• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling recomendations?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what everyone is using for a sling for their shotgun. Any brands to consider or keep away from? Anything to look for in a sling that I might not be thinking about or considering when looking at them?
Thanks
Joel

What are your goals with getting a sling? Are you looking for one to use to carry your shotgun with, "tactical" or are you looking for a more functional sling. I personally like 1.25" slings instead of 1" for shotguns due to the weight but it is something to keep in mind while looking.

You can get a good inexpensive sling just to carry a gun. Some slings can be used to help you shoot too. If this is for an HD gun, maybe just something like a USGI web sling, something simple and light weight. If its for competition, you may want something sturdier, like Dan mentioned, in 1 1/4".

Do you want leather, cotton, or ballistic nylon/cordura? I make leather slings, and make M1907 styled slings. I dont try to make reproductions, I make them heavier, and 1.25" wide. I have a video on here using mine with a shotgun, my 590A1. Here are a couple links on here;

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=624

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=521

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=518

There are lots of options out there, so #1, how are you goin to use it? and #2, what kind of material?

hi Guys

I would say I am looking for either black or Mil green in cotton or duracord. Mainly for the ability to carry gun. I like the sling Brad made with the extra shell holder on the stock. Im a left hand shooter tho. WISH they made the 930 for freaks like me. lol

It isn't something I need now, but come this spring I would like to have figured out what I like best.
Thanks for the video links also Brad.

Joel

Joel, youre welcome, and no problem!

There are many really good options for what youre needing! Dan I think has one from Gear Sector, and I'm pretty sure m24shooter does too. Even the GI green cotton web slings would work!

I've run several. Gear Sectors are great: you won't get better service or materials and they are priced very well. They have innovative designs and work great. Jason is a lefty and builds his slings to work with lefties. He has a 9200, which was the forerunner to the 930. I like the ASP, GS2P and GS3P.
OSOE makes some good slings as well. If you want the added flexibility of a bungee they do very well. Very sturdy with excellent materials and stitching.
Both of the above use 1" tubular webbing so that they are comfortable as weight bearing slings even with a t-shirt. The 1" web also means you can route it over and around gear and it will slide more easily.
VTAC slings are good. Wide sling if you like that.
A standard GI carry strap is hard to beat for a lot of people.
I haven't used one of Rossignol's slings, but they look well-made.
Those are about the only slings that I would recommend.

spxrailleft-1.jpg

100_2644.jpg

100_2624.jpg

100_1210.jpg

590a1.jpg

930spxnobwm.jpg

930spx_edited-1.jpg

Finding the right sling.

Hi guys I need help finding a stock. I'm looking for a synthetic fabric like Nylon. I'm looking for either a 1 inch wide of 1.25 inches. This will be used for walking in the deep woods incase I run into a bear or something of that nature as well as other things. I would kind of like to have a tactical sling. The thing is I have the 2 screw in mounts on the gun, the one on the butt of the rifle, and the other on the end of the magazine tube. So I'm looking for a sling that will be compatible with that, OR if I need to buy a sling swivel set that's under 30 bucks I would gladly do that if it was a really good sling. There are just so many threads on here to go through so I thought I would just post a new one. If anyone has any ideas on the sling swivels and a sling I would really appreciate some input, also if you have one in mind if you could please post a link to it, and the sling swivels that it needs to get on the 590. I really appreciate any input you guys can provide!

DerBarbarian,
I merged your post into this thread as theyre nearly identical in nature. There are actually a couple more I could merge I suppose... but this should be a good place to start! :D

Take a look and see if you find anything you like, if so we can advise from there on swivels n stuff. Cool? ;)

Oh Thanks Rossi, I totally forgot I posted about this a LONG LONG time ago.. I'm still looking for a sling.. I'm trying to get recommendations on the combined sling and swivel set since that's alot easier than guessing and hoping that they are compatible. Sorry again about having multiple threads.

My hunting gun is the only one that I have a sling on.
I went with a single point. It allows me to easily carry the gun while hiking up the Mountain/Hills that is my clubs property.
It allows for extremely fast carry to mounted positioning of my shotgun for flushed Pheasants.

Just some food for thought.
Good luck in your search!

I use a single point for bird hunting too! ;)

I would say if you see something you like, you can google the sling forthe width and buy swivels accordingly... I'll be able to put more time into helpin when I get home though! ;)

Alrighty...

Take a look at this Specter Gear as another example;
Specter Gear Sling

The Specter Gear is very similar to a couple of the Gear Sector slings M24 posted. These dont require sling swivels. In my particular case, I ordered the Specter Gear sling specifically for one of my 500's. It included a front sling plate that mounts to the end of the magazine tube and is held in place by the lug. The same can be done with a 590/590A1 where a sling plate adapter will be included.

Most slings are either 1" or 1 1/4". Like M24 mentioned, a GI web sling is hard to beat. Theyre simple, inexpensive, and effective.

I'll have to look at the one you specifically mentioned to see what it requires and then I'll get back to this! ;)

EDIT:

The pic you linked looks like a nylon GI sling. Theyre most commonly 1" wide and swivels can be purchased from just about anywhere, like Brownells, Midway USA, possibly Optics Planet, Palmetto State Armory, and Cheaper Than Dirt. I know Brownells caries them for sure, but you may be able to find them locally at like a WalMart even or a local gun shop.

Water Monkey,

That is one of the Gear Sector slings I believe!

No prob.
The front sling point is a Wilson 870/1187 sling plate. There is also an extension piece available for about 8" of additional length and several accessory stubs for various attachment types.

Back