• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Speed Bowling Match

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
The new range I joined is putting on a speed bowling match next Saturday. Been talking with the owner about adding a shotgun pit to the facilities and he decided to add a shotgun class to the bowling match. This oughtta be fun... :D

Start Position: Facing downrange, hands relaxed at side.
Start - Stop: Audible- Last Shot.
Distance: 7 yards Stage 1, 10 yards Stage 2, 13 yards Stage 3
Targets: 6 Bowling Pins per Stage.
Round Count: Comstock (unlimited rounds). Shoot until all six pins are down each Stage.
Penalties: Procedural (plus) + 3 seconds.
Scoring: Shortest time for all 3 Stages combined.
Classes: Semi-Auto, Revolver, 22 LR (pistol or rifle), Shotgun (birdshot only)
Entry Fee: $10 for first gun & $5 second gun for members, non-members pay $10 extra per day for range fee.
Setup Notes: Place pins on red dots. Continue to use pins as long as they will stand or do not create an unfair advantage.
R.O. Notes: If a shooter does not have a holster for their pistol, place the pistol on a table for the start position. Shotgun and 22 LR start position is on a table.

Yes Sir, it should be a blast! :D

The rules say birdshot only, but don't specify a shot size. Gonna pattern some #2 and BB out of the 590a1 and 930 tomorrow morning...

Nice!

Would the Blindside bird shot give a better advantage

It's possible.

I picked up a couple boxes of Remy Hi-Speed. Here's a comparison by specs...

Remington Sportsman Hi-Speed Steel

- Shot Type: BB (steel)
- Velocity:1550 fps
- Shell Length:3"
- Ounces of Shot:1-1/8 OZ
- Price: $12.99

Winchester Blind Side Waterfowl

- Shot Type: BB (steel)
- Velocity:1400 fps
- Shell Length:3"
- Ounces of Shot:1-3/8 OZ
- Price: $27.99

Looks like the Blind Side has 1/4 oz more shot, which if my math is right would equal 12-13 more pellets. It's a little bit slower, though I'm not sure how much difference that'd make inside the 13yd distance for the match. I looked at the stuff and they claim it patterns tighter too, but didn't think the few extra pellets were worth the extra $15 a box. Gonna try the Remy Hi-Speed tomorrow morning and if it doesn't print worth a damn I might have to try the Blind Side...

I have a box....haven't tried it yet. I'm going out with the mrs tomorrow to shoot up some stuff though. might just try it then...

Did you get to try the Blind Side?

I got out this morning for a little practice and put about 100 rounds into the bowling pins...

Tried the #2 and BB shot, even tried some #8 target shot. Honestly at 15yd and in it didn't really matter what I loaded, the pins dropped every time I pulled the trigger. I think the wad alone would knock 'em over. Only difference I noticed was that while the #2 and #8 shot dropped the pins right behind the stand, the 3" BB shot knocked the pins about halfway up the berm. It's more challenging at 5yd since you don't get much of a spread. When it's all said and done I think I'm gonna use the #2 shot since the 2-3/4" length will allow me load 6+1 in the 930. Can only get 5+1 with 3" shells. Figure an extra round won't hurt although at 10-15yd I was droppin all six pins with five rounds in under 2 seconds. Managed to drop 'em with four rounds once. It was AWESOME! :D

I did. It wasn't bad. I would compare it to the BB shot for a spread. I just had a 1/2" thick sheet of ply. I stood 10-15 yards away. I'm happy with it. But my #7 target loads did the same pattern too...not to mention cheaper.

I should be able to post up a pic of the plywood after work...

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad to hear it.

Man, the last few weeks have been a game changer!

The previous range only allowed slugs and now I'm wide open to shoot whatever I want. I'm like a kid in a candy store in front of the shotgun ammo wall now... :D

Well, I had a pretty good morning overall.

Everyone had a great time and we all got through it safe. Ended up shoot'n 2-3/4" Remy #2 Nitro Steel High Velocity and the 930 ran smooth and flawless. My first two rounds were 5.2 seconds at 7 yards and 4.55 seconds on the 10 yard position. I was one tenth of a second behind the leader up to that point, but had a bit of trouble on the third round. The chord on my earplugs hung up on the stock and the third shot pulled the plug out of my right ear. I got shot four off before I or the RSO realized it and it rung my bell. Had to cease fire to put my ear plug back in with the clock still running. Ended up at over 17 seconds on the third round. It really sucked, 'cause I was doin pretty good up until that point. Haven't seen the final results yet, but I think I still placed third or fourth in the shotgun class overall. Next time, I'm definitely wearing some different ear protection. Here's a pic of the shotguns in the match...

Left to Right: Benelli M4, Benelli M2, and my trusty 'ole 930 Tactical

There were three people shooting that Benelli M4 in the match. One of the guys got a video of my second round. Click the pic below for video...

Even with the SNAFU on round three, it wasn't a bad way to spend a Saturday morning... :D

^^^ Looks like tons o' fun :mrgreen: . Too bad about the glitch, but you know the saying: Stuff Happens. :shock:

Yes Sir it does.

Up until today I've never shot any kind of competition. It was a lot of fun and I know now to bring better ear plugs next time. Live and learn...

Good stuff bro! Cool to see ya in action....

I was thinkin......cut the cord. If you don't mind going cordless, or maybe cut the cord and make it shorter so it doesn't dangle as much.

Back