• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sticking safety on Mossberg 500

Wileyboy

Copper BB
I have an old New Haven 600 (Mossberg 500) and lately every time I fire, the safety seems to engage. If I click it on and off again and I can fire again. It used to happen intermittently, but now it's happening every shot. Any help you guys can give me would be awesome!

The safety is nothing but a mechanical blocker. The entire operation and movement is dependent on a little ball bearing sitting on a spring under the switch that slides between 2 holes in a spacer between the switch and the receiver.
Sounds like the spring has lost its tension or something.
As for a fix.
I would look on ebay for the ball bearing and spring. You may need to buy a entire kit that has the switch, the backing plate/spacer, the spring and the ball.
Its a 5 minute fix once you have the parts.

You can also stretch the spring a lil bit if you need it now. But replacing the parts is the better option....

I've rebuilt a few safety's. You can also buy the parts from Brownells.

Often the springs will lose strength or they will stick if enough grit or dust get in there. I've also seen the ball bearing go out of round and cause sticking issues. They are really east to repair, just go slow and make a mental note of the orientation of the parts, esp the interior piece that the screw threads into, that is what actually prevents the gun from firing and it is possible to put it in backwards.

The one way screw head can easily (usually) be removed by using a large screw driver. Use a lot of down pressure and slowly work it back out.

Hello !
I am looking at a 1996 twenty gauge 500. It does not have a gold colored trigger. It's about 75% rust free-mostly on barrel and cooling rail mounts. Have any of you sent a barrel to Mossberg to have one refinished?
It's a nice gun for the asking price $125-150. Just a few tiny areas of rust. Just wondering if anyone has done this. Receiver and bore are excellent.

All of my 500's have been bought used. 4 so far. Just find a barrel on Gunbroker or Ebay.
Or cold blue it yourself. Its a 500 work horse. No need to send it to Mossberg for blue.

Cooling rail mounts? The Rib.

^ I second that.

You'll pay more to ship and refinish that barrel than you would for a new one...

Really barrels for 500's are a dime a dozen. Just be patient and look every day at the used online sites. You will find one at a good price. Clean up the receiver and cold blue it if needed. The gun will be good to go.

Back