1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Snake Ammo for 410 Shockwave

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by QB Too, Nov 30, 2019 at 9:11 PM.

1. QB Too

QB Too .22LR

I'm a Mossberg owner again after many years. Just purchased a 410 Shockwave for the sole purpose of shooting poisonous snakes (if necessary) while on my sister's property. I chose the 410 due to my joint issues from arthritis, osteo, degenerative disc disease (you name it). I can certainly shoot a 12 or 20 gauge but it plays havoc on my poor old joints. And I think a 410 will certainly blast a snake. I should have my Shockwave in a couple of weeks.

I've read up on ammo for snakes and recommendations range from #9 (or #12 if it could be found) all the way to #4 and #6. The type of poisonous snakes they have are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes and cottonmouth.

If anyone with a Shockwave 410 uses it for killing snakes, what is the best ammo to purchase? A variety of #9, #4 and #6 or all #8 or what? I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. I would be shooting the snake certainly within 5-7 yards in all probability.

Any brands of 410 ga to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
    meanstreak likes this.
  2. dogfoot

dogfoot .410

Hey QB,
    Check out the picture I posted under the Ammunition section : “Shot Size Picture” That should give you a starting place.

Dog
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Just about any size smaller than a 6 shot will do just fine.

I would prefer 8 1/2 or even 9 shot. (more small pellets).
    meanstreak likes this.
  4. QB Too

QB Too .22LR

Thank, I'll pick up several sizes (7 through 9) and see what I like.
    meanstreak likes this.
  5. QB Too

QB Too .22LR

Thanks for the ammo chart picture, helped me a lot.
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. pepi

pepi .410

Strange ... All the years of hiking in the West, East and South I've never had a connection with any snakes
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. QB Too

QB Too .22LR

Yep, there is something about the subdivision where they live (Rockdale, TX)...everyone kills venomous snakes in their yard every year. It's a subdivision out in the country with pastureland surrounding it. I think the snakes come to the house for water and possible pet food. I haven't been to my sister's house for over a year, it's just too creepy that the snakes come right up to the house/porches. Their dogs get bitten but the "humans' haven't yet although it's only a matter of time I think. I'm actually not sure there have been any water mocs, but for sure copperheads, rattlesnakes and coral snakes.
    meanstreak likes this.
  8. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

I wonder if 45 Long Colt shot cartridges would work in the SW? LINK
  9. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .30-06 Supporter

For crawling snakes I would go with Federal`s #6 or #7 in 3 inch.....For two legged snakes I would step up to 000 buck.
  10. QB Too

QB Too .22LR

I ordered some #7 1/2, #8 and #9 but all in the 2 1/2 shells. I'll add some 3" shells in #6 and #7. I don't plan on using this for any two legged snakes but if that changes I'll pick up some 000 buck.

Thanks all.............
    John A. likes this.