• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Springfield XD40 Trigger Mod

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Re: Springfield Armory...

Received my 'Ultimate Match Target XD Trigger Kit' from Powder River Precision...

From PRP's web-store...

"This is almost as good as sending your XD in to us for a trigger job with out the add cost of shipping. The kit includes our famous striker safety lever, to remove the long trigger pre-travel on the XD trigger. Reduced power trigger and sear springs, to lower the pull weight. Our new sear that has a patented angle to help lighten the pull and give a smooth crisp break and our new trigger. The trigger is made of tough, light weight polymer that helps speed up the reset. It also has an integral over travel stop on the back of the trigger. This trigger is a Springfield Armory OEM part available on production XD and XDM pistols from the factory (see APPENDIX D4 — 21.6 Production Division Rules). Using this method of over travel stop removes added stress on the trigger bar that are present with any of the other over travel stop method. When installed correctly, the kit will give you a short crisp trigger pull (about 3.5-4lbs) with a fast reset and cut the total trigger pull length by about 1/2. The kit requires minor fitting and includes gunsmith installation instructions. Fits all XD models (EXCEPT the XD 45 thumb safety model)."

Here are the installation videos from PRP's youtube page...

PART 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEZfQwZhsY[/youtube]

PART 2

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXfAPsFj5U4[/youtube]

Installation took me about 45 minutes in total. That included time for the minor sanding needed to fit the sear and the striker safety lever. Overall it was a very easy and straight forward installation. The end result is amazing and it really does reduce the pre-travel/over-travel by roughly half. The trigger has a whole new feel now and I can't wait to get out to the range with it on Saturday.

This makes me want to order this kit even more now!

PRP just got the kits back in stock. I had to wait 3 months before I could buy mine!

First time out to the range with the new PRP Ultimate Match Target trigger this morning.

All I can say is WOW! This trigger kit is AMAZING. I was to the point of trading in my XD40sc on something else because the factory trigger used to break like a wet carrot, but I figured I'd give the PRP trigger kit a chance. I'm glad I did. It now has a very short pull/reset, with a clean, crisp break and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It greatly improved my results on target. I could finally concentrate on the bull instead of wondering when the trigger was about to break. Stopped by the LGS on my way home and measured the trigger pull at an average of 3.3 lbs.

I highly recommend the PRP triggers to anyone looking to improve their XD/XDM.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
First time out to the range with the new PRP Ultimate Match Target trigger this morning.

All I can say is WOW! This trigger kit is AMAZING. I was to the point of trading in my XD40sc on something else because the factory trigger used to break like a wet carrot, but I figured I'd give the PRP trigger kit a chance. I'm glad I did. It now has a very short pull/reset, with a clean, crisp break and is an absolute pleasure to shoot. It greatly improved my results on target. I could finally concentrate on the bull instead of wondering when the trigger was about to break. Stopped by the LGS on my way home and measured the trigger pull at an average of 3.3 lbs.

I highly recommend the PRP triggers to anyone looking to improve their XD/XDM.

For around the same price as the trigger you boutht you can send it off to the Springfield Custom Shop like I did and get a combat trigger job with overtravel adjustment done.3.3 pounds on a carry gun is to light. Mine breaks at 4 pounds smoith as glass with no pretravel or overtravel. The trigger reset is very quick.
Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Do you want to know how to takeup all the slack in your factory XD trigger? All it takes is a pennies worth of JB weld and 15 minutes.

John A. said:
Do you want to know how to takeup all the slack in your factory XD trigger? All it takes is a pennies worth of JB weld and 15 minutes.

Sounds "shade tree" and suspect to me.

That's OK, without knowing your skill level, it would probably be hard for me to explain so you would understand anyway.

I was doing trigger jobs on the XD's for years before the aftermarket ones came out. The one on my XD40 is more than 5 years old, and ???? rounds through it.

I assure you that it isn't shadetree.

The only thing it did was lengthen the factory trigger bar slightly in a single and specific place and I didn't want to go through the expense of hiring a patent lawyer and patenting the dimension and trouble of having a CNC program made to my specs to sell them.

I just didn't think there was enough demand for the product to invest that much money into something that I didn't have a gaurantee to see a return on.

