• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Soon to be 930 owner

Hi,
I'm new to mossberg shotguns. I really don't have a whole bunch of experience with shotguns in general. I'm looking to buy a 930 used. I've found one locally with the door breaching barrel and another (SPX model) online that I'm interested in. I prefer the sights on the SPX more. With that being said I've read on here that a lot of front sights are canted. Assuming everything visually checks out good, what would you do besides disassembling and cleaning them when you get home? The actions seem a little rough, does anyone here recommend polishing vital parts to enhance operation? I'll primarily be using it to different tasks (Home defense, target shooting, hunting). I also plan on buying a 28" hunting barrel for bird hunting. Are barrel swaps pretty easy, yet remaining reliable? Thanks for your help.

I would recommend just giving it a good cleaning to clear up the rough action. Shouldn't need anything other than that. If you're concerned there's something actually mechanically wrong with it, make sure the owner checks it out first before you buy it.
As for the barrel, it literally takes about 10 seconds to change the barrel, with no affect on reliability. Just make sure the barrel is fully seated and the nut is tightened until it doesn't click anymore.
Whenever you clean it make sure you clean the gas system very well, clean the bolt, concentrating on worn areas, and apply lube. I recommend using Frog Lube. I love the stuff.

I ended up buying the tactical model, with the door breaching barrel. The guy with the auction acted like he didn't understand english and refused to respond to my question after the first email. The action is actually as smooth as butter. I took it all apart and cleaned it as well as inspected it. I don't have frog lube, so I used what I had on hand. I disassembled the whole shotgun pretty much. Sprayed the bolt assembly, gas piston and receiver out with brake parts cleaner.I greased and oiled the bolt assembly and inside of the receiver without using too much. I sprayed a Teflon spray on the gas piston and magazine and wiped it down to dry it up. Also cleaned the barrel. Also, Thanks for the help Scott B!

I really recommend picking up some Frog Lube. It's a little pricier (about $10 for 4oz of the paste) but it's absolutely worth it. Cleans great and you just wipe it off and no wet lube remains. Unless you're shooting a lot, then I recommend using some sort of wet oil lube.
Anyhow, also, clean out your magazine and buffer tubes. Inspect the springs as well as the buffer itself and magazine follower. Can't hurt.

The magazine spring is kinked so I ended up putting that end in the extension. I don't think it will hamper feeding on that end.
I've been wanting to try frog lube for my ar15, and now this, so I'll have to pick up some.

You won't be disappointed in the Frog Lube. It's worth every penny and a little goes a long way...

The magazine spring is kinked so I ended up putting that end in the extension. I don't think it will hamper feeding on that end.
I've been wanting to try frog lube for my ar15, and now this, so I'll have to pick up some.

Make sure to follow the recommended steps for applying Froglube. If you so not know the steps, it will help to call Froglube to get the application instructions. I went by what was on the bottle and had varying success. I called for an explanation and received VERY helpful steps. In short, the spray is low viscosity and the paste is high viscosity per the customer service guy I spoke to. Each have there own unique application steps (Again, per the CS guy I spoke to). I use the spray on my 930 and the paste on my M&P15 MOE OR.

Back