• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SPX CHOATE EXT. 100% RELIABILITY, HOW MANY???

TAZZD

Copper BB
I'm new to this 930 SPX, but I knew this gun has had teething problems from the get go. In another post I listed my simple problem and easy fix, I now have 845 rounds thru this beast without one FTF or FTE.

At what point does someone consider the NC mag extension over the factory Choate, with a simple follower change I see the upmost reliability someone could ask for.

Please let us know your results.

I have never had a FTF on only once have I had a FTE. That one FTE was a shell 3-1/2 mag that was over length when fired. My Choate extension has never given me any problem even since I shortened the +5 to a +4 so it didn't stick out past the barrel when I use my 24 inch rifled barrel on my 835.

"At what point does someone consider the NC mag extension over the factory Choate, with a simple follower change I see the upmost reliability someone could ask for.

Please let us know your results."
Mossberg 930- can be finicky...

I am almost at that point, or just to forget about a mag. extension completely. I got the +3 Choate to fit a 24" barrel and perhaps stick out an inch on a Home Defense bbl. Sending it back today. Could not get the gun to cycle properly. I tried the factory stock follower, tried barely tightening the end cap, and the last shell would not get into the magazine easily. Seems the brass would hang up on the loading gate, and IMO, the Choate does not have enough room for 7 rounds (the +3). The last shell seemed to have only a 1/2 inch to spare.
No matter what I tried, it got worse the more I tried. No matter what I did, the shells would not cycle out of the tube into the loading port. I think the spring is perhaps the main issue. It is too long and would have to be trimmed, just as the directions of the Nordic site specify.
Ever since I tried the Tactical breacher barrel on this gun in the past, I have had to be careful to adjust the tension of the end cap carefully: generally tight then back it off one click.

If I get the Nordic at some point, and I will wait until I get a 18.5" barrel to play with, then it will be the +2 model to fit under the HD barrel. Enough screwing around right now- sorry Choate...

I don't think the Choate extension is the problem. I had a weak and really long to compensate (35 inches) spring and junk follower in my 930 when I bought it but I switched to a Nordic Components follower and 25" magazine spring and everything functions perfectly. I didn't have any malfunctions before I upgraded but the follower did not feed as smoothly as the NC follower in my 870 and the spring felt very weak while loading.

TAZZD said:
I'm new to this 930 SPX, but I knew this gun has had teething problems from the get go. In another post I listed my simple problem and easy fix, I now have 845 rounds thru this beast without one FTF or FTE.

At what point does someone consider the NC mag extension over the factory Choate, with a simple follower change I see the upmost reliability someone could ask for.

Please let us know your results.

I would question Nordic reliability as well. I have a 1 round simple one that I cannot make work correctly, regardless of length of spring. I am now down to 8.5" extending past the magazine tube (per Nordic), and it still only works about 85% of the time. True, the testing has only involved 8 rounds of heavy duty buck, ball, and high base loads, but I find 7 of 8 to be unacceptable. The 1 in question ejected fine, but did not cycle the magazine round. I wound up almost losing the live round in the field, but luckily found it in the fine soil, not grass.
I think the 930 is just very finicky about the tension issue, it really likes the rachet-type magazine cap that will not move, and all in all, I think one would be better served by buying a factory installation, and go with a Benelli M4 for ultimate reliability...Otherwise, just get a pump and deal with the recoil! Semi-autos may be great for hunting where it does not really matter, but for critical down and dirty stuff, no law enforcement officer would have one. IMO

I've not used the Choate on a 930, but I do have a 10 rounder with spring and follower in my Winchester 1300 that has been 100% reliable.

Once you smooth up the gas tube and open up the loading port the will shoot anything reliably.
a3y9u8ym.jpg

8a8uvebe.jpg

feegee, WOW!!!!! that's a nice job!!! could you post more pics of that slick job on that receiver housing? like how much you took off in inches or mm i'm just a joe shmoe in the world but I know a good job when I see one looks like a cnc machine job is it?

Back