• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slugs are like Kicking Mules !!

Mec.

But you're going to pay out the nose for one.

Over the years I have realize that length of pull has a lot with recoil. Length of pull is measured from your thevsrcond knuckle crease of your bent trigger finger to the crease of your bent elbow. M I NE ends up being 13 1/4. Know all my rifles / shot guns are measure from bend in trigger to end of stock for that measurement. Shot gun add a limb saver take that into account with your measurement. Next shotgun technique is not to hold in bladed stance. This method of shouldering your firearm insures your shoulder alone will accept the recoil and leaves you no support. Instead use a type of combat stance. Square up to target place shotgun firmly in the pocket of your shoulder, pull it in snuggle slight bend at the knees and lean forward slightly. This allows your whole to ros to absorb recoil. Length of pull allows you to hold shotgun or rilfe snug. Next I have also relied that the low recoil slugs do just as good as the rest for most purposes needed. Hope this helps

The key to slug shooting is getting very solid shoulder-pocket placement with the stock (a Limbsaver or Kick-Eez pad doesn't hurt). Along with that, a PG forms a very solid triangle that allows some downward-pull in recoil. Generally, most folks can get a good pocket, with practice, and maybe a couple of pointers. My suspicion is that if you're a large-framed guy, you may not have been forced to get that placement down until stepping up to a load that overcomes what you can easily absorb with your arms, i.e., you may be doing a bicep/forearm flex more than pulling into your shoulder.
I agree but proper length of pull helps tremendously.

I sure do get a "kick" out of all you folks posting help !
I am now measuring L.O.P and plan to modify my stocks accordingly . I am also watching the many videos on Utube about proper stance, hold, grip, sightline, pads,pitch,etc., etc.
My wife was thrilled with her Weatherby 20 ga. SA-08 . She shot 150 rounds and said it kicked like a kitten batting her holding a cotton ball .

Back