• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SPX minor failure during a match, help me diagnose

So I've shot my 2014 SPX in about six 3-gun matches and maybe 5 practice sessions without issue until today.

On one stage after about 3 rounds, the gun kinda jammed. So help me diagnose this. Being under the clock I didn't have a lot of time to diagnose.

The bolt was to the rear. A fresh round was on the carrier. I just stood there in shock for a few seconds wondering what to do, the bolt wouldn't budge, then I pressed the bolt release and all was well for the rest of the day.

I think the bolt just locked back while there were rounds still in the magazine. BTW, they are Federal #7.5 Walmart 100 bulk pack rounds.

So do you think it was anything I might have done? And as well as I understand how an AR and Glock's bolt locks back after the last round is fired, I've never sat down to learn the mechanics on why a 930's bolt stays back after the last round.

Howdy @Green Sub ,

The rear of your shell stop acts as the bolt stop. If the bolt is catching WITH a round on the elevator, then the shell stop lever may be bent out of spec. Either that or the front shell stop spring may be faulty and not able to push the shell stop out far enough to pivot the rear of the lever out of the bolt's path. You should be able to watch the lever through either the loading or ejection port to see if it's clearing the bolt as you manually operate the charging handle.

If it only happened once, the spring may have just been hung up on some grit or fouling. I'd spray out the lever mechanism with some solvent and make sure it's lubed up for your next range trip...

Howdy @Green Sub ,
If it only happened once, the spring may have just been hung up on some grit or fouling. I'd spray out the lever mechanism with some solvent and make sure it's lubed up for your next range trip...

LES, I think you have it. The shell stop area was not a place I was cleaning and there was a lot of build up there. It's all cleaned and lubed now. Thanks so much.

Back