Just because I didn't spend $25,000 on it to do it the right way, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Or that I don't know what I'm talking about.

tnxdshooter said:
For around the same price as the trigger you boutht you can send it off to the Springfield Custom Shop like I did and get a combat trigger job with overtravel adjustment done.3.3 pounds on a carry gun is to light. Mine breaks at 4 pounds smoith as glass with no pretravel or overtravel. The trigger reset is very quick.

I have little interest in paying to send my pistol off for a mod I can do myself. Why wait weeks when I can have it done in an hour or so?

John A. said:
That's OK, without knowing your skill level, it would probably be hard for me to explain so you would understand anyway.

I was doing trigger jobs on the XD's for years before the aftermarket ones came out. The one on my XD40 is more than 5 years old, and ???? rounds through it.

The only thing it did was lengthen the factory trigger bar slightly in a single and specific place and I didn't want to go through the expense of hiring a patent lawyer and patenting the dimension and trouble of having a CNC program made to my specs to sell them.

I just didn't think there was enough demand for the product to invest that much money into something that I didn't have a gaurantee to see a return on.

Just because I didn't spend $25,000 on it to do it the right way, doesn't mean it doesn't work.

You have my interest...
I'm very mechanically inclined and a bit of a metal worker.
I would like to hear what you have to say, PM me if you can.
Thanks

John A. said:

Well that does make sense. I wasnt sure if it was like what shade tree folks do to sigmas by removing some springs in the internals.

I'm confused.

I didn't mention a sigma, nor did I recommend omitting springs and things from a gun.

How would removing parts limit the long and excessive takeup in an XD's trigger anyway?

That doesn't make sense for the XD or the S&W either for that matter. [scratching head]

Just FWIW, I was the first person to make an extended slide stop for the XD too. The prototype is still going strong, although the finish is starting to show its' age

xdxtendedslidestop001.jpg

I guess I shouldn't have gotten so smoked about being called a shadetree, but I've been around guns for more than 30 years, and half of that professionally owning my own gun dealership and gunsmithing services including professional refinishing and built several personal weapons and designed and built my own silencers too. I made and still have a lot of friends in the Industry.

To say that I have been around the block a time or two, would be an understatement but I can honestly say it's the first time I've been called a shade tree.

John A. said:
I'm confused.

I didn't mention a sigma, nor did I recommend omitting springs and things from a gun.

How would removing parts limit the long and excessive takeup in an XD's trigger anyway?

That doesn't make sense for the XD or the S&W either for that matter. [scratching head]

Just FWIW, I was the first person to make an extended slide stop for the XD too. The prototype is still going strong, although the finish is starting to show its' age

I guess I shouldn't have gotten so smoked about being called a shadetree, but I've been around guns for more than 30 years, and half of that professionally owning my own gun dealership and gunsmithing services including professional refinishing and built several personal weapons and designed and built my own silencers too. I made and still have a lot of friends in the Industry.

To say that I have been around the block a time or two, would be an understatement but I can honestly say it's the first time I've been called a shade tree.

What I was trying to say is there are alot of people out there claiming you can fix xd's bye deburring the internals and doing ghetto trigger jobs on them. Just like with the sigma you could debur the internals which helps a great deal which I had done on a sigma when I had it. The below link talks about removing one of three springs in the sear engagement. One is a really heavy spring that messes up the trigger pull. Only the outer two are needed supposedly and this other spring was put in there to add weight to the trigger pull. Or so they claimed. Only everyone I have known that had a Sigma that removed that spring had problems with it. Thus I never tried it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... gma&page=3

tnxdshooter said:
John A. said:
I'm confused.

What I was trying to say is there are alot of people out there claiming you can fix xd's bye deburring the internals and doing ghetto trigger jobs on them. Just like with the sigma you could debur the internals which helps a great deal which I had done on a sigma when I had it. The below link talks about removing one of three springs in the sear engagement. One is a really heavy spring that messes up the trigger pull. Only the outer two are needed supposedly and this other spring was put in there to add weight to the trigger pull. Or so they claimed. Only everyone I have known that had a Sigma that removed that spring had problems with it. Thus I never tried it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... gma&page=3

I was not calling you a shade tree whether you think I was or not. I am just saying there are people out there that do stuff to guns that are shade tree. I was not sure if you were talking about doing a poor mans "ghetto" trigger job on it or if you were really talking about doing a good reliable trigger job on it. Now I see you are able to do a good trigger job on it. I envy that. I always wanted to be able to do those kinds of mods to my pistols.

Back