• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slugs are like Kicking Mules !!

...I can only speculate -but I would think a 12 ga. slug on a pistol grip would hurt ........

I also bought some Federal Vital-shock 2-3/4" Magnum 00 buck, which carries 12 pellets.

I thought the magnums were all 3" shells.

Anyhow, my 500 says 2-3/4" on the barrel, but says nothing about magnums.

Is this just some marketing ploy, or are these real magnums that I should avoid shooting from my Moss 500?
20161202_173100.jpg

Last edited:
It is my understanding that "magnum" in shotshells means increased payload, unlike pistol and rifle ammo where it means increased powder.

Is this just some marketing ploy, or are these real magnums that I should avoid shooting from my Moss 500?
View attachment 13796

If it fits your models chamber, you can shoot it. There are some exceptions to that rule, like no slugs through the overboard barrels and and some other things with choke tubes, but in a 500 cylinder bore fixed choke gun you can safely shoot it. You'll probably feel it a little more because of the increase in the weight of the shot.

It is my understanding that "magnum" in shotshells means increased payload, unlike pistol and rifle ammo where it means increased powder.

Thanks. I simply hadn't a clue about that.

If it fits your models chamber, you can shoot it . . . You'll probably feel it a little more because of the increase in the weight of the shot.

Based on what I've shot so far I don't expect it to be a problem.

I don't think it hurts the hand as much as the shoulder because the arm is a much better shock absorber than the shoulder.

I'll get to test that theory tomorrow with the magnums and some deer slugs.

...I can only speculate -but I would think a 12 ga. slug on a pistol grip would hurt ........
The key to slug shooting is getting very solid shoulder-pocket placement with the stock (a Limbsaver or Kick-Eez pad doesn't hurt). Along with that, a PG forms a very solid triangle that allows some downward-pull in recoil. Generally, most folks can get a good pocket, with practice, and maybe a couple of pointers. My suspicion is that if you're a large-framed guy, you may not have been forced to get that placement down until stepping up to a load that overcomes what you can easily absorb with your arms, i.e., you may be doing a bicep/forearm flex more than pulling into your shoulder.

The hand is OK today, but it was sore yesterday after shooting those slugs.

I blab on about it all in the Range Report room.

But the 500 is getting broken in.

Push forward on the forend while pulling back on the pistol grip, lean into it and put weight on your front foot and let 'er rip. It ain't bad at all.

NEVER EVER shoot 3" slugs from a bench.

Brenneke makes some of the hardest recoiling ammo on earth. But worth it.

The key to slug shooting is getting very solid shoulder-pocket placement with the stock (a Limbsaver or Kick-Eez pad doesn't hurt). Along with that, a PG forms a very solid triangle that allows some downward-pull in recoil. Generally, most folks can get a good pocket, with practice, and maybe a couple of pointers. My suspicion is that if you're a large-framed guy, you may not have been forced to get that placement down until stepping up to a load that overcomes what you can easily absorb with your arms, i.e., you may be doing a bicep/forearm flex more than pulling into your shoulder.

Rob ,
that is some dang good advice ....., Thank You

Push forward on the forend while pulling back on the pistol grip, lean into it and put weight on your front foot and let 'er rip. It ain't bad at all.

NEVER EVER shoot 3" slugs from a bench.
Lefty, that's the part I forgot! ;) Hope it helps!

Yes ! After physical shooting , I believe you nailed it !!

Yes ! After physical shooting , I believe you nailed it !!
Good deal! If you're pretty sure you're getting a good "pocket", if you still have significant discomfort from less than a dozen or so slugs, it would be worth finding a local shotty instructor, or someone who's done a good bit of 3-gun, to help you refine your technique.:)

Not all slugs kick. Low recoil or "managed recoil" slugs are quite pleasant to shoot. I make them all the time for my deer hunting buddies using the cheap federal bulk pack hulls.

Penetration is excellent too.

I have my 16 ga back together and I think I may set up to reload some shells just for this gun.

Shotshells and slugs, in low recoil formulas sounds like fun.

I have a shotgun loading manual if you want me to scan some of the recipe pages for 16 ga for you, let me know.

Thanks John. I expect to be shopping for reloading gear soon.
What's your favorite powder for doing the low-recoil slugs?

Titegroup works well in low brass.

Longshot works well in high brass.

Longshot is a little dirty, but typical for a little residue left in the barrel after shooting and hunting.

You may also want to look into clays, international clays, and titewad if you can find them. Those are among some of the other powders that is pretty popular with shotgun reloaders.

Also, Remington makes the best hulls for reloading too. Federal and Winchester are alright, but the Remington STS are among the cheapest factory loads you can get in my area, and then after you get to shoot them, you can reload the hulls upwards of 10 times a piece or more if you're loading them light. Best $7 or $8 you can spend for reloading shotgun. And I like the STS hulls because they're a smooth sided hull and eject easy too.

Anyway, here is some load data from the powder manufacturer itself. Tells you which wad, powder, etc combination too.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Also, the MEC brand loader is more expensive, but I am using the Lee Load-all 2. It's made of plastic, but has worked well and they also have conversion units from 12, 16, and 20 gauge shells, which makes it pretty useful.

I was looking at the $70 Lee online, but I may hold out for a cast iron press. I didn't realise it was plastic. I thought it was diecast aluminum alloy.
Is the Lee the only convertible type press?

Back