• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Springfield Armory...

been doing a ton of researching , handled the two contenders ....shield being the other one .
couldn't find a bad word about either , the XDs felt better, I really like the full size XD's and side by side the XDs is a nicer gun slightly, no safety.....well the grip but you dont even know that is there , so that's the way I went .....the 9mm is supposed to be a lot softer than the 45, I watched 100 video reviews and not a bad word really about 9 or 45 , I'm going with 124 +p HST

Any idea what MV will be, or have to shoot some across the chrono to find out?
I'll let you know......guessing 1000 or so.
I bought some Barnes to go in it but after watching some testing they are slow in a 3 inch barrel and didn't all expand in a proper denim ballistics test so I put those in the CZ since they were wicked from a 4.5" barrel.
The HST's all variants opened 100% from a 3" barrel, all went 13"

The xd is pretty decent striker fired pistol.

To date, I have both the OEM 40 S&W barrel, and also a 9mm conversion barrel for mine. Pretty handy to be able to shoot more than one caliber from the same gun.

The xd is pretty decent striker fired pistol.

To date, I have both the OEM 40 S&W barrel, and also a 9mm conversion barrel for mine. Pretty handy to be able to shoot more than one caliber from the same gun.
Same mags? Just barrel swap?

No, the 40 & 357 sig uses the same mag. Just a barrel swap.

The 9mm uses 9mm mags. So barrel and mag.

Yes.

Short answer, 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm magazine is all you need to do.

You can step down from 40 to 357 sig with only the conversion barrel swap since they both use the same mag.

Don't know if all that applies to the xd M or newer models, but that's what works for the original XD.

And I also use the storm lake barrel, which is SUPER nice barrel.

I did install a lighterweight spring, but wasn't entirely sure I had to, but thought I probably would. I never tried it with the 17# factory spring.

No.

You need to start out with a 40 caliber.

You can only go down in caliber starting with a large frame. Then can step down to smaller cal's.

40 to 357 sig or 40 to 9mm.

Also, I am referring to full size frames/guns. There may be a conversion for the compacts, but I am not aware of one, though I don't own one to have ever researched it.

Oh...
I thought the 9mm and .40 might somehow have the same frame.

BTW
I have the XDs 9mm and my buddy at work has the same in .45cal.
I've shot them both side by side, and I like the .45 better.
But, somehow I like my .45 Filipino 1911 clone better than either.
I guess I just like them heavy.

Last edited:
You like shooting the XDS 45?????? I have one as well, great little carry piece. But man i cant say as i enjoy shooting it. the grip is awfully small and coarse for a .45. I personally cant shoot a full mag, in succession without having to re grip, as it tends to climb out of my hands, an after a couple boxes of ammo, the web of my thumb looks like its been hit by a cheese grater. Ive actually been wanting to shoot an XDS 9 to see how it compares.

It just wasn't as tiny as the 9mm so it was easier to run.
I didn't say I liked it. I said I didn't like it as well as the 1911.

Anyhow, go run 50 rounds through a 12ga pistol grip 500. All those little guns will seem tame.
:chaingun:

Man I love mine . I shoots awesome groups but 2" left in a benched rest at 10 yards about 6" at 25 so I drifted it over a little .
It shoots really nice , real nice manners and feels great like the full size .....it is not snappy .
I shot 10 +p 124 and 50 124gr fmj over 7gr of #7 and I could have shot 200 more but it was lunch time so I had to get back
My only complaint is not the guns fault but I wish it had a smidge of a bigger beaver tail , I slowed the slide from locking on the last round twice.
It's just so small and my hands aren't.....love it though I just need to try to grip a little lower
I literally felt I could shoot it all day ,very nicely made and the spring rate could not be better

I loaded up some hot 155 gr xtp hp's for my xd40 but I haven't tested them yet.

Supposed to be ~ 1300 fps and what I consider in the mild 10mm ballpark.

Just waiting on the heavier spring from springco so I don't batter my frame using a spring 3 pounds lighter than I should be.

The holsters are pretty nice.

I have 3 of them. One for the cz75, one for the 38 snub, and another for a P22.

Yeah, I roll that way sometimes. :)

Back