• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Steel Shot

The barrel isn't your concern. Unless you're in some special situation any barrel will shoot steel. It's your chokes. The accu-choke and accu-mag chokes are fine for steel. Your 500 should use them. Don't know about the 88.

Steel is mainly used for the fact that it's non-toxic. Other advantages are that its lighter than lead so you've got increased velocity. That won't play a big role in a self defense situation.

If you're planning on defending yourself from a home invasion forget using a shotgun and buy a small, high capacity pistol which has moderate power. Like a 9mm Parabellum. Controllable recoil, high capacity, small size, won't sail through the wall and kill the neighbors.

Steel won't harm the barrel itself.

That being said, I'd stay away from steel shot for self defense. Steel doesn't deform on impact like lead and the pellets will ricochet off surfaces, even those you wouldn't expect. I've been hit with steel shot from a ricochet off a target placed on a wooden railroad tie. Several of us back off the line were peppered with shot. The shooter was firing from 10yd and we were back at about 30yd. It was just enough to break the skin, but none of us were seriously injured...

Wow, I will never use steel shot.
So what shotguns do you think that have had the problems on the link I posted?

Not all shotgun chokes and barrels are hard enough for steel shot. This was more of an issue with older guns and early choke tubes that were made of softer metal. Over time the steel would erode the constriction and the guns were chokes "shot out". Most tubes these days are hard enough to shoot steel shot without any concerns, but it does not hurt to check esp when buying aftermarket tubes. Not all turkey tubes are rated for steel/hevi shot.

Steel is lighter than lead. It's primary use in for waterfowl hunting as lead has been banned.

That article clearly states the issue and what to do to keep your gun safe. With those in mind you can clearly shoot steel.

Back