• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

still struggling with mounting and fit issues

Goater

I've recently returned to trap shooting, after a long layoff, and I'm uncovering problems that seem to be related to mount and fit. In trying to correct my mount ... I was shouldering the gun at the line and then rolling my head over to acquire the sight plane ... which was cocking my eyes at an angle to horizontal. I seem to be correcting that but seem to be violating another suggested mount issue.

I keep seeing that your thumb should be only a couple of inches from your nose. When I solve the above mentioned issues, my thumb is probably about 4 inches from my nose.

Any feedback on this?

I've recently returned to trap shooting, after a long layoff, and I'm uncovering problems that seem to be related to mount and fit. In trying to correct my mount ... I was shouldering the gun at the line and then rolling my head over to acquire the sight plane ... which was cocking my eyes at an angle to horizontal. I seem to be correcting that but seem to be violating another suggested mount issue.

I keep seeing that your thumb should be only a couple of inches from your nose. When I solve the above mentioned issues, my thumb is probably about 4 inches from my nose.

Any feedback on this?

Hang in there. We have a member that is a championship competition shooter. @LTB45 , hopefully he will chime in and be able to help you further.

Scotty and old mossy ... thanks for the feedback ... I expect to shoot a couple of rounds tomorrow and that could provide some personal feedback ... assuming I don't over think the whole thing. I'd welcome any feedback that can put this in perspective ... better to shoot than chew your nails

Holding the gun at the ready position, close your eyes, mount the gun & plant your cheek on the stock. When you open your eyes, if you're looking straight down the barrel rib, you're doing it right.

Hey Goater Welcome back to the world of Trap!!!
Since you have shot the game before then you are not a newbie so you must already have a good grasp of the game.
As you probably already know to get the correct fit of your gun, is very important.
Rolling your head to acquire your sight picture is NEVER good.
If you have a long neck then you need to move the gun up on your shoulder.
If that is not possible with the set up you have then you may need to add one of these
Morgan Adjustable Recoil Pad
s7_220713_imageset_01

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/220...views/reviews.htm?sort=submissionTime&dir=asc

Hopefully this will help you hit more targets. If you need any more help please
don't hesitate to ask.

Back