• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Smart home device ends dispute by calling 911

Scoop

.30-06
Smart home device reportedly ends violent dispute by calling 911
Police in New Mexico claim a smart device may have saved a woman’s life when it called local authorities during an alleged assault.
Eduardo Barros, 28, was arrested on July 2 after a standoff with a SWAT team at a home near Albuquerque, New Mexico, according to Deputy Felicia Romero, a spokesperson at Bernalillo County. Authorities say Barros got angry at his girlfriend after she received a text message. He accused her of cheating on him and began hitting and kicking her, then got his gun and threatened to kill her.

Barros then asked, “Did you call the sheriff?” This, according to the police statement, woke an unnamed smart device, which misinterpreted his question as a command and called 911.
“The unexpected use of this new technology to contact emergency services has possibly helped save a life. This amazing technology definitely helped save a mother and her child from a very violent situation,” Bernalillo County Sheriff Manuel Gonzales III said in a statement to ABC News.

Barros is facing 14 charges, including false imprisonment, aggravated battery against a household member, and possession of a firearm by a felon.

The Daily Dot

images

Nest--- Call the sheriff and order a mushroom and sausage pizza.

Oh Snap !

That's all I need.

Be having a conversation about the librarian with my wife, and I get picked up because of an over-due book.

HA HA HA.

Glad it saved this womans life but I still refuse to have such smart technology in my home. I will not even use a voice remote for the TV and turn off all voice commands on my phone.

If you want to voluntarkly have your house bugged be my guest, I do not wish to partake. I'm really tired of handing over my privicy and freedom for the sake of a little convenience.

All of a sudden, with the last update, my phone continually turns on location services despite my turning it off. I will occasionally see it flash on and back off again, sometimes it stays on. I have turned it off in avery app I have installed yet it keeps activating itself.

Big brother is already to invasive in our lives.

Slowly but surely getting dragged into more technology at my house...

1st...bought my wife ECHO...a smart home device. You can name it whatever you want and ask it stuff like the time, weather, play a tune, etc...OK, simple.

Then...bought my wife the Ring Doorbell Camera Setup...nice features...gives you two extra cameras besides the doorbell...so you can greet and see people at your front door...and/or scare away...potential criminals...package stealers...etc, with the speaker and extra cameras covering the exterior of the house.

Now...got the Ring Motion Sensor Floodlight Speaker Alarm Package that really has upped the security at the homestead. Camera is activated when Motion Sensor Flood Lights are tripped...warning sent to smart phones...you can tell the intruder to "Get Off My Lawn" ...sound an alarm...and of course the video is catching the perp's face and description.

All self monitored...without the expense of ADT and other such services...

Pretty cool and simple to install / use.

Now...got the Ring Motion Sensor Floodlight Speaker Alarm Package that really has upped the security at the homestead. Camera is activated when Motion Sensor Flood Lights are tripped...warning sent to smart phones...you can tell the intruder to "Get Off My Lawn" ...sound an alarm...and of course the video is catching the perp's face and description

I like the ring technology, I would easily incorporate that into my security system but I want one feature added, the ability to activate the camera remotely without having the motion sensor activated. A coworker has one of these and I have seen it in action, pretty cool.

I'm all for technology that I can control to monitor the outside, I an very against technology that spy's on me in my own home.

Back