• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Solar/hand crank radio

The weak link on these are the batteries. Good for a year or 2, under optimum conditions.

These things were heavily promoted for remote areas without electricity a few years ago and the problem was getting replacement batteries in remote tribal areas in Africa and 3rdworld countries. The promoters failed to follow up on it, and most have ended up being ditched. Hi-tech doesn't work well in low tech areas because the infrastructure just isn't there to support it.

That doesn't look like a bad unit, but I can't find out how much AC it puts out. Being a USB out, probably less than 6v, but probably enough to charge a few 1.5v batteries via one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Everyday- ... B003D7LHK4

I wonder if someone could rig a usb to something larger like C or D or 6v lantern? Hmmmm

I found that one surfing the survivalist websites out there. It seems to get overall good marks but I will look into battery life and output closer. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Mike
I read this thread and immediately went and retrieved my Eton hand crank emergency radio. My girlfriend gave it to me about ten years ago. It was marketed through LL Bean. I still see similar units once in a while. I cranked it for about two minutes. It fired right up with the internal rechargeable's. I have used it to listen to once in a blue moon. It is a Pain in the A to crank every half an hour, but in the absence of regular electricity, it was great. I would trust the Eton name again. The solar option is a labor saver, you do nothing put put the solar collector out. Mine isn't that one.

Good luck.

I have taken a couple of those radios apart and it usually isn't even batteries in the but rather a capacitor or two so not much power storage capacity to begin with not sure about the ones with the solar panel they might have actual batteries in them

As for charging batteries off them via the usb port you have to remember that usb usually only puts out 5v and very low amps so any standard bat you are charging would be a very slow charge

tazzy695 said:
I have taken a couple of those radios apart and it usually isn't even batteries in the but rather a capacitor or two so not much power storage capacity to begin with not sure about the ones with the solar panel they might have actual batteries in them

As for charging batteries off them via the usb port you have to remember that usb usually only puts out 5v and very low amps so any standard bat you are charging would be a very slow charge
AND once the grid is down the USB option is toast!!

Short term there are some options for USB charging of some devices. Especially hooked to laptops, etc.

Many (newer) DC/AC inverters also have a USB out that you can use. My little Cobra 800W inverter does and I have also seen a few inexpensive solar panels for car battery trickle chargers that also have a dedicated usb out.

But long term, USB probably won't make the cut if you don't have a way to keep the batteries charged that provide power to the USB's to begin with.

daytime dave said:
MikeI read this thread and immediately went and retrieved my Eton hand crank emergency radio. My girlfriend gave it to me about ten years ago. It was marketed through LL Bean. I still see similar units once in a while. I cranked it for about two minutes. It fired right up with the internal rechargeable's.

Awesome Dave! Thanks for that vote of confidence.

Thanks guys for all of the information! I'm still digesting it.

John A. said:
I wonder if someone could rig a usb to something larger like C or D or 6v lantern? Hmmmm

Can be done quite easily. ;)

Attachments

• usb_pinouts.jpg
    usb_pinouts.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 503
Thanks for that Mike. I like knowing which contact does what.

And now I do. :cool:

Looks like that would charge two AAA, AA, C, or D.

The 6 or 9 volt lantern battery is out, but at least this will work with some others in a pinch.

Yeah, it's the McGyver in me :lol:

John A. said:
The 6 or 9 volt lantern battery is out, but at least this will work with some others in a pinch.

Yeah, it's the McGyver in me :lol:

You could probably pop a diode, resister or some combination in there and reduce the voltage close to what you are looking for. You would have to play with it because the voltage drop will be dependent on the current. It may need to be tuned to the specific object you are powering.

It all depends on how complicated you want to make it.

Radio Shack has a decent one (or so it looks). Good reviews except for the dim-wits that complained it didn't come with an AC adapter. Umm, it is an emergency radio not an all day, every day radio...

Thanks for the link. Looking at online reviews, they don't match the reviews in the link. While the Scorpion comes out on top the customer reviews are far less impressive.

The FRX3 appears to be a bit better but takes more cranking than the Scorpion. I guess it is all hit or miss when it comes to these gizmos...still, I might pick one up...

Thanks for taking it the next step OA. I didn't get to look into any of much beyond reading the review in the link. I try to be careful of anything online like the ranking or reviews but use them for ideas to look further.

This one looks promising and it's not on the list in the link.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/emergencyradio.html
I like that it has short wave 1 and 2.

carbinemike said:
Thanks for taking it the next step OA. I didn't get to look into any of much beyond reading the review in the link. I try to be careful of anything online like the ranking or reviews but use them for ideas to look further.

This one looks promising and it's not on the list in the link.
http://www.hamuniverse.com/emergencyradio.html
I like that it has short wave 1 and 2.

Short wave is a real nice addition. I have a standard radio with SW as well as the old analog tv freqs. Works quite well.

That one has good features. If I needed another one, I would look for one of those. The solar feature being my chief reason.

Back