• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Still go to go shotgun?

12gafun

.270 WIN
I had to sell my Mossy 500 SP about 5+months ago, need some cash for medical issues. Well I am starting to get better, getting back to full time work. So here in a few weeks I am wanting another shotgun for the gun collection. I have been looking at the other budget shotguns out there, the Linberta, ASI & Winchester. But I like the look of the Mossberg Maverick 88, the one I can get is the High capacity one, I can see that the price has went up on them a bit, I can get one out the door for around $270, maybe $260.
So are these Maverick 88 shotguns a good bang for the buck. I have looked at a few & they look almost the some to my 500 SP. I have read some of the older post on here about the 88 but I just like some fresh feedback that's all. Thanks for the replies here is a pic of the one I am considering, I could get it from bud's but after the FFL fee I would be about he some price as my local shop & I like supporting my local shops.

Mav88.JPG

Absolutely love mine. I have two 12 gauge and one 20 gauge. In fact, I prefer them to the 500 because of the crossbolt safety. I have a 500 also. Take care. Tom Worthington

Absolutely love mine. I have two 12 gauge and one 20 gauge. In fact, I prefer them to the 500 because of the crossbolt safety. I have a 500 also. Take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks for your reply, I am really getting closer to picking up one of these 88 shotguns here in a few weeks.. I just want to find one at a good price point.

Yes, they're good guns.

They're essentially a 500, except the handguard attachment method is different. And the safety as Tom has mentioned.

Good to know, I just like getting other opinions on items before I purchase, I like the one I am looking at holds more in the mag tube than my 500 did, I am not sure about the LOP I know I might have to mod the stock or get a different butt stock, I am not one for the pistol grip style ones, been looking at others. ATI makes one but the price is a bit high for what you get I think.

I have 4 500's. All bought used. Cost me less than a new 88.
I love the safety on the 500.
Just my personal preference.

I too prefer the safety of the 500. That aside, I know of no reason not to get one. The forend is different than some of the 500's but many of the 500's/835's are using that forend set up now. It isn't my first choice but it works. My 835 uses that style.

If you shop around and wait for a deal, you might be able to get a Mossberg 500 8-shot for just a little bit more money. I picked mine up from Big 5 Sporting Goods. On sale for $299, OTD for $317.

They usually run sales on Mavericks for around $199 too.

Well done. If you do not mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get? Take care. Tom Worthington

Well got it for $265 OTD, plus free shells, gave me box of Winchester super X 00 buck. Not to bad of deal since this was about what I would paid elsewhere aftet FFL fee, shipping etc.
My opinion about it so far, is too me it feels to be better assembled than that 500 SP I had before. I like the fact it holds 7+1 capacity in all looks and feels solid.

I have 4 500's. All bought used. Cost me less than a new 88.
I love the safety on the 500.
Just my personal preference.
I looked everywhere locally for a used 500 but the ones I found where in the same price point used as this Maverick 88 was new. I like supporting my local shops over ordering at some of these big online outlet stores or the big sporting good chains. I have this little gun shop I have been going to for years now & they usually haggle out a deal with me. I had a 500 SP but I think that this Maverick 88 that I just got seems to be better made than that 500 SP was, the 500 had a lot more machining marks in the receiver, the fit and finish was also a bit off, that profile pic is of my old 500 & it was still on the shelf where I purchased this Maverick I even compared the 2, by holding each racking the action, them Maverick seemed smoother. I was thinking about just getting my old 500 back but it was $265+tax OTD so I opted for the newer shotty.

12gafun,

I know you are going to be very satisfied with your 88 extended mag shotgun. I'm happy for you!

Thanks, I really like the feel of this shotgun, the higher capacity & still have options. Getting a sidesaddle that Akitia butt stock. Chosing the Akita cause still gives that classic shotgun butt stock look but with the options of LOP adjustment.

Just cannot wait till I get to the range to test out that Maverick 88.

I have both the Hogue 12" LOP Buttstock and the ATI Akita. I like the Akita better, but my cat likes the Hogue better. My cat eats the Hogue over-molded rubber. I use the Mossberg ghost ring sights on my Standard 590 and the adjustable height of the Akita's cheek rest in the middle position works great for me.

I really got my eye on that Akita ATI butt stock, hopefully I can purchase this week or maybe next.

Nice, I think you will like that gun!!

Back