Stock design

Discussion in 'ATI' started by John A., Jul 31, 2017.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Does ATI ever plan to make a stock or stock adapter that is more inline with the barrel rather than below the center line of the barrel?

I understand with the odd angle that many shotgun receivers are would take a little thought being put into getting the design just right, but the ATI stock being BELOW the center line of the barrel lends to more muzzle rise than other designs that have the stock at or slightly above the bore just by sheer physics and how a fulcrum works.

Example: Mesa Tactical High Tube as seen below. And even it could use some redesigning to close that unsightly gap above the receiver at the start of the rail.

I understand the Mossberg model would have to have the gap due to the safety placement, but Remingtons and Winchesters and many other guns isn't an issue to eliminate the gap altogether.

I'm not busting your chops, just stating what I think would be obvious to any designer.

[​IMG]
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  2. ATIgunstocksUSA

ATIgunstocksUSA ATI Outdoors Sponsor

Thanks for reaching out John,

We do not speak on future product designs as a rule, but in regards to a stock resembling the one above I can say that I believe it's unlikely to happen from us in the near future.
  3. ATIgunstocksUSA

Hey John, as a follow-up can we ask you if you've ever used our T3 Stock? We'd love to get you one to try - and then you can let us know how much muzzle rise you get. Our system is extremely controllable and we believe you'd like it very much with use.

Thanks for your time!

ATI
    John A. likes this.
  4. John A.

No sir, I haven't tried your T3 stock.

I do have one of your (very) old stocks that came with a standard M4 stock on it though I did put a magpul stock on it because I liked it better.

Nonetheless, here is a photo of how it has been for many years now.

500 005.JPG

When I mentioned earlier that stock I linked above, I wasn't necessarily meaning to make a copy of it. Besides, I'm sure there are probably more than one patent on it anyway, but mainly to show the stock inline with the bore.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't mind trying one of the newer version to see how it does. I can say the grip looks a lot more comfortable and the overall design looks a lot more robust than the old style like I have.

Just send me a PM with who I would need to talk to about getting a tester stock or what I need to do.
  5. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

Not to hi jack but with popularity of the hi point carbine why has the ATI stock disappeared? I could sure use one for the 9mm if yall are sweeping up and find a dusty forgotten one behind a box somewhere.
  6. ATIgunstocksUSA

Hey Djcala,

Funny you should mention that. We actually noticed the desire form customers to see the Hi-Point Stock brought back and did just that.
    You can find them here. Just note that they will not fit the new Hi-Point 995TS due to manufacturer's new retaining clips and new receiver shroud or the 40 or 45 cal versions.
  7. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

I have the newer TS model will judicious use of a dremel tool remedy interference areas ? I have no fear of some modification.
  8. ATIgunstocksUSA

We have never tested modifying for the TS so I cant give a definitive answer. I have however heard that some have done it. If you google around you may be able to find more information on the modification or even a video. Just know that modification of that sort voids the warranty so as soon as you decide to do so you loose the warranty. If you find an easy way to get the fit please keep us posted, we'd be interested to hear how it goes.
  9. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

Thank you for quick response il do some checking.
    ATIgunstocksUSA likes this.
  10. nitesite

nitesite Ammo Nerd Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

See my signature..... (sigh)
  11. John A.

I just wanted to let you know the stock got here today. I hope to be able to put it on later this week and put some low recoil OO buck through it maybe this weekend.

Thanks again for letting me have it to try.
  12. John A.

Still waiting for my shoulder to start feeling better after the strain so I can really put the stock through its' paces.

But I was able to throw a shell carrier on the side of it.

I admit that I wasn't all that fond of it when I first got it out of the box. But it is starting to grown on me more now that it's been on there a little while. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works soon.
  13. John A.

I was able to put some 00 Buck through the gun this evening and it was an improvement over the old style stock like I've had for years.

The rubber backstrap on the grip and the thick cushiony recoil pad was a very nice improvement in the way the recoil felt too. It changed the way the gun felt when shooting it.

The stock tube is inline with the magazine, which is still lower than I would personally prefer by moving it up to behind the barrel itself, but in all fairness, the ATI was the same placement and angle as the factory wood stock.

So far, so good.

Edit to add:
    I was also pleased to see that all of the allen head screws were SAE standard size instead of metric (Chinese).

14. ATIgunstocksUSA

Thanks for testing it out John. Glad you like it. Thanks for noticing the screw size, made in America!
  15. John A.

Yes, thanks again for letting me.

As for Made in America, yes, I do notice that, and prefer that whenever possible.

Sadly, many companies will outsource parts from overseas, and put some parts together in the country and slap a "made in America" sticker on them which I don't feel is the case here.

And when I notice that they don't seemingly have any foreign parts, it stands out and was worth noting.

And is appreciated.
  16. ATIgunstocksUSA

We really appreciate you noticing. All our design, molding, assembly, and shipping happens right here in America.
    John A. likes this.