1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Source of 5-40 plug screw for front bead?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 930 Autoloader' started by Old_School, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Old_School

Old_School .22LR

As the title indicates, looking for a plug screw. My 930 is an older Breacher model with a badly canted front bead. I have removed it and simply want to plug the hole.
  2. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I would try a good hardware store for a 5/40 allen head set screw.

71wvyoUEY9L__SL1500_.jpg
    meanstreak likes this.
  3. Old_School

Old_School .22LR

I thought about that. But there would still be a hole...admittedly smaller & hex-shaped, but still a hole. :idk:
  4. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

,,,,,you could get a long one and cut it off.

,,,,,JB weld??????

Keep us posted.
  5. Old_School

Old_School .22LR

You know, JB Weld is actually a good idea. It would then be flush and barely noticeable. It's not like that hole would ever be used for anything else. That bead was seriously canted off to the side!
  6. Rob72

Rob72 .410

It will blow out. Use a 1/4" 5-40 screw, Loctite (or better, silver solder) it in place, and cut off with a Dremel. Use a Dremel emery wheel to flush it with the bore, and take it down with 200 grit wet/dry paper on the top, then refinish with cold blue, or spray-on of your choice.
  7. Old_School

Old_School .22LR

I was checking the threaded hole and it doesn't appear to penetrate the barrel. This is the heavy 18.5" barrel.
  8. Rob72

Rob72 .410

Certainly verify, but I would say it is probably a full-through hole. It would be pretty expensive to blind-hole and flat-bottom tap these barrels.
  9. Old_School

Old_School .22LR

I know it doesn't make sense on a budget shotgun, but after pushing and prying with a pin punch, it appears the hole is indeed blind and flat-bottom tapped. I also see no evidence of a hole when looking through the barrel. So I suppose I will try Mossy's suggestion of JB Weld and see if it holds.