• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slug price and performance?

Paul930

Copper BB
Hi all,

Just curious if there is a difference besides price in the cheaper ammo let say rio royal slug vs remington slug? Just didnt know if it was like using wolf (very dirty) vs remington brass (much cleaner) and if it worth saving a few bucks? Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thank you.

not much in the big picture

little different components from Europe, no factor unless you reload

Powder might be a little dirty, no factor if you do maintenance

Rio and Remington Sluggers are both going to be a soft bare lead projectile, they may differ in design.

I find Rio slugs every bit as accurate as any domestic slug I've shot.

that's for target shooting

If your talking hunting and performance in killing then you could probably break out a chronograph, do some sort of penetration/fragmentation testing and find a better round than the next on paper
it is hard to go into precise ballistic technology when it comes to slug, there are some honest things that work and there are some gimmicks
When it comes to foster style slugs I dont really look too hard for technology, its huge and heavy and thats what they have going for them
Brenneke style slugs use a different technology that separates them from Fosters
Sabots are a different technology yet again and I think projectile technology really comes into play a lot more than with slugs like Fosters , sabots can be pretty specialized

Last edited:
You want the best information and opinion>>>> whatever oli700 says is worth believing.

I'll add that for general practice and training at closer ranges <40-yards I am happy to do it with lower priced stuff.

When it really counts, the Federal Tru-Ball slug isn't more lethal because it is just the same soft lead Foster slug; but it is a LOT more accurate due to its internal wad column design and the way it exits the gun. Brenneke slugs (as oli700 mentioned) are a whole 'nutter world of killing capacity if you study their product line.

Good luck, and practice with the readily available stuff you can find. It'll do well.

Y
When it really counts, the Federal Tru-Ball slug isn't more lethal because it is just the same soft lead Foster slug; but it is a LOT more accurate due to its internal wad column design and the way it exits the gun. Brenneke slugs (as oli700 mentioned) are a whole 'nutter world of killing capacity if you study their product line.

Good luck, and practice with the readily available stuff you can find. It'll do well.
there you go Paul

I might have good advice for a range toy or hunting gun but Nite gives you advice from someone who takes their weapons and ammo into harms way, for real.

its nice to have all the gear but its all range toy till you make a living doing it

For the close ranges I use them +/- 30 yards a smoothbore & inexpensive Remington slugger/breneke/Winchester type are fine. My scoped rifled bbl and 3$+ a piece ammo collects dust. For more serious or longer range hunting I am very fond of everything Dixie slugs makes, especially the triballs & tornado slugs, (more $ but you certainly get what you pay for). James Gates customer service is hands down the best I've ever had. To get the best performance from a rifled bbl you really need to use a sabot IMO.

Back