cosmoline with this product. I used it on both the wood and metal, although because it is water-based I probably wouldn`t use it on finer wood on some other guns. The Yugo stock needed several cleanings but finally came out OK. Squirt it on, wipe it off to remove the gunk, rinse with water, and then dry and oil. Bye-bye toxic, flammable, expensive cleaners!

The last time I cleaned a new synthetic Mossberg 500 of factory packing grease I also used Simple Green, desert style:

Open action/remove barrel
Squirt all over with Simple Green
Set in sun for 10 minutes
Rinse with garden hose
Dry everything with soft towel and clean bore with patches until dry
Field strip, dry with towel some more and set in sun for an hour
Inspect and oil. Some tiny surface rust on bolt that went away with oil

Worked for me, you mileage may very

Plan B for people who don`t live in a hot dry climate would be to experiment with a heat gun or an oven set to below 200 degrees. Might not hurt the plastic parts, but I would be afraid to heat them. Down site risk on all of this would be if you failed to get the bolt assembly completely dry. I also wouldn`t do this with pretty wood--the stock could be removed.

I have used simple green on just about everything but my firearms, I will have to give it a try next time I get a new one.

Back