• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SPX range report 09/14/2014

I have a 85360 SPX, born on 06/16/2014 and wanted to give a range report. So far I have been very satisfied with my purchase, firing about 200 rounds through her. Here are my results.

Rem 3" Mag Slugs - No issues. Like a cannon. WOW, the recoil pad works!
Win Super X 2.75" Slugs - No issues
Fiocchi 2.75" Slugs - No issues
Fiocchi 2.75" 1 oz low Recoil Slugs - No issues. Whoopie, my new 3-Gun round
Win Super X 2.75" High Base #7.5 - No issues
Rem 2.75" 1290 FPS 1 oz #8 - No issues
Fed 2.75" 3 dram Walmart 1 1/8 oz #8 - No issues, my other new 3-Gun round
Nobel 2.75" 7/8 oz low recoil #8 - 25% failure to eject
Win 2.75" Feather Weights 7/8 oz #8 - 50% failure to eject

Bushnell TRS-25 - Lines right up with the front sight. Very pleased
SureFire G2X Tactical Single-Output LED with CDM MOD-C Shotgun Flashlight Mount - Perfect fit
Wilson Combat Rem 870 Hi Viz Green Follower - Love it, perfect fit

The front sight is canted just a hair to the left. Maybe 1 degree. I was shooting 1" to the right at 25 yds with slugs and iron sights. With the TRS-25 it's dead on. Might have been that the rear sight was just a little to the right too. Anyway, no complaints.

Ordered spare pusher and forend retainer parts.

Love the center tang safety and that I saved $100's over an M2/M4. The 930 is all I need for my skill level.

Edit: I see that Fiocchi has both 7/8 oz and 1 oz low recoil slugs. I was firing the 1 oz low recoil slugs from Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fioc...WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products#productChart

Last edited:
Nice!

Looks like you've got a great set-up and it's good to see you're able to run a variety of ammo, including some low recoil, with no hiccups. I've been extremely pleased with my 930's and know you will enjoy yours. Keep us posted on your progress in competition...

930SPX.jpg

5 Fiocchi 2.75" 1 oz Low Recoil Slugs at 25 yards with the non magnified TRS-25

Whoopee!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds good. The 7/8 oz loads are really light. I used to load them this light when I shot clays a lot. I did not have my 930 back then but it does not surprise me that they fail to cycle more frequently. They just don't build up as much pressure, but they are a joy to shoot, even out of a pump gun.

I shot the SPX for the first time in a 3 gun match today and it ran great. No issues at all. This match was on our Action Pistol bays and I only shot Fed 2.75" 3 dram Walmart 1 1/8 oz #7.5's.

Got to shoot the Fiocchi 2.75" 1 oz Low Recoil Slugs at poppers that were 50 yards out under the clock at a 3 gun match last weekend.

They work great. I'm VERY pleased with this setup.

Back