• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Starting to regret...

ufgators68

Copper BB
Buying this 935. First the magazine cap and now the hydro dip camo is coming off.

Have any of y'all had that happen?

Hydro-dip isn't all that durable, that's for sure. Hope you get it resolved.

Given enough time, I have also worn off blueing and Parkerizing from guns. Especially in high wear areas.

I have reblued my old stevens shotgun 3 different times now matter of fact.

I understand why it's particularly bad for a camo to chip and scratch, but such is life.

I don't like it when my car gets dinged in parking lots either. It ticks me off to no end, but it still happens.

What happened to the magazine cap? Do you have any pics of the camo coming off?

The gun is only a month old and I wouldn't be worried if the dip came off of the barrel or stock but it is coming off where my scope base was mounted. A spot that doesn't get much contact.

The magazine cap fell apart and when the shotgun hit the ground, it broke the rear sight and plugged the barrel with mud. Luckily that was on my way out. Mossberg replaced the parts but I still have some paracord helping to carry the load.

Pic of the camo coming off...
SbxsK8P.jpg

It just wiped off like a chemical had been used on it. Only chemical to get on it might have been some blue loctite that may have backed out of a screw hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You said the scope base was mounted (and I can clearly see where the scope base had probably been in contact with the receiver). And during a fall, broke the sight off and the magazine cap.

Is there a reason why you took the scope rail back off of the gun? Was it, or the scope damaged in the fall too? That would seem to have been a pretty hard hit to have done all of that.

I wander if there was some form of chemical present or perhaps left over from anodizing the rail or something that was still present when you put it on the gun? That is a possibility. Especially if you are certain that no one added any type of adhesive when installing the mount, or while jerry-rigging it trying to repair the damage. If that is what happened.

The magazine cap is a separate issue that happened the day after I bought it. The factory sights are the sights that were broken. Scope was added later because the factory sights suck. Just cheap metal things that bend/move with the slightest amount of pressure.

I took the scope rail off so that I could do some clay shooting this summer. Did this with my previous shotgun quite often.

It is possible that there could have been something on the rail but I wiped it and the shotgun down before I installed the rail. The only chemical that I used was small drops of blue loctite on the rail screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another reason why I camo my guns with Krylon and a sponge.
Scratches, knicks or anything else is are all an easy fix.

Dipping looks great in the beginning but there is no guarantee it will last.

Pretty sure that is what I am going to do. That finish is too pretty and too shiny. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can relate with that. I have had several problems with my 935, but I agree with LTB45. Just use a few variations of krylon camo spraypaint. You can make some really cool camo patterns with leaves or an old laundry net or rope to make contrasting patterns on the gun. It's also very forgiving if you make a mistake just spray over it. And when the paint starts to wear off just touch it up.

Contacted Mossberg and they emailed me a prepaid shipping label. They are going to take care of it, according to Leticia.

I'm a new Mossberg shotgun owner, so I am always happy to hear of their Customer Service coming through for us buyers of their products.

Took them a while but finally got my 935 back last week. Looks like they refinished the entire gun.

My only problem, if I didn't have fedex notifications turned on, I never would have known it was coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You know you can always use mossy oak gun wrap. From the ones I have seen done they look great, but not as good as dipped camo. The wraps are water proof, and very durable.

Back