• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

steel magazine follower??

kalboy

Copper BB
Hello everyone. I've been wondering if anyone has installed a steel replacement magazine follower
in their 464 or can advise where one could be obtained. I've tried the one purchased for my Rossi Rio Grande and it locks up the action, so I already can say these won't work. Thanks for having me here on Mossberg Owners!

Thanks for posting, thatcoolguy. Going to order one. My plastic original looks kinda flimsy. Do you think a stainless spring is necessary too?

I replaced my spring with a Stainless one originally designed for a 20" barrel Uberti (the only one I could find - also from The Smith Shop). It is a lot shorter than the stock one, but still functions well. I would have the plastic follower consistently bind up in the magazine tube. This issue has been eliminated with the stainless follower.

I am now onto another issue where the rounds are not feeding into the loading ramp. I see there is already a post discussing this issue, so I won't go in depth. I am going to remove the butt stock, fore end, and magazine tube off the rifle in order to clean out some tight spaces where 'over lubrication' may have built up.

I use this rifle very seldom, but do like it's functionality as a 'back up' line of defense while tracking wounded bears while archery hunting.

Last edited:
thatcoolguy,
Thanks mate and I am going to look for that loading ramp post. Should be an interesting read.
Good luck with your rifle too:)

Update....the follower I mentioned in the op was from The Smith Shop and it turned out to be the wrong size that was sent, so when the proper size for a 30-30 arrived it worked perfectly. No surprise I also have had great luck with their followers in other guns.

Back